AC Idler pulley broke while driving..

HooliganSKATE

My idler pulley broke off on my way home tonight, the bolt sheared right clean off so its flush with the hole it goes in..

So I know I need to get that bolt out, but how much of my pulley can I re use? is it just a matter of getting that bolt out and replacing it then putting my pulley and arm back on? or do I need a new pulley and arm? I'm not entirely sure of how this all works with this AC belt to be completely honest, as I have never done any work on it. When I get it back on, how do I tension that belt to the correct amount of tension? Just not sure how tight it should be, or how to make the adjustment.

I plan to fix this tomorrow, but if I can't for some reason, I have my ac belt just on the two pulleys loosely right now, will it be alright to drive the car like this so I can get to and from work Thursday?

Thanks for the help guys!

Last edited:

HooliganSKATE

The threads look a little mucked up from being tossed around on the belts and such.

Sent from a birds insides using a typewriter

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
You can try and easy out the bolt, pulley looks fine just sand down any burrs so they don't eat into the belt

HooliganSKATE

Any tips to getting that broken bolt out? There's zero threads sticking out, it's completely flush with the hole. I have no idea how I would get tools down there between the belts and all to drill it out or something either

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Obviously you would have to take it off the car to work on it lol
You're going to want to get it on a drill press.

imchongx3

Same thing happened to me the month after I bought my old integra. I never fixed it though. Just got rid of the AC stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HooliganSKATE

So I would need to pull the compressor off and get that drilled out?

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Does that bolt thread in or have a nut on the back? If it threads into the compressor just pull the compressor off and drill it out. If there's a nut on the back spray it with PB and try to take it out the other side. If it threads into the block, you'll have to pull it out enough that you can get to the bolt, whether that be just loosening a couple of the mounts up and jacking it up or down a little, or removing the whole engine.

HooliganSKATE

Does that bolt thread in or have a nut on the back? If it threads into the compressor just pull the compressor off and drill it out. If there's a nut on the back spray it with PB and try to take it out the other side. If it threads into the block, you'll have to pull it out enough that you can get to the bolt, whether that be just loosening a couple of the mounts up and jacking it up or down a little, or removing the whole engine.

It screws in, so there isn't another end to unbolt or anything. I think I'll have to pull the compressor to get it out. Would it be worth trying to cut a deep line in the bolt with a Dremel and diamond wheel to try to get it out with a flathead stubby screwdriver?

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Im doubtful that you'll be successful in repairing the threads.
I would just replace the entire AC torque mounting bracket. They are a dime a dozen.
You can remove the compression from the bracket without disconnecting the hose. Support it with a zip tie or something.

HooliganSKATE

Im doubtful that you'll be successful in repairing the threads.
I would just replace the entire AC torque mounting bracket. They are a dime a dozen.
You can remove the compression from the bracket without disconnecting the hose. Support it with a zip tie or something.
so you think I'll be able to detach the compressor from the bracket, support it in some way, then just pull the bracket out and either drill and replace that bolt, or replace the mount?