b18b1 swap ?

CALI-BEAR-DA9

CALIFOOLYA RAIDER
i just swaped my b1b8a1 out for a b18b1 and was running good but now all of a sudden it wont go past 4500 rpms.. what causes this? how can i fix this problem?:what:

XSB1X

did you make sure u didnt move anything in the in the tranny when u did the swap like flywheel or clutch??

CALI-BEAR-DA9

CALIFOOLYA RAIDER
i didnt do anything to the tranny.. i had an alignment problem with the clutch at first but that got taken care of just noticed that my rpms dont go past 4500 and the needle on the tach was kind of jumpy and not stable like it should be as the rpms get higher from a dead stop....:what:

Prozon

Kris
How long was it running before you had the issue?
Does it idle fine or does it jump around at idle?

Did you swap ECU's? (OBD0 to OBD1)

Exige24

How long was it running before you had the issue?
Does it idle fine or does it jump around at idle?

Did you swap ECU's? (OBD0 to OBD1)
What would happen if you don't swap ECUs? I had a family mechanic put my b18b in and I'm pretty sure he didn't do that since my engine didn't come with it that I know of, unless it's somewhere on the engine itself and he didn't tell me he bought anything for it other than a few belts..

BTW isn't the ECU the thing located by the back passenger seat?

Last edited:

Prozon

Kris
It's under the carpet under the dash.

If the fuel injectors and distributor were swapped from the '91 motor (Obd0) to the B18b1 motor, everything should be fine.
Exige, in your case you wouldn't need to. '93 is OBD1, so your good unless your motor is OBD2, which it probably wasn't if it's running good.

Exige24

It's under the carpet under the dash.

If the fuel injectors and distributor were swapped from the '91 motor (Obd0) to the B18b1 motor, everything should be fine.
Exige, in your case you wouldn't need to. '93 is OBD1, so your good unless your motor is OBD2, which it probably wasn't if it's running good.
Yeah, seems to run fine, but you never know. Thanks for the knowledge Prozon. You're the man :thumbs up