aftermarket timing belts

maq

Are they worth the money? Or are they just replacement belts painted different colors?

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Their definitley way more durable than generic belts. Their a good thing to get if you have aftermarket cams, both from a performance standpoint and as a little insurance.
At very high RPM's, weaker generic rubber belts can slightly flex which throws off precise cam timing. This affects power output of course.
Also all this flexing can weaken generic belts and cause them to fail prematurley. Toda created their timing belt precisely because their Toda B and C cams were tearing up generic belts very quickly. MichaelDelaney on Team Integra can tell you all about his experience trying to get Toda cams not to eat up rubber belts (he couldn't do it), and I knew someone with an ITR who had the same problem with Toda's.

I have aftermarket cams and use a Toda belt. My cams aern't as big as Toda B's, I wanted the insurance anyway, lol.

Last edited:

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
My Greddy timing belt has held up to HKS 280 cams and 8500 rpms just fine (on a DSM). I wouldn't be willing to chance the torture test of running a stock or generic belt with those cams, the heavy valve spring and high rpms

patrick4588

Integra God
i run gates racing belts (very similar to the greddy belt). a stock belt will do fine on stock cams and a relatively stock motor. once you start adding turbo's and high lift cams, its time for a kevlar reinforced belt

maq

Well i don't have cams, or cam gears. i just don't want a repeat of all this if my belt goes again.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Well i don't have cams, or cam gears. i just don't want a repeat of all this if my belt goes again.
A repeat of all what? You had a timing belt break on you recently?

maq

Yea about two months ago.

Link to my thread about it

Right now i'm slowing working on it. Don't have much time to work on it by the time i get off work and get home.

Trying to get the dam oem exhaust unbolted. the header is the problem. can't get the nuts loose where it bolts up at the bottom of the car.

patrick4588

Integra God
take the radiator out and you can pull the manifold close enough to the front of the car where you can drop it straight down and not have to unbolt the 2 halves

maq

I'll try that tomorrow.

Sorry for the noob question, but B18 heads are interchangeable correct? I can put a B18B on my B18A block?

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
To the OP I'm running a Toda belt with bc4 cams at 9500rpm, wouldn't do that with a stock belt. Like said though, for a stock cammed motor, oem belt (or gates) is fine. You still need to change them at their service intervals or they will break.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
gates make better belts then oem imo, and yes Patrick the gates racing belts are very good.