99 GSR Project - advice please!

currinatc

Hey guys, I need some of your expert opinions. I am new to Honda's (have built Cobra Mustangs in the past) and really don't know a lot about what I'm getting into. I picked up a 99 GSR a couple months ago as a daily driver. The car has it's B18C1 with it's factory transmission. They guy before me said he bought the car lowered and told me the engine had been "bore'd and shaved" to make it a 2.0. I'm starting to think I was being told a lie as the car burns a little oil and I can smell the burnt oil through the exhaust (although it doesn't smoke yet). The transmission definitely has a lower gear in it as well; I turn 4400 rpms at 75mph.

After about a month of owning the car, it started a crazy idle. The RPM's go up and down (~1,800-2,100 rpms) while the car sits at an idle. While driving it the car seems to nose dive when I left off the gas or try to free-wheel down the road. One thing I learned that helps alleviate my problem is turning the headlights on. While I was warming the car up one morning, I flipped the headlights on and the idle smoothed out and dropped down to around 1,100 rpms. The car may idle better but it still does the nose dive thing while going down the road.

Anyway, I just bought a 2012 Civic Si to drive and I've decided to take this car apart and build it into something I can be proud of. If you guys could, let me know if you've ever seen the problem I'm having and how the heck to get rid of it! Also, I would love some advice on what steps I should take to make this car into what I'm wanting.

Currently I'm wanting to:

Rebuild the engine - new rods, pistons, rings, crank, balanced (going to lower the compression but don't know what's optimal for a Turbo), working the head to get more horsepower?
Turbo the engine - T3/4 or bigger, blow-off valve?, intercooler? brand?
350+ horsepower
Rebuild the transmission to withstand the new horsepower (it grinds 1st, 3rd, and 4th right now)
Upgrade the suspension to handle better
Exhaust - I've looked at greddy - I want something that sounds deep and sounds good when I get into it

Thank you in advance!

klutchDb7

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Rebuild the engine - new rods, pistons, rings, crank, balanced (going to lower the compression but don't know what's optimal for a Turbo), working the head to get more horsepower? Head work: port and polish, aftermarket turbo cams, supportive valve train
Turbo the engine - T3/4 or bigger, blow-off valve?, intercooler? brand? t3/4 is (in my opinion) you best option, doesn't take too long to spool and can make great power. Blow off valve is more matter of opinion, I like HKS. Any inter cooler should be fine, Turbonetics and a couple others are good for turbos tho, look around.
350+ horsepower
Rebuild the transmission to withstand the new horsepower (it grinds 1st, 3rd, and 4th right now)
Upgrade the suspension to handle better Full coilovers, I'm a large fan of Tein products. Rear subframe brace, upgraded sway bars and strut bars would compliment it nicely.
Exhaust - I've looked at greddy - I want something that sounds deep and sounds good when I get into it
again check out HKS, I'm a huge fan of their Hi-Power exhaust
Thank you in advance!
Just gave a couple opinions in bold above^

In terms of your idle issue, check your iacv to make sure it's clean as well as your fuel filter, those are usually the culprit.

Aside from that, good luck and keep us updated :thumbs up

currinatc

Thanks for the quick reply! I'll start researching HKS, they definitely have some great products out there. I have a long road ahead of me. Once I figure out how to get some pics up, I'll show you guys the car.

klutchDb7

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Looks like a good template to start. Look at some lightweight wheels as well like some SSR's or 5zigen FN01RC's or some other name brand ones like work, advan etc

95ls-gsr swap

im no expert with turbos but from what ive read HKS makes good intercoolers, BOV's, exhausts.... i would personally go with the turbo you want, an HKS blow off valve, either a Greddy or HKS intercooler (front mount)... and exhaust im not sure considering you will be running a turbo, maybe a custom setup would be optimal

Gbaby2089

Negative Ned
Hey guys, I need some of your expert opinions. I am new to Honda's (have built Cobra Mustangs in the past) and really don't know a lot about what I'm getting into. I picked up a 99 GSR a couple months ago as a daily driver. The car has it's B18C1 with it's factory transmission. They guy before me said he bought the car lowered and told me the engine had been "bore'd and shaved" to make it a 2.0. I'm starting to think I was being told a lie as the car burns a little oil and I can smell the burnt oil through the exhaust (although it doesn't smoke yet). The transmission definitely has a lower gear in it as well; I turn 4400 rpms at 75mph.

After about a month of owning the car, it started a crazy idle. The RPM's go up and down (~1,800-2,100 rpms) while the car sits at an idle. While driving it the car seems to nose dive when I left off the gas or try to free-wheel down the road. One thing I learned that helps alleviate my problem is turning the headlights on. While I was warming the car up one morning, I flipped the headlights on and the idle smoothed out and dropped down to around 1,100 rpms. The car may idle better but it still does the nose dive thing while going down the road.

Anyway, I just bought a 2012 Civic Si to drive and I've decided to take this car apart and build it into something I can be proud of. If you guys could, let me know if you've ever seen the problem I'm having and how the heck to get rid of it! Also, I would love some advice on what steps I should take to make this car into what I'm wanting.

Rebuild the engine - new rods, pistons, rings, crank, balanced (going to lower the compression but don't know what's optimal for a Turbo), working the head to get more horsepower?
Turbo the engine - T3/4 or bigger, blow-off valve?, intercooler? brand?
350+ horsepower
Upgrade the suspension to handle better

Thank you in advance!
I know nothing about forced induction. I will not post anything about that other than that this blow off valve sounds cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HblCEQXQ8Q4

I also don't know much about building transmissions. I know race car stuffs, but I doubt that will help.

Upgrade suspension, is this for street stuff? or road race/autox/street stuff?

Exhaust, I hated my HKS HiPower personally. I'd go with something rad like a BC Spec II since the turbo will quiet the exhaust for you.

Also make sure you get a cool looking exhaust manifold.

Remember, looking/sound cool is important.

klutchDb7

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
One of my favorite manifolds^

?

I wasn't negative at all :(

I just told him to concentrate on things that look and sound cool lol.
I was just disagreeing because I like my Hi-Power haha :) then again it isn't a true HKS cat back, custom piping and the HKS muffler, so idk if there's a difference in the sound.... :what: