Full Coilover Review Thread

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
I've noticed that there have been more and more new members joining asking about suspension and thought this would help. Just like the intake and exhaust review threads, follow the directions below.

Name of coilovers:

Cost:

Year/Model:

Your Impression:

Pros:

Cons:

Overall Rating: (1-5) 1=sucks ass 5=FTMFW!

Pictures (optional):

NO COMMENTS PLEASE!

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
Name of coilovers: TEIN Type Flex Damper

Cost: $1,400

Year/Model: 1995/Integra GS-R Sedan

Your Impression: Before having the Flex, I used to have Ground-Control coilover sleeves and Tokico HP shocks. After I tested the Flex on the touge, I knew then that I would never go back to using a spring/shock combo. I'm not saying you HAVE to get full coilovers, but if you're into touge and road racing, getting full coilovers is highly recommended.

Pros:
1) Height adjustable
2) Dampening adjustable
3) Perfect for daily driving and touge
4) Able to go into Super Sexy Slammed mode

Cons:
1) Expensive
2) Steel body
3) Wish the spring rates were a little higher

Overall Rating: 8/10

Pictures (optional):

TEIN Flex

My drop. Not slammed, but low enough to attack corners.

B16B_civic_R

do U <3 your Honda
K-Sport Full Kontroll Coilover

Cost: well i bought them $650 BNIB

Car: 1994 Integra LS 2dr Hatch

Impression: When i first bought the car it had no name spring the where cut..pick ksports because money is a major issue. Happy w/ them, they hug the road, rapes corners...i highly suggest them, & like a friend "ffull coilovers or saty stock lolz

Pros:
-height/damper adjustible
-good for dd haven't tracked them yet
-affordable
-yes i can go lower than you & yous

Cons:
-riding ob full soft isnt really different from riding on full hard slight difference more of 60% 40% between hard & soft
-spring rates could be higher
-severly overlooked do to he say, she say B/S

-Rating: 8/10

-Pix

konerri

OK, i will bite

Name of coilovers: PIC Selects: Spring rates 10k up front, 8k out back

Cost: about 1,165

Year/Model: 99 DC Iintegra

Your Impression: Like some other guys here, i had some experience with a normal spring and shock setup where the ride height and the spring pre-load are not independent of each other. Omni coilover with AGX illuminX(?) And that never road good that the heights that we have our cars. Shocks were always dieing and corning abilities were better then stock but not as good as i thought they should be. So i decided to invest in a set of good suspension setup. I wanted a good setup with a knowledgeable staff which can stand behind their products when i have questions and need suggestions. I first looked a Teins, then spoons, then JIC, then K-sports then finally PIC. At the time i bought the PIC setup, they were still a relatively new company and many people didn't know to much about them. After discussing things with them by email, which by the way, they have awesome customer service, they recommended my current setup. But that wasn' the reason for my decision to buy them. At that time, the Type R guys on honda-tech(the ones who actually track their R's) were starting to get their hands on the PICS and them all seem to have good reviews for it. Some say they are better then any system around that range. Some of them were actually switching over from spoons and etc....

But overall i am very happy with my setup and i know that some other guys here can vouch for them as well. Awesome setup.

Pros: height adjustable, 8 sway dampening adjustable, can ride really low, good product from a good company who really supports the Honda FF platform( ITR Expo sponsor :thumbs up). They will do all types of custom rates if you asked for it. Drag launch with almost no body titch the first i had them installed felt awesome. Also, they look good too.

Cons: Even at the softest dampening setting in is still pretty stiff some some of my passengers who aren't use to a stiff ride.

Overall Rating: (1-5) 1=sucks ass 5=FTMFW! I give these a 4.5/5.0 because they I've ran these in all conditions including rain/some lite snow/AutoX/daily and still nothing wrong with them.

Pictures (optional):

After one year of use.

Last edited:

patrick4588

Integra God
Name of coilovers: Omni Sport Coilovers

Cost: 750

Year/Model: 95 gsr

Your Impression: best coilovers i have ever driven on

Pros: everything. perfect spring rate, adjustable height without affecting spring rate or anything else.

