B18A1 Questions about going turbo.

Jesse_Heck

I have a stock B18A1 in my 91 Integra LS. 157K miles. I heard you can run 8 pounds of boost with stock internals. I was thinking about getting a cheap ebay turbo kit and a decent boost controller and running like 6 or 7 PSI. Will this be a decent power gain while having reliability? Or is it a bad idea? Im trying to keep the cost down, im not looking for a 350 horsepower monster either, just some more go than i have right now.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
PSI rules are meaningless because different turbos will flow different amounts of air at a given PSI.

Safely boosting a high mileage motor is tricky. If your engine doesnt burn any oil and has good compression/leakdown numbers then Id feel better. Make sure you do all the major maintenance if its due like timing belt, water pump, head gasket, head studs, new distributor cap & rotor, plugs and wires.

What do you plan to do for tuning and fuel delivery?

TheCrimsonStar

EBay turbos are just asking for you to blow something up..some people get lucky with them though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Jesse_Heck

Im not sure about injectors or tuning yet. Im trying to gather as much info as i can before i do somthing major. I think my motor burns oil a little bit cause it smokes when its cold and i have to throw a quart of oil in every thousand miles or so.

Jesse_Heck

Would it make more sense to do cams and keep it N/A on such an old motor? I want a little more go without breaking the bank.

It would make more sense to (re)build it now for whatever you want to do with it. Don't half ass it and bolt a turbo on an engine with such high mileage that will last 6 months(number used for example purposes only). No sense wasting money on an engine that may be on it's way to the scrap heap.
As mentioned above, a leak down test and compression test will help you determine the state of the engine.

djzachtyler

Looking for my next Teg..
for a little more go without breaking the bank why not look at simple Bolton upgrades?

Intake, Header & Exhaust will get you that much for under a grand

djzachtyler

Im not sure about injectors or tuning yet. Im trying to gather as much info as i can before i do somthing major. I think my motor burns oil a little bit cause it smokes when its cold and i have to throw a quart of oil in every thousand miles or so.
the smoking a little when it is cold and burning a quart every 1k miles is completely normal for a B18A motor.

The 90-91 integras have a 1 wire o2 sensor so unlike newer tegs it doesn't start reading until your exhaust manifold reaches 300 degrees or so. that smoke you see is the motor running on the rich side until the o2 kicks in and starts sending the signal for the ECU to adjust A/F ratio.

ALso to answer your questions, Yes it is noticeable gain in overall throttle response... bolt ons won't make your teg a rocket ship, but will get rid of hesitation in acceleration and improve it. across the board.

Prozon

Kris
the smoking a little when it is cold and burning a quart every 1k miles is completely normal for a B18A motor.
No, actually it's not. There is nothing in the operation of a B18a1 motor that when in good health it should burn a quart of oil in 1,000 miles. It's tired and you have bad oil control rings or valve stem seals if you're burning that much oil.

The 90-91 integras have a 1 wire o2 sensor so unlike newer tegs it doesn't start reading until your exhaust manifold reaches 300 degrees or so. that smoke you see is the motor running on the rich side until the o2 kicks in and starts sending the signal for the ECU to adjust A/F ratio.
It's probably smoke from all the burning oil. :roll:

djzachtyler

what you say may hold true for a freshly built b series motor, but when you are talking a high mileage stock motor... it is going to burn a little oil. it is inevitable... it should not however be burn enough oil to blow blue smoke.

If you were to ask the Honda/Acura dealer ( I was given this info during my last multipoint inspection BTW) they would tell you directly it is normal to go through 1 quart every 1k - 1500 miles. They tend to factor in hard driving of the vehicle as well which would lean you more towards the lower values. most casual drivers will report maybe going through 1/3 to 1/2 quart every 1k or so.

Jesse_Heck

what you say may hold true for a freshly built b series motor, but when you are talking a high mileage stock motor... it is going to burn a little oil. it is inevitable... it should not however be burn enough oil to blow blue smoke.

If you were to ask the Honda/Acura dealer ( I was given this info during my last multipoint inspection BTW) they would tell you directly it is normal to go through 1 quart every 1k - 1500 miles. They tend to factor in hard driving of the vehicle as well which would lean you more towards the lower values. most casual drivers will report maybe going through 1/3 to 1/2 quart every 1k or so.
Yeah I think its just the wiring thing you were talking about. I dont get blue smoke. And it doesnt go through a quart every 1K. I was over exageratting. Its maybe like half a quart.

dlo253

No, actually it's not. There is nothing in the operation of a B18a1 motor that when in good health it should burn a quart of oil in 1,000 miles. It's tired and you have bad oil control rings or valve stem seals if you're burning that much oil.

It's probably smoke from all the burning oil. :roll:
This^… don't care if it has 200 or 200,000. If its burning that much oil something sure needs to be looked at. I tend to take stuff that any shop tells me, with a grain of salt. Whether its backyard bobs or acura. I've talked to plenty "certified" people at acura and it has been clear they don't know what they are talking about half the time.