Mitch's Build Thread

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
From my tuner:

The car 100% done and running/tuned. I had some concerns so I wanted to touch base with you before I had you come pick up the car.

Concerns outlined below:

1. Oil pressure was initially very low. I had installed the digital AEM gauge and was monitoring pressure through the gauge. With the 30 wt break in oil I was seeing 70-80 psi on cold start and 10-15 psi at idle (normal). I was expecting to see more due to the thicker oil. When I did the engine break in on the dyno I flushed the oil out and put in 5w30. The oil pressure was dropping to "0" on the gauge after a few pulls on the dyno. I was very concerned so I pulled the oil pan down to inspect everything; however nothing seemed out of place. I installed an s2000 oil filter and used 10w30 wt oil (what I usually recommend to use) and oil pressure was higher, but after a few dyno pulls the idle oil pressure would drop to 1-2 psi at idle. I pulled the valve cover to inspect the cams and valvetrain and saw no odd wear patterns from oil starvation (which would happen very quickly with no oil pressure in the head). Knowing my past bad experiences with AEM gauges (the brass sensors not reading correctly) I decided to swap in a stainless version of the pressure sensor (same calibration scale and psi). The stainless sensors are more stable and seem more accurate from what I have seen. Sure enough the oil pressure was immediately reading 8-10 psi after a few dyno pulls, as well as 10-15 psi higher everywhere. So your brass sensor that was included with the gauge is not accurate.

3. Power output is very low. It made 163 whp / 120 tq. Engine compression is 225-230 psi in each cylinder, cams are degreed and valves are lashed correctly. The engine does not smoke or consume oil. I tuned with the secondaries on the intake manifold open and closed, and leaving them completely open/disconnected yields the best torque/power. I suspect the low power output from the cat, stock intake manifold and short ram intake that is installed. Further the headers that you are using have a bad dip at 6-7k rpm range, which is a characteristic of the header design.

5. The cylinder head appeared to have signs of oil starvation, as well as some discoloration on the crank. At some point in the engine was starved of oil, or had oil contamination. The crank measured ok, and the head appeared to be ok when the cams were installed. I just wanted to make you aware of this.

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
Definitely.

Plans are manifold. Sri, and test pipe maybe

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
I will. I'm frustrated, but it's still fun. I'll get manifold this summer. It's never done..

Kyle

I love it cause for now, a cammed out B18B is looking very good. Loveee talking shit lol. Once you get it fixed you'll gain probably 30whp back.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
check the
oil pick up
oil pan
s2000 filters dont add oil pressure, k20 ones do
i woulld want to say that this motor may have suffered oil starvation
Not sure why your numbers are low besides the cams may be worn
Your numbers are that of a stock gsr with basic bolt ons. You have esentially a stage 2 cam.

Last edited:

covert_Con

Senior Ricer
Glad to finally see your whole car, only pic i've seen is of your quick release set up lol.

Can't wait to see it finished

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
Thanks guys. Definitely not down and out yet. Let's see if an intake and test pipe nets another 20whp. Then I'll be content. And yea Dylan I agree. I'll ser what a couple of new parts does and go from there. Overall I'm content with a reliable fresh built gsr. I really want a bike next so this build will start to slow down at the end of summer.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
Thanks guys. Definitely not down and out yet. Let's see if an intake and test pipe nets another 20whp. Then I'll be content. And yea Dylan I agree. I'll ser what a couple of new parts does and go from there. Overall I'm content with a reliable fresh built gsr. I really want a bike next so this build will start to slow down at the end of summer.
you arent going to make that much whp with just a test pipe and an intake

Can't decide on manifolds. Leaning skunk2 pro
what are your choices?
You would only benefit from a skunk2 pro, skunk2 1st gen, blox 1st gen edelbrok performer x