Wheel size

IntegrasAreBest

Honda / Acura Fanatic
Hey guys isnt it true that a teg with big rims(well not really big 16 and up) will be slower than a teg with the stock 15 inch alloys, and lets just say both have the same mods ( hmm basic mods like i/h/e/ performance tires) and both tegs are the same model( gs,gsr, whatever)

speedin

The Transporter
depends on wheel weight. and im assuming that the tires on the bigger wheels are the same brand, also another variable is the overall diameter (tire+wheel) of the wheel. that will change speed and will also offset your speedometer. any way. resubmit question with all the varibles :banana:

speedin

The Transporter
:lol: . ok ok, lets say that the 15in stellies are (i dunno) 15lb's each. and with the tire on them they have a diameter of um...... 20in. now aftermarket 17in rims weighing in at 15lb's with low pros (with the same tread design as the 15 steelies) with a diameter of 20in(same as above). u will see no gauge de-calabration, and keep your speed (although their is a centrifical mass issue, but thats intense so lets not get into that). now lets say those aftermarkets were 17in rims and they had normal tires so the total diameter was 22in, now that will de-calibrate gauges and slow u down. on the other end of the spectrum, lets say (again) 17in rims with super low profile tires, so your total diameter is 18in, you will speed up but your gauges will fall off calibration. ok now those combinations above all weighed 15lb(15in,and 17in), now i'll change the weight... ok 17in rims weighing in at 20lb's, riding on normal wheels , (so diameter is OEM 20in). but now the rim weighs more (cintrifical mass) you will slow down due to the axle having to move more weight. now if they were 17in rims weighing in at 5lb's, riding on normal wheels , (so diameter is OEM 20in). now the wheels can turn the wheel easyer due to the decreaced cintrifical mass, so you gain speed. their whew!

Black_GS

damn that shit is advance shit ....but all i know is that the smaller the rim at the front for us integeras and other front wheel drive cars mean more torque to the wheel but bigger rims is better for highway or freeway..correct me if im wrong but thats what i been told and heard..

speedin

The Transporter
smaller more torque (depending on weight) yea. as for bigger better on the highway. that all has to do with the contact patch. usually bigger rims have a bigger contact patch. for highway this provides geater stabitity, at higher speeds. a good tire is a balance between these 2! best id say is a BBS(light a$$ wheels) 17in rims, wraped in a ultra low profile wheel (my fav is the TA-KDW, its a rain/dry ultra performance tire) now this set-up will cost u an arm and a leg but their will be no upgrading(unless u go full racing)

IntegrasAreBest

Honda / Acura Fanatic
yeah thats what i heard too so thats why i asked thanks speedin

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Hey speedin, he's not asking about how larger/smaller diameter rims throw off your speedometer, He wants to know if they make your car faster or slower. It seemed like you were saying that if a speedo that's skewed by a larger diameter wheel/tire combo says your slower, then you actually are slower.

It not only depends on the weight of the rim, but how far from the center of the wheel the weight is located.
For example, a rim that weighs 20 pounds with the bulk of its mass near the middle and center of the wheel will be easier for the engine to turn than a rim that weight 20 pounds and has most of its weight near the outside of the wheel. Less HP used to get the wheels moving = more HP to the ground.
Compare it to swinging a baseball bat. You can swing the bat a lot faster by grabbing it at the barrel and swinging the handle end than you can by grabbing the handle and swinging the barrel end, even though the weight of the bat hasn't changed, it takes more energy to get the bat moving when the bulk of its weight is on the outside.
It's true, larger and heavier rims make for smoother highway driving. The longer (and usually wider) contact patch allows more road vibrations to be absorbed by the tire and wheel than a smaller wheel/tire would. Also, the added weight of a larger/heavier wheel contains more inertia than a lighter wheel, therefore it requires less work by the engine to keep them moving.

speedin

The Transporter
TegSox said:
Hey speedin, he's not asking about how larger/smaller diameter rims throw off your speedometer, He wants to know if they make your car faster or slower. It seemed like you were saying that if a speedo that's skewed by a larger diameter wheel/tire combo says your slower, then you actually are slower.

It not only depends on the weight of the rim, but how far from the center of the wheel the weight is located.
For example, a rim that weighs 20 pounds with the bulk of its mass near the middle and center of the wheel will be easier for the engine to turn than a rim that weight 20 pounds and has most of its weight near the outside of the wheel. ....
yes i just threw the speedo the thing in their. i addressed speed/power/whatever in my 2nd post. and as for "where the weight is" i didnt want to get into that. i'll be typing all night. thair are so many veriables. but yea i mentioned that read my 2nd post. its called "cintrifical mass". i mean he wants basics. he doesnt want me breaking down all the physics, and weight locations and yadda yadda yadda, see i dont even want to talk about it :D besides im pissed after watching that animal cruelity video. :evil:

Last edited:

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
OK, then I was reading it right.
Yeah, the baseball bat analogy is alot easier to understand then breaking it all down scientifically.
I haven't watched any of those videos that K20A2 keeps posting up here. I have a dial up connection, so it's not worth the hassle for me to bother. I sure as hell don't want to see any animal cruelty anyway. Does that guy ever post anything on here besides those damn video clips? Does he contribute anything useful around here? :???: It's almost midnight, he should be popping off some new ones right about now, I've noticed that's usually when he shows up.

speedin

The Transporter
humm, odd. i never noticed when he shows up. but that animal cruelity thing is harsh but people should see it. well since u have dial up.... animals being skinned alive and then diying slowly all bloody with no fur, and he is beating and hitting them all along. its just horrible. then they pan out and show hundreds of these animals in cages waiting their fate

speedin

The Transporter
PogKai said:
not only weight, but rim size also affect gear ratio.. smaller rims helps accelerate faster.
yea, read all the posts. (mainly th big long ones :lol: )

MoJoJoJo

Banned
i dunno all that advance stuff, but i just kno that light weight rims and good tires are the way to go. i'm a big fan of Volk rims, looks good and light weight, last long but very expensive. as for tires there are alot of good brands, and that department u have alot of choices to pick from