anyone ride a dirt/street bike?

Kyle

I should add that dirt bike riders have an advantage over other people when it comes to learning to ride a street bike but it doesnt matter if youre the type whos an idiot.
Riding a dirt bike could help some with the basic braking/shifting/balance stuff, but when I was first learning to ride it took some work to get past the bad habits I formed on my dirt bike.

I agree with both of these statements, I have been riding them for nearly 8 years and when I look at some of these guys riding this sportbikes it makes me shake my head. I think that everyone should learn on a dirt bike because even though it might not translate to real world (I rarely see anyone riding their CBR over rocks and logs like I do) but it will give you a basic understanding of bikes and a feel for riding. It will give you a feel for when the front end washes out or when your back end starts coming around. You will be able to react to these and will hopefully be able to save yourself; not panic like most squids and crash. Most people take a bs riding class and think that they are qualified to jump on a street bike that will go from 0-100 in 3 seconds. I know that if I was to jump on a sport bike I would be a fairly decent rider. It would take some adjusting but I am confident in my skill set that I have gained through riding on the trails for 8 years.

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Everybody I know tells me not to get a street bike cause i'll end up dead. I got my first one last week (cbr 600) Havn't ridden much yet because I don't have a motorcycle license yet and don't want to risk losing the bike. But the bit that I did ride (like first 2 days I rode alot) You don't have to use any of the power (I literally havn't been over 6k rpm but like once) You can ride as slow as a 250 if you want to. My friend got a ninja 250 and ended up selling it a week later bought a ninja 650r and now he wants a cbr 600. That's one reason I didn't want to buy a smaller bike like 250 cause i'll just want a 600 or so few weeks later.
This is self moderation. Power is there but you dont have to use it if you are careful not to. Very important when you are getting used to something new. The decision to make that should be avoided by starting small is how unforgiving do you want your accidental mistakes to be? Do not be mistaken, you will make them.

If you think you can ride beyond a 250's limits without having taken it on track multiple times and owned for 1 year +, you're lying to yourself and are truly a squid.
^This. G, you will outgrow the 600 fast but im assuming you are a fast learner and well experienced in dirt. At this point the decision would be yours to stick with the 250 for X amount of time or move a step up.

Someone mentioned dropping bad habits and thats a good point to make for those who are cross platform learners.

Last edited:

R13

The other asshole
I know very very few people that can handle the true potential of a 450 motoX bike, I started on a 2 stroke CR 80 and jumped strait to a 450 4 stroke after 3-5 years without riding, I will not comment on how good I do but I currently hold the 7th fastest lap time on the track I practice on.....

... Wait was that even relevant to what's being said? why did I just type that out :smackself F it i'll post anyway

boosted18

BLACK ROGUE
i was with a buddy who had a r6 and their was a guy with a attitude like yours kinda reckless and like danger. he asked to ride the my buddies r6 he said do you know how to ride and the kid said yea because he has been riding dirtbikes and quads so my buddy said yes i told my buddy as he was about to ride away " that is the last time you will see that bike looking that good again and he said "wat you mean" an i said "he cant ride" next thing you know this cocky kid wrecked into a parked car at full throttle trying to show off. lol broken arm rib and fingers lol. good luck man

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
^lol youre friends dumber than the guy who thought he could ride it. I dont care if youve been riding longer than i have.. no one rides my bike.

96GSRteg

Tyler
I dont care if youve been riding longer than i have.. no one rides my bike.
This.

I would just like to reiterate that not everybody who rides a sport bike is a squid, that's a dumb statement to make. And feel free to start on a 250 until you are comfortable moving up, but the day you get on a 600 you will realize how its not an instant death trap.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Gbaby2089

Negative Ned
This.

I would just like to reiterate that not everybody who rides a sport bike is a squid, that's a dumb statement to make. And feel free to start on a 250 until you are comfortable moving up, but the day you get on a 600 you will realize how its not an instant death trap.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
For some? I agree. For someone like the OP, I'd say it is.

BTW, best place to squid watch? College campus. Every person with a sport bike on a college campus is a mega squid. Just constant 0-60 runs in first gear with their YOSH SLIP ON BRO.

Jeffbel

Get a ninja 250r. It's the perfect beginner bike if you are looking for a sport bike. I ride around an r6 often and learned on it, if I could go back I would've started on a 250. They're not stupid fast or uncomfortable.
I said it first :)
But no one was paying attention

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
I wouldnt. Id start out no differently than i did. The death trap is in the individual. But dont be ignorant about the power of larger bikes. For some to get an idea of the concept of power... stepping up from a cbr 600F2 to a cbr 600F4 was a jump, albeit smaller. Older to newer bikes... still a difference.

s2kvsdb7

My first is an 07 600rr. Dont ride faster then your guardian angel can fly. Also you cant fix stupid. If the OP is what he is, doesn't matter what you ride, you're going to crash. Its a matter of when and why.
Safest is to track the bike if you're going to plan on riding hard. I don't do mts. No more too risky and not safe at all.
To each his/her own.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk