89 D16A1 swap to B18B1

xdreem

i just got my first Acura Integra about 4 months ago and have so many ideas how i want to clean it up. ive talked to few ppl and they say a B18B would work great in this car. i have never done a motor swap before. what do i need to know to make this engine work and fit in the 1989 Acura Integra? (note: i also want to have turbo)

enoch723

First off.. everyone says a b18 swap works best but in reality it isnt always the best fit for the car. In the G1 the b20 actually makes a better swap with the increase in torque.

The biggest things you have to know about the G1 is it has torsion bars in the front and arent ideal with a swap of any kind and has one of the biggest followings when it comes to classic honda's. A lot of people that like the G1 will frown about a swap sometimes. I happen to think its awesome to do a swap but the d16a1 is a sleeping beast a lot of people underestimate. Thing can take 6-10lbs easy and hold up for years.

As for what you will need to do for just about any swap in any car is new mounts, cv axles, custom shift linkage(sometimes), ecu and wiring harness.. Most the time its not worth it especially in the G1 cause your going to be restricted from really having fun with the torsion bars in the front.

What I would suggest is get a 3g civic(83-87) Like I did and take the d16a1 out of your integra and drop it in the civic. Dont need new mounts or shift linkage. Really all you have to do is drop it in and hook up the new wiring harness and your good to go.

xdreem

First off.. everyone says a b18 swap works best but in reality it isnt always the best fit for the car. In the G1 the b20 actually makes a better swap with the increase in torque.

The biggest things you have to know about the G1 is it has torsion bars in the front and arent ideal with a swap of any kind and has one of the biggest followings when it comes to classic honda's. A lot of people that like the G1 will frown about a swap sometimes. I happen to think its awesome to do a swap but the d16a1 is a sleeping beast a lot of people underestimate. Thing can take 6-10lbs easy and hold up for years.

As for what you will need to do for just about any swap in any car is new mounts, cv axles, custom shift linkage(sometimes), ecu and wiring harness.. Most the time its not worth it especially in the G1 cause your going to be restricted from really having fun with the torsion bars in the front.

What I would suggest is get a 3g civic(83-87) Like I did and take the d16a1 out of your integra and drop it in the civic. Dont need new mounts or shift linkage. Really all you have to do is drop it in and hook up the new wiring harness and your good to go.
thank you for the info! i am really new with Honda/Acura, for i have only had my first Acura for 4 months now. i am still learning about al the motors and swaps that "could" work. i really like the D16A1 motor just from driving it but really want a lil more "Kick" out of it. i dont want to do the same thing as everyone else or something al lot of ppl have done. i want to make something unique, but not impossible.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
g1teg.org has good info, to be honest this place is kinda dead on G1 tech. Welcome though and hope you stick around, just trying to point you in the right direction for some info.

Btw I think you're headed in the right direction with the b18 swap, it's a great motor with lots of available parts.

xdreem

g1teg.org has good info, to be honest this place is kinda dead on G1 tech. Welcome though and hope you stick around, just trying to point you in the right direction for some info.

Btw I think you're headed in the right direction with the b18 swap, it's a great motor with lots of available parts.

thank you for the welcome! and i have so many ideas running threw my head. i would love to have the B18B1 but the mounts will be hard to fit. im really unsure tho... like i said before ive never done any kind of motor swap and super new to honda and acura. so far if i was to swap the B18 will be something to shoot for. right now im pretty focused on getting the car cleaned up. (paint/body, wheels, tires and new suspension) im just trying to "get al my ducks in a row" before making any huge changes. thank you for the support and please pass me along to anyone who would like to help me in this project!

enoch723

Your on the right road and it sounds like your doing it right. I would stick with the d16a1 just because it is a really under rated power house that does have quite a few modification choices if you know where to look. Like said above: g1te.org is a great place. Danny Carlson of nwclassichonda, Jordian Chedda of Chedda automotive and anyone over at the vintage integra club on facebook can help you out. I would recommend just a simple cam swap to get you started so you can get a feel for the engine and everything. Try to get some dual ZC cams. They will drop right in and wont really have to do much. Only adds maybe 5 hp but it will feel like more due to the engine breathing the way it should. I will try and keep my eyes open for some ZC cams for you if you like, I am a classic honda deal like Danny Carlson. Names Nathan Sholdebrand

enoch723

Can also check out my g1 modification list I made on here with the search bar

xdreem

Your on the right road and it sounds like your doing it right. I would stick with the d16a1 just because it is a really under rated power house that does have quite a few modification choices if you know where to look. Like said above: g1te.org is a great place. Danny Carlson of nwclassichonda, Jordian Chedda of Chedda automotive and anyone over at the vintage integra club on facebook can help you out. I would recommend just a simple cam swap to get you started so you can get a feel for the engine and everything. Try to get some dual ZC cams. They will drop right in and wont really have to do much. Only adds maybe 5 hp but it will feel like more due to the engine breathing the way it should. I will try and keep my eyes open for some ZC cams for you if you like, I am a classic honda deal like Danny Carlson. Names Nathan Sholdebrand
that would be great! thank you for the tip! i have looked into new exhaust and intake. a company called pacesetter have a set of headers and a down pipe. ill be making the custom 2" pluming from a new cat back. custom intake and some head work for better breathing. i got stuck on the cams till now. the cost was quoted at $620 for the exhaust $600 for the head work and $400 for the over sized valves and springs $120 for the gasket and seals set (full engine) im looking to get closer to 50hp from al this. a new clutch soon to follow. but with al that the car will sound and breath great after tuning.

94RS

No fucks given.
Pace setter is pure garbage. Google some reviews on them.... And over $600 on an exhaust for your car is insane. Go to an exhaust shop and have them bend one for you. You'll probably end up a few hundred cheaper.

IMO, if you're set on this car to restore.... Restore it. If you're set on making power, the G1 isn't for you. You aren't going to get 50hp for under 2K. Members with GSR's don't even get those types of improvements with that little bit of money.

Last edited:

xdreem

Pace setter is pure garbage. Google some reviews on them.... And over $600 on an exhaust for your car is insane. Go to an exhaust shop and have them bend one for you. You'll probably end up a few hundred cheaper.
i will look at the reviews and that was the quote from a muffler shop 175 for a new high flow cat, 150 for the 2" piping 20 for the hangers 195 for the headers 59 for the 2" in 3" out muffler. that is about wat i was thinking the price would be for custom high flow exhaust. if i was to go 100% stock it would cost 279.95 looking at the quote now.

xdreem

also it is a restore. im just making a lil power and making the car in my own way. either way its still restoring the car into a better look, and driving. and like you said i wont make 50 hp for less than 2K if u add everything up it comes out to be $1740 al my prices are rounded up or under by a few dollars.

enoch723

With zc cams you will only have to pay a total of about 400.. You wont have to get new valves or anything. Be about 300-400 for the zc cams and like 15 for a valve cover gasket set. You wont have to really re-time anything or anything like that. Its a straight in and out drop swap. Only thin you would have to really do is make sure its at tdc and drop in the new cams at tdc obviously and put everything back together. Put them with a exhaust system and the engine would easily be putting out an extra 10. You say you want 50hp extra? Thats quite a lot for the d16a1 because everything that fits is either stage 3&4 or from the ZC engine which is the same engine but beefer with an extra 20hp in total

xdreem

With zc cams you will only have to pay a total of about 400.. You wont have to get new valves or anything. Be about 300-400 for the zc cams and like 15 for a valve cover gasket set. You wont have to really re-time anything or anything like that. Its a straight in and out drop swap. Only thin you would have to really do is make sure its at tdc and drop in the new cams at tdc obviously and put everything back together. Put them with a exhaust system and the engine would easily be putting out an extra 10. You say you want 50hp extra? Thats quite a lot for the d16a1 because everything that fits is either stage 3&4 or from the ZC engine which is the same engine but beefer with an extra 20hp in total
im not trying for a lot of power but from exp: from other projects with good head work, new cams, custom intake, new over sized valves, springs, custom high flow exhaust and proper tuning it should pull out max 50 hp. for al around 2K. but i can al so tune it for better fuel with that good of breathing. i havent had the chance to look up the cams yet but they sound promising!

94RS

No fucks given.
What kind of cars were these "other projects" that you speak of?

The way I see it, the most HP a G1 ever came with was 118hp, that's to the crank. Let's be generous and say that to the wheels it makes 90hp. You want a 55% power increase out of a Honda engine for under 2K....

Do you still leave cookies and milk out at Christmas?

Last edited: