Question about meters on side of cars?

maluskeeter

I was wondering what those little "meters" people have on the side of their car, im not sure what its called...but when people fix their car up they usually put 3 to 4 little time meters looking things on the side of the driver window...what are those called and whats their purpose??..

Todd

token ex-mod
maluskeeter said:
I was wondering what those little "meters" people have on the side of their car, im not sure what its called...but when people fix their car up they usually put 3 to 4 little time meters looking things on the side of the driver window...what are those called and whats their purpose??..
hmmmm... no clue what you're talking about. could you post any pics?

SlyDC2

he's talking about a gauge pod on the pillar... they're things like oil temp, air and fuel bs.. you dont need them unless you're very heavily modded, FI, etc... or yanno if you just wanna be uber cool :roll:

Todd

token ex-mod
oooooooooh ok i get it now, we put a volt meter and water temp on my gf's car on the drivers pillar.
the volt meter is for the audio system so i know when i'm drawing too much power and the water temp gauges is to give me a little more idea of when to give the car a rest when i'm driving it really hard.... other gauges are for different purposes but they all just give you a lil more info about what you're car is doing.

DownShift96GSR

Yeah those gauges give you info on the condition of your engine. If you have a supercharger, turbo, or are a fully built all motor car, those gauges help. There's exhaust gas temp, water temp, oil temp, oil pressure, volts, air/fuel ratio, boost/vaccum gauges. I'm sure there's other little nit-pick gauges out there. But those are your basic ones.

maluskeeter

ive noticed that people have them "into" their door pillar somehow...how can that happen??....its like a part of the door pillar, do i have to cut the door open and put them in their....

DownShift96GSR

They make an extra plastic piece that you place on the pillar. You can get custom pieces made I believe. You don't have to cut into your door to put them there. You can use the pillar or you can just screw em onto the pillar thats already there.