Physh1's 2001 GSR build/restore...

Physh1

I'm a GM guy but getting 12-14mpg with a 5 day a week commute is no bueno. 2 weeks ago I picked up this one owner Canadian spec GSR that had ~303,xxx KM on it. Detailed records, woman owned, & it's in pretty good shape. Only things up front are matching holes in the driver floor mat & carpet from heels wearing through @ the clutch pedal & a few little scuffs here & there.

Going for just a restoration of sorts at this point with mods applying to safety & function. I've got a few things in store...

-NRG setup with Momo wheel
-new carpet
-new oem floormats
-push button start (hidden)
-hid retro kit (honest retro not a $35 kit)

Anyhow, here are a few pics of how it looks now...

What I was communting in until I got the GSR...

HID retro (parts from Matt @ TRS) Tuned 5.3, 4.56 gears F&R, 22" Boss 330's, 4/6 drop (only stock pieces left are the front knuckles & rear upper control arm), Corsa exhaust, CAI, & lots more...

Anyhow, hoping to keep my teg clean & stealthy with suble mods.

Cameron

justjdm

DB8 Whore
Nice! Is there any difference between the Canadian GSR and the USDM GSR besides the cluster?

Physh1

It has a 120vplug in the grill opening that runs to a block heater. Other that that, to this point, I've only been able to tell is has DRL's too which I'm not sure comes on USDM versions.

Cameron

Physh1

Got my NRG setup with Momo wheel on this afternoon. I also wired up the horn...not too bad to do but just took a little longer since I'm a bit of a perfectionist. Going to wire up the cruise buttons too as soon as I figure out where I want to mount the buttons.

My DIY horn harness...stripped copper contact wire with lead to connect to 12v along with ring terminals...

Heat shrink on the ring terminals...it's npt done in this pic & barely visible in the next but I soldered the copper wire to give it a little rigidity...

Used 2 of the old SRS ring mounting locations (plastic & non conductive) to secure the contact wire ends for the horn. The black lead will wire into the 12v from the horn/cruise harness...

On the 2001 the wire next to the empty pin is the 12v. Just soldered the end of the wire & it's snug & secure for now. I'll do something more permanent when the cruise gets wired back in...

Install done...Momo Competition wheel, NRG short hug, & NRG 3.0 quick release with horn wired up...

Cameron

Last edited:

ejAlex

Looks like a really clean project to start with