1 Gallon Of Gas

Cripton805

i get like 24mpg somethin like that sometimes more but i do it by filling it an using the trip odometer an drive till the light comes on since i have no fuel gauge lol
Old cars had no gauges. Hell motorcycles started getting gauges in the late 90s hahaha :lol:
Awww the good ol days when you had to swish it around to listen for half empty gas...
Good times... good times.

blaketeg

I <3 Boost
stop complaining guys :)

i got around 24ish city when my teg was stock

after the turbo build, bigger injectors, and tune......i get 17 mpg

rybread761

I remember the older Suburbans would bounce even during braking, so I'm not too trusting of the accuracy. Keeping it off E is a good policy anyway
I had a GMC Jimmy that bounced around with braking and accelerating, and turning....it sucked.

michaelz

have seen up to 32MPG when i really try to hyper mile on the freeways. people tend to get pissed off when i draft close behind them though.

normally 26 or so in day to day driving which i'm still quite happy with.

98 Integra

Also Guys I have noticed that when you fill these up once you get to full and the pump will click as it is full, but u can continue to keep pumping for a bit. How much past the click is it safe to keep pumping? I usually go and extra $1.00-$1.50. I wanna find out how much mpg's are but I never know if Im fully full lol.

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
running your car really low on gas is very hard on the fuel pump.

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
I drive a dodge ram 1500 with a v8 magnum. My truck is the reason for pollution, prius's and gas nazi's lol dont complain about 35 mpgs!

OlegWasHere

yeah i get all your guys posts but i asked about one gallon.
like i said i didt the math even on a good tank i only get 18mpg.
175/10=17.5
i reset the trip meter every time i fill up

full tank=175
one gallon=36 miles so far.

36*10=360 miles not 175. All im saying is that its kind of odd.
and by the way i fill up once a week.
35 dollars depending on the price. 10.2 gallons usually.

and btw as stated before i never really run that low on gas just because im doing my fuel filter today. right after imma fill er up.

squarehead

Old guy
running your car really low on gas is very hard on the fuel pump.
False. Running your car to EMPTY could potentially burn up a fuel pump, but liquid is liquid, whether you are pumping it out of a container with a gallon in it or 100 gallons. The pressure on the pump does not change unless there is no liquid in it.

yeah i get all your guys posts but i asked about one gallon.
I'm getting between 30 and 35 mpg depending on my driving style that week. I spend most of my driving time on the highways, though.

For those wondering why a gallon at the middle of the tank is not the same on the gauge as a gallon at the top or bottom of a tank, it's simple. Your gas tank is not a perfect symmetrical cylinder. It's smaller at the top and the bottom than it is in the middle. Using a gallon when the pool in the base of the tank is small will make the float gauge move down faster than if the tank was half full. Think of the amount of ice cream at the top of the cone versus the amount when you get to the bottom. Fuel gauges are not a perfect science—they are actually pretty primitive mechanical measuring devices, all things considered.

You need to measure your mileage by the tank, not by adding a gallon and adding up the miles traveled where the gauge moves.

Last edited:

OlegWasHere

False. Running your car to EMPTY will potentially burn up a fuel pump, but liquid is liquid, whether you are pumping it out of a container with a gallon in it or 100 gallons. The pressure on the pump does not change unless there is no liquid in it.

I'm getting between 30 and 35 mpg depending on my driving style that week. I spend most of my driving time on the highways, though.

For those wondering why a gallon at the middle of the tank is not the same on the gauge as a gallon at the top or bottom of a tank, it's simple. Your gas tank is not a perfect symmetrical cylinder. It's smaller at the top and the bottom than it is in the middle. Using a gallon when the pool in the base of the tank is small will make the float gauge move down faster than if the tank was half full. Think of the amount of ice cream at the top of the cone versus the amount when you get to the bottom. Fuel gauges are not a perfect science—they are actually pretty primitive mechanical measuring devices, all things considered.

You need to measure your mileage by the tank, not by adding a gallon and adding up the miles traveled where the gauge moves.
for the past 6 months or so ive measured by trip meter.
every time i fill up i re set it.
like stated i usually fill 10.2 gallons witch supposedly is right before the light comes on.

but i doubt my 3 unused gallons equals to over 150 miles
175+150 is still 325 which alot of people get from what i read.
to note the car is stock and has 170k miles on it but it still runs strong.

squarehead

Old guy
So you get about 150 miles to a tank with on average a 10-gallon fill up? You are averaging 15 mpg, and those 3.2 gallons left in the tank are only going to get you another 48 miles, if you are lucky.

You mentioned that you have new filters, but they haven't been installed yet—those will help. A complete tune-up is a first priority, not just new plug wires. Yes, the O2 sensor may be failing or failed, the cat might be hollowed out, or a myriad other problems might be causing the poor mileage.

How is the alignment?
What is the condition of the tires?
Was the O2 sensor ever replaced?
Are you using Premium gas in a GS-R?
Has the car passed emissions tests recently?

I would tend to lean towards a failed emissions system component somewhere, but there are a lot of factors that can reduce mileage. One a few that would cut it in half, though.

doug

OlegWasHere

yes i know this thats why im saying its odd.
i put another gallon in today
and got around 37 miles on it. (without the gas light)
before i changed the filter.

after i changed the filter i put in full tank at 89 octane. on an se/ls b18b1 non vtec
it was 9.9 gallons

tires are about a year old on then with i want to say 8k miles on them
theyre 16's bought them brand new with my wheels last may.
at 36 psi but stated max is 50 but i just want to do that because thats almost insane.

all the maintenance that i know of that was done to the car.
before me i have no records because technically i got this car from a dealer but it was brought in as a trade in and i got it for cheap.

so far
coolant flush
new hoses
oil every 4.5k miles
10-30 synthetic
new wheels and tires toyo proxes 16 inches
fuel filter (new-put on today)
air filter(k and n cleaned out , its almost rusty though you know orange color)( but ordered a new one )
spark plugs and wires done last week.
02 was never done (to my knowledge)
emissions are not needed for cars 15 years or up here.
i use 89 octane

ive had this car for about two years and ive always had this mileage.
no other problems mechanically. besides the cam seal leak but that fixed.

squarehead

Old guy
02 was never done (to my knowledge)
Looks like you have covered just about everything else that is easy to troubleshoot... this is where I would go next. Most muffler shops can do a new O2 sensors for you if you don't want to climb under there and do it yourself. I prefer to leave exhaust work to guys who do it every day, but that's me. I'd buy the new sensors online and bring them to the shop.

If I'm not mistaken, there are 2 oxygen sensors in the cat on your car. You need an O2 sensor socket, both new O2 sensors, PB Blaster and a little free time. It's not too difficult. Don't work on hot exhaust, either. ;)

Other things to consider are vacuum leaks (ugh, just shoot yourself), fuel pressure regulator or a dirty EGR valve (if you have an automatic). Is the car running rich (black soot on the bumper over the tailpipe outlet)? When was the last time you changed the oil?

doug