AC Idler pulley broke while driving..

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Yea that's not that bad, it's just a bolt in the bracket. Remove the compressor from it, leave everything connected so you don't have to break the lines open, and take the bracket out. I agree with Muckman on just getting a new one, they should be an easy find at a junk yard, just get one before you start the job so you have it ready to swap.

The bracket should be $10, you'll spend more than that trying to get that bolt out and re-tapped, not counting all the time it will take.

HooliganSKATE

I've found them for $30 online, I've got a buddy who works at an audi repair shop who said he's got the correct tools to remove the bolt if I can get the bracket out. So I suppose I'll be going one of those two routes. I'll let you guys know the outcome when I get it worked out!

HooliganSKATE

Will It be ok to drive my car with that AC belt just loosely floating on the two pulleys its on now just until my parts come in?

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Why wouldn't you just take the belt off, your gonna ruin something else doing that.

zack11122

Hey guys. Sorry to take this thread. But is it okay to drive my car with the head loose until I get a torque wrench? It's my daily. Thanks.

Just take the belt off. It could do more harm. Than You think.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
It could get wrapped up in the alternator and/or power steering pulley and make more of a mess.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
lol zack.

Leaving the belt loose will ruin the belt at best. At worst it may find a way to damage something else.

HooliganSKATE

Just an update for anyone this happens to in the future.

My process for fixing this was:

-I removed the power steering belt
-pulled out the 4 bolts holding the AC compressor onto the bracket and hung the AC compressor off to the side a little
-removed the drivers side torque mount
-removed the four bolts that hold the AC mount bracket on
-I ended up just replacing the whole bracket because everyone told me I would have a hard time getting that bolt out. Got one from a friend for free so I threw my new bracket in there
-bolted the bracket back in, then the AC compressor back in

My torque mount stud that holds the torque mount in seized the bolts on it so I was unable to remove the torque mount front it and I wasn't able to get the nut off the stud so I replaced the nut, stud, washer, and torque mount. Here are the part numbers if anyone needs them, I had a hard time finding them or the stud

- I then put the power steering and AC belts back on, tensioned them, and made sure all was in good order
-my last step was to replace the torque mount, so I put that bad boy in and I was all finished!

My only concern is that my torque mount stud had some room to move around a little bit inside the torque mount itself, hope that's alright? Everything look ok to everyone in this picture? Idling the car seems a little more shakey, but it could be because the torque mount is new and my old one was trashed. You can see the torque mount sits a little low as it is in a way hanging on the stud.

Sent from a birds insides using a typewriter