Proposed turbo set-up + noob questions

heykosal

Angkorian
hey guys. well i finally get the gsr's motor healthy. got rid of the CEL which turned out to be an emmisions problem.
anyways, i think im ready to start planning and piecing together a kit. here is what ive come up with thus far and i want good or critical feedback!!!!

-Garrett GT turbo. I need advice on choosing one. I have a couple in mind, but am unsure if they will work well.

-Spoolin Performance log manifold

-Spoolin 2.5 downpipe

-Spoolin's smallest intercooler

-Spoolin FM piping kit

-Synapse synchronic wastegate + BOV

-Synapse missing link

-Synapse synchronic FPR

-BDL Industries inline fuel pump + filter

and taken from darkangel's thread, fast turbo oil line kits. i also need some input on what route i should go with a boost controller. i guess i also need some kind of fuel management. i want to run this off obd-2 with the hopes of passing emmisions with 2.5 inch cat and exhaust. so let me know what i gotta do!!

patrick4588

Integra God
hey guys. well i finally get the gsr's motor healthy. got rid of the CEL which turned out to be an emmisions problem.
anyways, i think im ready to start planning and piecing together a kit. here is what ive come up with thus far and i want good or critical feedback!!!!

-Garrett GT turbo. I need advice on choosing one. I have a couple in mind, but am unsure if they will work well.

-Spoolin Performance log manifold

-Spoolin 2.5 downpipe

-Spoolin's smallest intercooler

-Spoolin FM piping kit

-Synapse synchronic wastegate + BOV

-Synapse missing link

-Synapse synchronic FPR

-BDL Industries inline fuel pump + filter

and taken from darkangel's thread, fast turbo oil line kits. i also need some input on what route i should go with a boost controller. i guess i also need some kind of fuel management. i want to run this off obd-2 with the hopes of passing emmisions with 2.5 inch cat and exhaust. so let me know what i gotta do!!

what kind of whp are you going for? if its on stock internals, and a goal of 300whp or so, i would suggest going with a t3/t4 journal bearing turbo. its not necessary to spend 1000+ dollars on a gt turbo. also, i went ahead and made some changes i would make to your list. scrap the missing link and get your car tuned with a real ems, or at least crome or something equivalent. keep your stock fpr, there is no need to get an adjustable one. i would suggest going with a bigger intercooler because heat soak sucks balls. i personally run a spoolin manifold, ic, and ic piping. i have the 31x8x3 intercooler. its $300. if that is out of your range, check out www.rcautoworks.com they make good intercoolers and very good prices. i would get the walbro 255lph fuel pump instead of the bdl. and you will need some fuel injectors. rc 550cc saturated injectors will work perfectly since they dont require a resistor box. i also run the synapse wg and bov, and they are great. you need to add a clutch to your things to buy, the stock clutch wont hold that power. also invest in some gauges to monitor your motor vitals. oil pressure, boost, and wideband are the most important IMO. if you have any questions, pm me. it seems the setup you are going for is very similar to my old setup.

heykosal

Angkorian
hey thanks man for the info. your suggestion on the turbo size/type is exactly the answer i was looking for. the reason im looking into the missing link is because i was hoping i could run this set-up on obd-2 with a FMU. the reason being i would like to pass emmisions. is it possible to run it on obd-2? and if i still fail emissions then go ahead and get an EMS? because i have a p28 odb1 never in a car brand new.
ill keep the stock fpr and upsize the intercooler. what about fuel rail? get the walboro pump instead of bdl and get the injectors. i looked into RC injectors but didnt know what size or saturated or not so thanks. clutch will come and gauges. im shooting for anywhere between 300-400whp. at least 300whp though. my main thing is, will i be able to pass emissions with a turbo and piggyback? or should i just skip that and run hondata on a p28 with an aftermarket intake manifold?

patrick4588

Integra God
i really doubt you will be able to pass emissions with any setup other than the edelbrock or greddy since they are exempt. and if you are on stock internals (pistons, rods ,etc) i would not shoot for any more than about 320whp if you want it to be reliable. you can make more power, but it wont last as long. your stock fuel rail can handle upwards of 550whp, so there is no need to change it. i would personally just run hondata with the p28. and yes an aftermarket IM would be beneficial since you will no longer be able to control your iab's. the blox works fine for your power goals and its pretty cheap. if you are a baller like me, go for the edelbrock victor x. :). oh and i suggest the t3/t04e 60 trim with a .63 ar for your setup. thats what i ran.

heykosal

Angkorian
that edelbrock kit says it supports up to 250hp. is that wheel hp? im sure that can be pushed higher right? what about this kit and the greddy kit makes them legal or different from other kits like drag? if i bought the edelbrock kit, and got a bigger turbo or synapse wastegate and bov would it not be legal anymore? ill have to consider this.
anyways, new internals would have to come after boosting. 320whp is a great number to shoot for. i mean it would satisfy me. so basically should i skip the bullshit and run hondata from the beginning? i mean, do it right the first time right? what do people do when they gotta pass emissions? and moving to a different state is out of the question lol.
what is iab's? im assuming its the secondary butterflies? that open in the intake manifold. thats too bad, i dont wanna lose that, another reason i want to run the obd2 p72. is there some kind of aftermarket controller for this?
i think that spec turbo is what ill look for.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
EMS, Chrome or Hondata, Use seem to be on the right track with your parts list though. Just don't buy cheap bullshit

patrick4588

Integra God
that edelbrock kit says it supports up to 250hp. is that wheel hp? im sure that can be pushed higher right? what about this kit and the greddy kit makes them legal or different from other kits like drag? if i bought the edelbrock kit, and got a bigger turbo or synapse wastegate and bov would it not be legal anymore? ill have to consider this.
anyways, new internals would have to come after boosting. 320whp is a great number to shoot for. i mean it would satisfy me. so basically should i skip the bullshit and run hondata from the beginning? i mean, do it right the first time right? what do people do when they gotta pass emissions? and moving to a different state is out of the question lol.
what is iab's? im assuming its the secondary butterflies? that open in the intake manifold. thats too bad, i dont wanna lose that, another reason i want to run the obd2 p72. is there some kind of aftermarket controller for this?
i think that spec turbo is what ill look for.
the edelbrock and greddy kit have little carb exempt stickers that come with the kit. i dont know how they get them, but they do. that little sticker is what says you are legal or not. also, with those kits, there is no tuning required. you put the kit on via the directions and you are good to go. the edelbrock has a lot more room to grow than the greddy, i would recommend it between those two. also, the turbo that comes in the kit is internally gated so you cant just add a wastegate. and by adding a bov, and not re routing the discharge, the kit becomes illegal. i would personally just become buddies with someone at an emissions place or pay them a little extra to get that sticker. yes the iab's are the secondary butterflies and im not sure about a controller for them.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Greddy and Edelbrock get CARB E.O. numbers through lots of testing, tuning and proving to the government that they are clean and efficient enough to be legal. Not like most homemade system or any other for that matter where the BOV vents to the atmosphere and you got an external wastegate doing the same.

There isn't an IAB controller to my knowledge. You could always fabricate something fairly easily since it is vacuum controlled anyway. But I wouldn't bother with it.

heykosal

Angkorian
i looked at edelbrock's street legal kit, it costs on average $3200. i think thats on the cheap side and the kit comes incredibly complete with quality parts. so if i get that kit and upgrade to a bigger turbo with an external wastegate and change the bov but recirculate the two would that render it illegal? who would know cause i got the sticker? also, couldnt i just pull whatever controls fuel and timing and still run hondata?

how could i find someone cool to pass me though, anyone from md? should i just not take it to the official site and tell the shop ill give em an extra buck to make sure i pass? i kinda would rather do what ive been asking about than get the kit.

patrick4588

Integra God
piecing it together like you have done will get you the parts you want and IMO is a better way to go. However, if emissions is your biggest concern then i say go with the edelbrock kit. by having the external gated turbo and bov, you will be illegal. i would pay extra somewhere to make sure i pass emissions. i dont have emissions testing where i live, so i dont know the whole deal about it.

heykosal

Angkorian
so it looks like my options are a)run obd2 and, get a great tune and hope to pass. 2)convert back to stock when its time for emissions. third)get the edelbrock kit. but like you said id much rather piece it together myself. but i really would rather run obd2 and try and pass, if not then fuck it ill just convert and make more power. how much of a no no is it to run piggyback? should i just say fuck the bull and get the kit?

patrick4588

Integra God
anyone you take your car to for tuning will get you to convert your ecu to obd1, so i dont see tuning obd2 as an option. your options are A) piece a kit together, do it how you want it. then find a shady emissions guy and pay him off so you will pass. B) get the edelbrock kit. or option C) Don't boost at all.

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
The edlebrock kit bov isnt recirculated. It also has some decent parts garrett turbo, spearco FMIC, and Tial BOV.