Peak HP & Shift Point

Murasame

Ok so I've been thinking about this for a while. I know on a lot of cars redline is optimum shift point, but on many it isn't. What relation is there between the peak HP & torque (HP: 130 hp @ 6000 rpm,Torque: 121 lbs.-ft. @ 5000 rpm) and the optimum shift point? My redline is at 6700 rpm I believe. I'm just getiing into racing and these things so sorry if I sound like an idiot. Thanks for the help.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Ideally in a perfect powerband, you would shift when you arrive at peak HP. Then as you shift, rpm's drop down to the point of your peak torque, and you resume acceleration from there. You want to always be inside the powerband. Redline isn't usually necessarily where you should shift, that's just there to show the mechanical limitations of the engine. But if it's necessary to rev to redline to stay inside the powerband then that's what you should do.

Murasame

TegSox said:
Ideally in a perfect powerband, you would shift when you arrive at peak HP. Then as you shift, rpm's drop down to the point of your peak torque, and you resume acceleration from there. You want to always be inside the powerband. Redline isn't usually necessarily where you should shift, that's just there to show the mechanical limitations of the engine. But if it's necessary to rev to redline to stay inside the powerband then that's what you should do.
Very helpful! Exactly what I was looking for, thanks a lot.

tonys2teg

super brother
just wait for the rev limiter to kick in than shift.
hahah don't listen to me quick way to blow you motor, in racing most of the time i shift at 6500rpm unless tha other car is to close then i might bounce it off the rev limiter a couple of times