How do I adjust my alternator belt? HELP

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
It still sounds like an alternator problem to me if the lights are fluctuating and it's cutting power to your stereo and what not. Check all the connections. If the ground on the alternator isn't connected good it will cause all of your symptoms.
I agree with you, but the ground is thru the block isn't it? and he said everything was good there. I thought maybe a bad re-man, but I don't wnat him to go buy another alternator, ya know?

these symptoms are excluding the "pull of the negative" test?
that points to yes even on this.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
I thought maybe a bad re-man, but I don't wnat him to go buy another alternator, ya know?
That is a possibility. But re-man alternators from places like Autozone or whatever come with a lifetime warranty. My GST needed an alternator so I got a $300+ brand new OEM alternator. It came with a 6 month warranty and crapped out on the 7th month. So I bought a $120 POS re-man and killed it. Lifetime warranty FTW........they just keep replacing it for free :lol:

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
I've killed 2 or 3 of the remanufactured alternators. :lol:

I'm missing the engine undertray so they get wet and crap out eventually. But screw it, they replace them for free. I'll get the plastic undertray one day when I get a new front bumper

end005

yeah, i got it from autozone so I have the lifetime warrenty. My brother in law also works there so I can get some deals.

dc2gsr, can water mess up the alternator? I took off the plastic undertray and took my car for a underbody wash becuase of the snow and salt here. Could this cause it to go bad? Even though it coudl though, how could it pass the bench test?
________
MICHIGAN MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARY

Last edited:

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
I don't think water would really hurt it too much...

I know on my DA's alternator was right down there underneath everything. lol

end005

would you be willing to try it for me? i'm at work so I can't get to my car till i'm off. could you see what happens if you take off your negative? its a shot in the dar. I would be a lot more comfortable if i got confirmation that SOMEONE else's car dies when they take off their negative.
________
Fetish video

Last edited:

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
sure, I'll go give it a try... I'm still in bed. (ha!) so give me a couple minutes, but I'll go check that for ya.

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
Sorry bro... Still ran fine... i dunno what to tell ya.

Fog lights, Rear-defrost, and stereo all on.

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
yeah bro, no problem.

I really hope this gets figured out tho. kinda makes me feel bad, ya know?

I dunno... I think we're getting to the point where you should try a new one... If Kyle says it's common for the regulator to go on these things, I don't see why it wouldn't, ya know?

end005

yeah bro, no problem.

I really hope this gets figured out tho. kinda makes me feel bad, ya know?

I dunno... I think we're getting to the point where you should try a new one... If Kyle says it's common for the regulator to go on these things, I don't see why it wouldn't, ya know?
yeah, if once i get my car tested and it still does the same thing, i'm going to replace it ..agian.
________
Asian movie

Last edited:

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
I got your PM end005. Everything I wrote was too big to put in one PM and so I'll just post it here........

Well it's no fun but this is about the easiest way to find a short.............

Disconnect the positive battery cable terminal and connect a tester light between the cable terminal and the positive battery post. (be sure the light is the only thing connected to the post - all other battery cables go on the other side of the light.) The light is now the only thing connected to the battery post in series with the rest of the car's electrical (don't try to start the car). The bulb will limit the current so you won't have to worry about any short melting the wires.

The light will grow brightly if there is a full short. An open door will appear as a full short so it should either be closed, or it's door switches disconnected, or the fuses removed that operate items (dome light) caused by an open door (if the light goes out when removing these fuses, that is the circuit with the short).

The light will glow dimly if either you have a partial short or normal devices are turned on (which you should turn off to then see how it glows).

The light will not glow at all if nothing draws any significant current. The ECU and stereo memory do not require enough power to cause the bulb to light up

Then start disconnecting, and/or removing fuses/relays, and/or switching off, one at a time. Start with things that don’t work. Then go to the more suspected things, and everything on that circuit. When you disconnect, or switch off the item that is causing the short, the light will go out.

Keep in mind the short may be in the wiring or fuse box which is harder to find, but first check all the easier, more obvious devices and places. If the light always stays on no matter what item you disconnect, you probably have a short in the wiring. In that case switch off all devices one at a time to see if light goes out. If it does, then the short is between the switch and the device. If you still can't find the short, try removing all fuses and relays in fuse boxes. If the light goes out then start replacing the relays and fuses one at a time until the light goes on (identifying the circuit with the short). If the light is always on, you will need to get a circuit diagrams manual to start tracing and disconnecting wires until the light goes out.