Vtec question?

gsrdriver

everytime when i try my car, it seems taht the vtec kicks, stops, kicks again. I hear the vtec skipping i'm worried im thinking that it might be not enought oil pressure, can you guys give me some tips?.
Also i just changed my oil and it still doing it. O yea the car is a 94 GSR.
Thanks

LarGray

the vtec system kicks in at past 5000rpm and in basiclly every gear should do that might be somehting wrong with the head

sid77

Possibly your vtec solenoid is bad someone else on here might be able to give better insight. The solenoid changes the cam profiles by the use of oil pressure so if the solenoid is bad it could cause this anomoli.

Baldy201

yea it may be your solenoid. it maybe best to take it to a Honda mechanic that knows Vtec insted of messing something up there. just a suggestion

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
LarGray said:
the vtec system kicks in at past 5000rpm
In a GSR, VTEC activates at 4400 rpm, and the intake manifold opens up the short runners (the secondaries) at 5700 rpm's. Alot of people (including me once upon a time) think that when they hear the intake manifold's secondaries open at 5700, it's the VTEC kicking in. You can't hear VTEC activate if your car's I/H/E are still stock. In my particular case, my first mod was an AEM CAI, and I could BARELY hear VTEC activate. Then i put on an Apexi WS exhaust, no change. But then when I did my JDM ITR header and Carsound cat (at the same time) VTEC was very audible, and damn does it sound cool, I might add.

Last edited:

95teg

dont feel bad teg sox..lol on the 1/4 times i have a 95 gsr.. K&N intake, chikara headers, catco highflow and i ran a 15.4 in the 90's..but what do u plan on doing with the cams and a/f (i'm getting a v-afc also) i just wanted some tips..
sorry if i changed the thread.. just pm if u want

socalgsr33

ok..... youve got a 94 gsr.... The big question is when was the last time you did a good valve adjustment. In my 96 i had 120000 miles on it and no vtec.. i went from shop to shop and nobody could figure out what it was. I replaced the o2 sensor, the vtec solenoid, ecu, and all kinds of other things and same thing i couldnt get the vtec to hold. i decided to take the matter into my own hands and tried some of my ideas. What i ended up doing was taking off the valve cover and adjusting all of the valves. Little did i know that the car had never had a valve adj. and the clearence was nill. i couldnt even get a .006 feeler guage in there for clearence on either cam. After i adjusted everything i slapped on an adj. fuel pressure regulator and my vtec was screamin. so my advice to you is to grab a chilton and take your time and adjust those valves.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
My ECU is reprogrammed with Hondata, that's my tuning system. A friend of mine ownes a tuner shop so I got it done for free, otherwise its hella expensive, but it's the best out there. I'm just waiting for him to get a free day to tune my setup, he's a busy dude. I mean, its going to be free to tune my stuff when we finally do it, so I can't really complain about waiting, you know. But the wait is KILLING ME! There's so much more power in there to be pulled out, it will be a glorious day. I also have a stereo system that's weighing me down a bit 8)

Last edited: