How do I adjust my alternator belt? HELP

end005

this is causing a headache. the only thing I can think of is perhaps my belts are too loose.

how do I tighten up my alternator belt??

I've referred to they Haynes Repair manual I have but nothing. HELP PLEASE!!! its my dd!!

car:98 gsr coupe.
________
My flight launch box

Last edited:

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
it's on the alternator. there's an adjuster screw on the alternator itself. use a pry bar and pull it tight, then tighten the bolt. (If i remember correctly)

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Most of them just have a tension bolt that you can tighten that pulls the alternator, tightening the belt. And then a pinch bolt you can tighten that holds it.

You said you changed your alternator in your other thread so it should be self explanatory if you've already taken it out.

end005

yeah, but my car is acting up agian. I thought perhaps my belts were loose. just tested the alternator, its good. i have a s/c so its alittle different in terms of tightening it up.

stock, i should pry the alternator back towards the firewall. with the s/c it doesn't allow me to do this. I actually have to lean it forwards so that the belt from the s/c to the alternator is tight. then there is a tensioner (under the alternator pushing up) to tighten/loosen up the belt for the crank to the alternator.

now that i've replaced the alternator this is what's happening:
-after I just replace it, evertyhing was bright and good.
-after work, interior lights are dimmer, as the car warms up and I get up to 3000 rpms, everything is bright agian.
-my brother drove the car to the store, my deck dies, lights get dim agian. when he comes back though, everything is all good agian.
-I start the car, the car starts. Take off the negative, car dies.
-started my car, kept it running with highbeams on, heat on 1, deck on....after 10 mins of running, the lights begin to die and the car dies.
-go out, start the car, car won't start. wait 5 mins, shut everything off, car starts up fine. turn the lights on, rpms drop, lights begin to die, car is about to die...shut off the lights, car keeps running normally.

I don't know what the hell is going on.
________
SP600

Last edited:

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
did you plug the alternator back in when you replaced it?

it honestly sounds like a inop alternator.

did you tighen up the tensioner that you have? go feel the belt itself, does it feel loose?

end005

did you plug the alternator back in when you replaced it?

it honestly sounds like a inop alternator.

did you tighen up the tensioner that you have? go feel the belt itself, does it feel loose?
I did. Just got back from testing the alt. with a load its putting out 14.2 some volts. without a load its at 14.6. I tightened the tensioner as best I could. but when I pushed down on it from up top, it seemed somewhat looser. I get under the car, check it out and its still about the same. about half to 1 inch of play when squeezed together. this is the crank to alt belt. the alt to s/c belt feels like it has less than half inch of play.
________
Brunette lingerie

Last edited:

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
wait... you have 2 seperate belts?

It might also be your battery... but I don't know why the car would die when you took the negative off. That makes is sound like it's the alternator.

14.6 seems kinda high without a load on it...

end005

wait... you have 2 seperate belts?

It might also be your battery... but I don't know why the car would die when you took the negative off. That makes is sound like it's the alternator.

14.6 seems kinda high without a load on it...
yeah, two belts. the pulley for the alt is from js so its bigger. so, the belt from the crank goes to the alt like stock...but there is also a belt from the s/c to the alt as well--so, even if the crank isn't pulling the alt, the supercharger is. hopefully that makes sense.

the battery is also new. at most, a week old--same as the alternator. I checked my fuses, they are all good.
________
Interracial Videos

Last edited:

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
the supercharger is turned by the alternator then, right?

man... that's weird. lol

can I see a picture? I don't think it'll help at all, but I'm just having a hard time picturing this.

end005

the supercharger is turned by the alternator then, right?

man... that's weird. lol

can I see a picture? I don't think it'll help at all, but I'm just having a hard time picturing this.
right now its all apart. the alt is off and the belts are just hanging so I don't think i'll be able to.
________
Mexico City Hotels

Last edited:

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
lol, hmm.... well put it all back together damn it!! lol

jp. umm.............. man. that really sounds like something with that alternator. You're sure you had all the stuff hooked up right when you replaced your alternator?

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
lol, yeah... I guess you're right..

Is the battery light on at all? It might be something in the wires.

also, is there a ground cable? Check the ones from your head to your frame, and the ones from trans to the frame. it could be something in the electrical parts.

EDIT: So i just realized youre in wisconsin... haha, where you at?