Cons: only negative thing is no adjustable damping. omni makes this set with the adjustbale, but its 900

Overall Rating: (1-5) for the cost best you can buy. 4.5 only because no adjustable dampning.

Pictures (optional):

sonicvybe

new driver
Name of coilovers: Tein Superstreet

Cost: $1000

Year/Model: 1998 SiR-G - daily driver

Your Impression: Worth every cent over the old worn stock ones. No regrets.

Pros: Adjustability of damper stiffness can be done in less than 3 seconds per side. I had no idea before getting them, but adjustability is nice feature.

Cons: Ehm, none really, but I would like try some higher end C/O some day.

Overall Rating: 4

Pictures (optional):

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
Name of coilovers: Skunk2 Pro-C

Cost: $900 (Was on sale. Usually retails for $1,300)

Year/Model: 1995/Integra GS-R Sedan

Your Impression: Before I got the Pro-C, I used to have the TEIN Flex Damper, which I enjoyed having for a year. Being my first ever set of coilover, I was extremely satisfied. It was great on the street and touge. However, after attending a few HPDEs, I began to see that the Flex was no longer good enough for me. So I decided to switch to a more agressive street/track setup. After much research, I landed on the Skunk2 Pro-C. The front spring rates are the same as on the Flex, but the rear is 1K stiffer (8K as opposed to 7K). The main difference is the monotube design. After driving on the street and freeway, I must say that the dampers on the Pro-C are absolutely wonderful. Overall, the ride is stiff. Stiff... but confortable. If you're used to a stiff ride, then you won't have any complaints. I can already tell that I'll be able to corner better and much faster with the Pro-C on the touge/track. I can't wait to see what these babies are really made of... :thumbs up

Pros:
1. Affordable
2. Height adjustable
3. Dampening adjustable
4. Great to DD, touge, track
5. Monotube design
6. Holes for brake lines

Cons:
1. May be a bit expensive for the budget enthusiast
2. Steel body

Overall Rating: 4.5/5 - Wish it was an aluminum body.

Pictures:

Last edited:

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Name of coilovers: JIC Magic FLT-A2

Cost: $2,200

Year/Model: 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Your Impression: These are just truly great coilovers. They are a little stiff on the street, but not untolerable. They perform very well at the track and they really make the most of the suspension travel. Damper adjustments are easily made from the bottom due to the inverted monotube design. They may be a little overkill for some for a daily driver, but I suppose that is in the eye of the beholder

Pros:
15 way adjustable Inverted Monotube Damper
Seperate ride heigth and pre-load adjustments
Flawless build quality
Excellent performance on and off track

Cons:
A little pricey

Overall Rating: (1-5) 4.9 - Mainly because I've haven't tried every suspension out there so you can't say it's PERFECT....but these are definitely one of the best there is for my car

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
Name of coilovers: Tanabe SOC-PRO Type 2

Cost: $750

Year/Model: 1997 Integra GSR

Your Impression: These are great street coilovers/beginner coilovers. Very similar to the Skunk2 Pro-S (non-adjustable ones). However, when pushed to the limit these coilovers fail to deliver. Too soft in every aspect. They are great to learn with, but as my driving skill has progressed a lot since I started, I have nearly maximized the potential of these coilovers for the canyons (and track). Also, you can't slam a car on these because they are too soft and height is RELATIVE to travel on these. The lower you go, the less travel the shock will have.

Pros: Great ride, these are perfect for DD/most drag/occasional canyon runs.

Cons: Non-adjustable, Spring rates are only 6k (F) 4k (R). Also, height affects travel; the lower you go the less travel the shock has and it WILL bottom out/blow. Basically these are too soft for serious attaking of the twisties. If you plan on doing anything canyon/track-wise just save up for another month and get something else.

Overall Rating: 2.5/5

Last edited:

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
Name of coilovers: Omni Power Sport Coilovers

Cost: $650-$850 new, $550 or less used.

