Am I crazy to consider this?

DuckFat

Hello all. I am new to this forum, but I had owned a 94 LS before I left home. I am looking for a second car for better gas and blah blah blah... all that stuff. It's been awhile since i worked on a teg. But I found this http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/3596111437.html. I'm trying to wrap my mind around a car with 254K on it. I know Acura's are one of the best engines around but owning one with 254k on it is mind boggling for me. I've been in talk with the guy and it's stock and had what he listed installed. I want to see it, but don't know if its worth it. I am also going to look at a 97 TL w/167k from a small used lot http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/forsale?sourceContext=RecentSearches_false_0&zip=62225#listing=41093216. I carfaxed the TL and looks good... but too good at the same time.

Personaly I want the teg more but... what do you guys think.

Thank for any of your help

Swerve

Shawn
Well I have 241k and have only minor problems. Still pulls fine.

Ryan659

kbb it and see. Take it to a mechanic and have them look it over. You could even get a compression test on it just to see. For the TL, i would never buy from a used car dealership called Babaz. Have you expanded your search for a greater distance? I'm sure there are other teg's out there. Be patient and a good deal will show up.

Swerve

Shawn
kbb it and see. Take it to a mechanic and have them look it over. You could even get a compression test on it just to see. For the TL, i would never buy from a used car dealership called Babaz. Have you expanded your search for a greater distance? I'm sure there are other teg's out there. Be patient and a good deal will show up.
Kbb for Hondas is OP

DuckFat

thanks guy. I know I was feeling the same way looking on their site. The teg's price is good for a second car point A-B an a normal day. sound like its been well maintained, wont know till i see it.

anyone else would like to weight on their high mileage tegs?

for some reason here in the midwest tegs are either over priced or 150+ miles away from me

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
I wouldn't buy an auto with that many miles, that's way past that trans lifespan.

For everything else, as long as it was taken care of it should be fine. Cars last longer when they are driven all the time.

The Kev

Vtec? I have V-TAK! Son..
one, it was just used as a commuter...nothing else.
KBB, says very good condition around 2300 to excellent around 2500...

DuckFat

yeah i kbb'd it. and talked to the guy about it. he is trying to get back what he put in to it. He said last owner was a mechanic so he kept it up to date. Trans is a good thing to factor, thanks for reminding me. thats like $1k to replace.

The Kev

Vtec? I have V-TAK! Son..
There is a saying when dealing with cars....Those who are trying to get back the money they put into their cars, usually don't get it back. I should know this first hand.

DuckFat

true. he says he's firm, but we will have to see after inspection. I know when it's my turn to sell, i'll be lucky to get $1500-2000 for it. Also i wouldn't even get near 5k mile a year on it. lol

enoch723

I would go and take it for a test drive at least. He says its an 1979 GS and the title is coming in the mail still so he didnt own it long. My guess is something IS wrong, but probably something simple that he doesnt care to fix if. Cant hurt to look at it.