Tein SS coilovers with 2001 GS-R and......

GSR6377

Been saving 4 quite a while now for a nice suspension and Im pretty sure I have decided on Tein my 2001 GSR ( http://www.autocarparts.com/part/877/3 ). Being My first time lowering a car I want to do this right, Im not worrird about the cost too much. I want to give my car that CLEAN look, how much of a drop would you guys drop it ? For those who drive lowered cars, at what height do you have problems hitting the underside?And Finally, camber kits.......Needed?,How much? and whats a good brand to look at?

Thanks Everyone.

Darrell

I think 1.5 in the front and 1.75 in the back would be nice and the Tein SS is a nice suspension setup. I am not sure about brands but you most def need a camber kit.

slikk

Money Getter
good thing i read hits .. i didnt know i would need a camber kit ...

why is the back droped lower than the front ?
is coilcover the only good way to drop a car ?
what about just buying shorter springs ?

Aphex

Originally posted by "slikk"

good thing i read hits .. i didnt know i would need a camber kit ...

why is the back droped lower than the front ?
is coilcover the only good way to drop a car ?
what about just buying shorter springs ?
Yeah, with a low coilover setup, your gonna want a camber kit. And no, coilovers arnt the only good way to go, coilovers are much more aimed at people who are constantly autocrossing etc, where they need to adjust, and KNOW HOW to tune their suspension all the time. I can give you article upon article stating that if you are not a extremely knowledgable and daily autocrosser, or if this car is your daily ride, its much better to go with a nice spring/shock setup. Coilovers are not meant for "practical use" although they can be if tuned correctly. If you have a good friend who knows how to adjust, then get those coilovers, but otherwise i'd go with spring/shocks. I plan to purchase some Koni yellows and H&R sports.

edit: this post was reffering to "true coilovers", such as the Tein's.

Darrell

I have tokico blues and ground control coilovers I just got them and they are waiting for summer :D

GSR6377

I was looking at the Ingalls front camber kits and i noticed that they said it was not good to have there product if you were planning on lowering more than 1.25 in. Anyone know why and if it will really do any harm?

DB7Racer

Its a possibility that the camber kit you were lookin at can only be adjusted to a certain degree. The lower the car, the more negative camber you will receive. I highly recommend Skunk2 camber kit for the front though and ingalls for the rear.

slikk

Money Getter
mu brother lowered his 94LS and he doesnt have a camberkit ...
and his car is running fine.

evan2

i have tein SS, i love them worth every penny.. i have a full write up on the install with pics for the teg if you need it

i would reccomend a camber kit in the front though see if someone can just adjust the toeof the car, this is usually why you ruin tires

you never want perfect camber is ruins handling

i have skunk2 camber kit on the front fixed my issues nicely

the rear, if you need it done waste money on a camber kit.. all you need is longer bolts and some washers.. does teh same thing

my rear is stock though, the camber is fine back there

Baldy201

I lowered my car 1.75 in front and 1.5 in the rear with H&R Sports. I love the ride. I have stock shocks on them now and the ride is fine. I dont have a Camber Kit on my car either and it is fine but my tires will wear faster with the improper camber. Another thing is get a alignment when you get the camber kit. They have certain tools to do it correctly and should not be attempted by your self unless you have experiance. Just remember that when the car is lowered that the ride will be harsher no matter what setup you have.
BTW Tein is good, if you do autocross or are going to go all show. For less money you can get a spring/shock set up that will be the same if you intend to keep it at the same height all the time. Just my 2 cents

evan2

i love me teins when i race.. i can make the rear hard and the front soft.. 16 way adjustable
most struts might over 5 way which isnt much honestly

its a great set up for teh street not just to auto x on.. that is why they are the SS.. they are a street application