Year/Model: 1997 Integra GSR

Your Impression: These coilovers are EXCELLENT. They are extremely stiff (I can barely get the tires to tuck on an aggressive downhill run, I usually just tri-pod ha), yet they ride very well on the streets - for a coilover. This model has 12kg f/10kg r spring rates that are simply awesome. Also, height is independent from damping, so you can slam it or raise it as much as you want and the coilover will have the same amount of travel. The only feature missing is damping adjustment, but honestly on these coilovers you don't need it. They're awesome in every aspect. The best part is, I got my set basically brand new for $550 bucks on Craigslist. This should be the go-to coilover for Integra owners IMO. Quit wasting your time with Tein, Tanabe, Skunk2 Pro-S, etc. Trust me, I did and it was a waste in every aspect. If you're unsure about which coilover to get, go with the Omni's, you won't be disappointed.

Pros: Very stiff (12kg f/10kg r), ride like a coilover w/ half the spring rate. Height adjustment doesn't affect travel. Great bang-for-the-buck price.

Cons: No damping adjustment

Overall Rating: 4.5/5 - there are still better coilovers out there for extreme track performance, so I can't score it perfectly.

Last edited:

Apollo

Name of Coilovers:
A'pexi N1 Expert Type V (ExV)

Cost:
$1,000 BNIB

Year/Model:
'98 DC2

Impression:
I've actually had these for a while, but wanted to familiarize myself with them before posting. My first set of true coilovers. Very much satisfied with them. 32-way adjustable allows for full fine-tuning for track & road, although admittedly I'm probably not knowledgable enough to truly make the most of it. I prefer firm in the back to promote turn-in and help counteract understeer (for auto-X), also as it is my only suspension mod so far. Haven't gotten to apply them to track as much as I would like. Handle road well enough, a little stiff for the fiance's tastes though :D.

For more, technical details (spring rates, piston diameter, rod diameter, etc) see link: http://www.apexi-usa.com/content/pdf5532.pdf

Pros:
- Height adjustable
- Damper adjustable
- Pre-load adjustable
- 12k front, 8k rear
- Monotube(?)

Cons:
- Pricey

Rating:
4.5 (Only because it's my first true set)

Pics:

Last edited:

aquamann87

Name of coilovers: skunk2 pro s series coilovers

Cost: $700

Year/Model: 2001 dc2

Your Impression: love em, i had a cheap ebay brank coilover before this one now it's not a rough ride anymore and it's handeling corners like you wouldn't believe.

Pros: - great ride
- adjustable

Cons: - exspensive

Overall Rating: 5 of 5

Pictures (optional):

Daybid

Dump or Die.
Name of coilovers:
- Form and Function Type1
Cost:
-$650 New
Year/Model:
-1998 DB7
Your Impression:
-Smooth yet Stiff at same time. Way better than Skunk2 pro-s or Koni + illumnias
Pros:
-Soft but Stiff
-Height Adjustable (slammable)
-3 Seperate Rings (one to seperately adjust height without losing pre-load) <--GG
Cons:
-Not Dampening Adjustable
Overall Rating: (1-5) 1=sucks ass 5=FTMFW!
Pictures (optional):

DAs_an_DCs

Tanabe Sustec Pro S-OC Type 1

$610 Shipped

JDM Front DC2

I bought these because i live in the boonies and there are really bad roads here. These have lower spring rates than most coils (6k F, 4k R) and helper springs, which make them very streetable. These are street level coils for DD, not a pure track car. So dont get these and complain there too soft for the canyons, there not if that canyon has any bumps on it which it def will! BTW they are non-adjustable.

Pros: Comfortable ride on really bumpy roads. Perfect turn in. Massively reduced body roll. Dumped out, tires tucked. Short body shocks so my camber is better than it was on lowering springs. These are perfect for DD, even road trips if you had to.

Cons: My only issue is to get really low your gonna have to do a lil fender rollin (in front), but thats only if your really dumped with the tires tucked. Also i wish they had a lifetime warrenty since most KYB shocks do (shocks are made by KYB)

Overall Rating: 5/5 I got exactly what i wanted from these coils at a steal of a price!!

Last edited: