Mitch's Build Thread

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
As many of you know, I have a 99 GSR, that you rarely see. I figured it's time to make a slight build/progress thread because of the N/A build questions I see.

This was my first Integra, a 1997 GS, in VSM. Had her about a year, then sold it off to fund a GSR.

By thenoxus1 at 2012-03-31

Here's my GSR the day I bought her in April of 2010. 1999 GSR DC2. 95K on the stock engine/chassis. Only mods were rice tailights and some Enkei wheels. 6K was the cost, probably could have haggled it down farther but didn't because they're getting harder to find low mileage.

Took her home and removed the rice tails for some scuffed up OEM tails and removed the dealer sticker on the back. The scuffs bugged me, so I decided to tint the tail black.

Wheels remained because I was broke, and she stayed relatively stock.Decided I wanted to rice it up a little bit so I grabbed an NRG limited edition Gen 3 Quick Release and Deep Dish Wheel.

Hatch leaks set in, and new gaskets are never the fix, so I weather stripped the tails and leaks stopped:

About a year and a half later we can fast forward to my engine giving up. It started as a stuck valve and turned into a cracked landing. I was forced to either sell, or save and swap. I decided I wanted to keep that original B18C1 so I started saving for an all motor build. I'll list my parts below. After 5 months of saving and whipping an old station wagon, she's at my tuner's for final blueprinting and assembly. Should hit the dyno around April 14-16.

At Evans Tuning in Bangor, PA

I know this is a quick thread, but I wanted to post it up. More detail and growth will come as it's finished and on the road. Then suspension. This is a purpose built engine, for daily driving and an emphasis on mid to low range on the power band.

Mod List:

OEM GSR B18C1

Stock Cylinder Head
OEM Valves
Supertech Titanium Retainers
Supertech Dual Valve Springs
Supertech Seals/Guides

Skunk2 Pro Series Stage 1 Camshafts with seamless crossover
AEM TruTime Polished Cam Gears

Block:

Stock B18C1
.25 oversize bore
OEM Honda JDM P30/B16 Pistons .25 over
Stock GSR Rods
GSR Crank
ARP Head Studs
ARP Rod Bolts

All OEM Honda Gaskets
OEM Oil Pump
OEM Acura RDX Injectors modified for B series

AEM Short Ram

AEM Digital Series Oil Pressure Gauge
Innovate MTX-L Digital Controller Wideband Gauge with Bosch O2 Sensor

Exhaust
Custom 2.5" into 3" Back Custom High Flow Cat Converter by SMSP
3" Apexi N1 Muffler
PLM Tri Y Header Narrow Tube at 2.5" Collector
Custom Bent 3" Piping by SMSP

Stock Intake Manifold
Stock Throttle Body

Prothane/Energy Suspension Mounts all around

Expected Compression Ratio 11.52:1

Dyno Tune on Hondata S300 in a P28

Sponsors:

A'Pexi Integration
Supertech Performance
Quick-Spool Racing LLC
Skunk2

Dyno and Assmbly by:

Jeff Evans, of Evans Tuning in Bangor, PA

Last edited:

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
your block is bored to 81.25 not honed to that size. Honing creates the crosshatched pattern on the wall allowing the rings to ware into the wall.

Brockey

Thxs for posting this info, I will be watching for updates. Real curious on the dyno numbers.

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
Thanks. Dyno should be in 3-4 week if all goes well. Fingers crossed!

bkirshr

User that is Registered
car looks awesome! If I didn't know any better, I wouldn't have even thought you had an integra for the lack of pictures you post. haha good luck! looking forward to the numbers!

by the way, this reminds me. I need to text you about lugs haha

Kyle

In for numbers as well. So I know which direction to go so I can kick your DC2's ass.:lol:. Gonna be super sweet build, can't wait for dyno day.

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
Thanks for all the love guys. I actually own a built Integra, go figure. Just got an email from Jeff:

Mitchell,

To give you an update on the car the engine is at the machine shop getting the hone done at the moment. When i tore the engine down every single piston was cracked between the primary and secondary compression rings, the pistons literally fell apart once they were pushed out the bore. I have seen this before on turbo or supercharged engines that were improperly tuned. With the scuffing on the pistons skirts I would say at some point in the cars history it was turbo, supercharged or had nitrous on it untuned. At least you know what the issue was with the engine.

Thanks!

Jeff Evans

I would assume the car was on the bottle, since the previous owner was an old guy. He was second owner, so I bet the guy before him took it off to sell it. I always wondered since it was stock bsides the tails and wheels. Makes sense. No wonder my compression was low.

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
Forgot to hide your other job on the passenger floor from us when you took the pic. Hope ya got a prescription for those :lol:

Haha yea yea. Here's a pro tip I learned. Those old RX containers are the best place to keep small screws and nuts and bolts. They don't get lost when working on something with a million screws, like the dash.

Can't wait for results, Mitch!!
Thanks.

Content with 180, happy to hit 200 though...