2000 b16 Si vtec crank no start

Bgbllr547

The battery is good, it has been drained with the attempts to start but I have recharged it. The starter is good or else it wouldn't crank at all. Yes it is rewired for an obd2 distributor, I am trying that tomorrow, I ran out of time to do it tonight. I would hook a scan tool up to it, but I do not have one, and cannot afford one right now. it has been giving me problems since I bought the car, so that is most likely the culprit, I just wanted to go through the process of elimination of everything first. There is a check engine light on, but it is for the intake air temp sensor, I will check again for a possible new code

Bgbllr547

So I replaced the distributor and that was the problem, I should have just replaced that first, but it was a good learning experience for me. I just got the car and got to work on the engine right off and learned a lot about the car, turns out the owner before me did a hack job on the car, wrong bolts everywhere, spliced wires and electrical tape everywhere. All in all, had fun, learned, and fixed the car

JobotDestroy

Resident thug
So I replaced the distributor and that was the problem, I should have just replaced that first, but it was a good learning experience for me. I just got the car and got to work on the engine right off and learned a lot about the car, turns out the owner before me did a hack job on the car, wrong bolts everywhere, spliced wires and electrical tape everywhere. All in all, had fun, learned, and fixed the car
Good to hear :) always try to check what has been tampered with. With all these self proclaimed "Honda guru's" out there (like the one who did my car :( ) its hard get one with out having to fix there screw ups. I've heard so much non sense. I've been a Mazda guy for years and I already have more knowledge then these clowns on Hondas :lol: . Then again my mentor is a Honda god lol.

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Great! But replacing the dizzy doesnt mean the entire dizzy was bad. Theres several components inside, each of which can cause problems and can be replaced individually. I swapped a dizzy to get a car back from another city and replaced the icm in the bad dizzy. Problem solved.

Bgbllr547

Right, but I had already swapped a new icm and that didn't work, also replaced the coil too, that didn't work, so I replaced the whole thing and it cranked up like nothing was wrong with it. I appreciate the input from everyone, thanks guys

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Ah interesting. Didnt know you did that already but not the first time ive read that either.

99TegLs

Yep in short air, fuel, spark. Figure out which you're not getting and work backwards from there.
Not to say anything bad against you, but this is exactly the advice I was looking for like, 8 months ago when I had a no start problem, and this is what was said to me. No one mentioned that timing INTERNALLY could be the culprit. My problem turned out to be a sheared woodruff key, or the notch that connects the camshaft to the cam gears. 4 dollar fix. Anyway, sometimes diagnostics will only lead you so far. Intuition and trial by error may turn in your favor. Just my 2 cents.

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
I totally hear you but air, fuel, spark is not to be taken as simple and literal as it is stated. Youre meant to check all components related to those functions including the control of them which includes timing. In any case its part of the process of elimination and even a mechanic would go through a similar process to diagnose. Yours was not a common problem cause i havent seen that come up at all which means it probably doesnt come up often. And honestly i would never have guessed that and im far from anything related to a mechanic or gear head but i doubt many mechanics would have though of that either. lol How did you come to figure out your problem though?

Bgbllr547

Well I was already having issues with the distributor and when it wouldn't crank up, my buddy came and looked at it, said he thought it was related to the distibutor but wasn't sure if it was the coil, icm or the whole thing, so as I was swapping out each piece I would tinker with other parts to see if it was a combo of things, eventually I said f*** it and swapped the whole thing and it started up

JobotDestroy

Resident thug
Not to say anything bad against you, but this is exactly the advice I was looking for like, 8 months ago when I had a no start problem, and this is what was said to me. No one mentioned that timing INTERNALLY could be the culprit. My problem turned out to be a sheared woodruff key, or the notch that connects the camshaft to the cam gears. 4 dollar fix. Anyway, sometimes diagnostics will only lead you so far. Intuition and trial by error may turn in your favor. Just my 2 cents.
It really comes down to diagnostics and attention to detail. If you have spark, fuel, and, compression. You can eliminate these right away. Next you should look at EVERYTHING with extreme detail. Check the timing marks, timing belt, harmonic dampner, cam gears, cam shafts, everything! What was said to you was correct advice and the same I would have told you and I have worked as a automotive technician/engine builder/racecar technician. You have to start somewhere. Your problem is very rare but if you had checked timing (which it sounds like you did at some point) You would have noticed a loose cam gear. That had to of happened from improper torque of the bolt. Not saying you did that by any means. It wasn't that he didn't tell you. He gave you the steps you needed. It just inexperience, rare problem and there's nothing wrong with that. This stuff takes years upon years to master. I'm nowhere close the considering myself a master. But, I have seen alot in my career and have learned from the best in the racing industry. My mentor has such a ridiculous wealth of knowledge and attention to detail. I can only hope to be anywhere close to his skill level. You'll learn just keep at it and learn from the mistakes of the past.

Last edited:

99TegLs

I totally hear you but air, fuel, spark is not to be taken as simple and literal as it is stated. Youre meant to check all components related to those functions including the control of them which includes timing. In any case its part of the process of elimination and even a mechanic would go through a similar process to diagnose. Yours was not a common problem cause i havent seen that come up at all which means it probably doesnt come up often. And honestly i would never have guessed that and im far from anything related to a mechanic or gear head but i doubt many mechanics would have though of that either. lol How did you come to figure out your problem though?
lol i spun the cam gear... and it didt turn the cam, so that was a pretty good hint

99TegLs

and Jobot, the problem was that the timing was still lined up perfectly, it was the cam that wasnt turning I had to finally see. Therefore, it was just a matter of digging a bit deeper than the normal 4 components of a running engine. Im by no means literate in the car world as of yet, I was however, suggesting that the problem is not always what you expect it to be, as you seem to know as well :)

JobotDestroy

Resident thug
and Jobot, the problem was that the timing was still lined up perfectly, it was the cam that wasnt turning I had to finally see. Therefore, it was just a matter of digging a bit deeper than the normal 4 components of a running engine. Im by no means literate in the car world as of yet, I was however, suggesting that the problem is not always what you expect it to be, as you seem to know as well :)
Definitely agree with that ;) But, gotta start with what's easy to eliminate. I'm still tripping on that happening. Was a inferior woodruff key is used? Happened to me once on a dampner key I got from o'reillys. Material was way to soft