B18C1 Loud Strange Noise.. Need a Valve Adjustment?

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
See the 3 dashes? That's what I would have expected to see. You would line up the marks that are horizontal. If this was the exhaust cam gear, the mark all the way to the right would line up perfectly with the mark all the way to the left on the intake cam. They would be almost touching.

lokibear

You can see the three on his exhaust cam gear but its hard to see all three on the intake side

bvans

DC5-ED9
there are three dots on each, but they dont match up.. whoever installed the cam gears probably didnt care or something i dont know.. only two dots match up, the ones pointing up.
I'm not sure how im gonna make sure the cam gears are right before i put the belt back on.. ill probably just point the same two dots up. see how they're to the left a little? is that how i should put them again?

positive side - i finally got the crack pulley bolt off today, i'm gonna try finish the job tomorrow

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
I have a feeling your cam gears have been completely dissassembled and put back together wrong. That is the only way to explain what you are saying. The middle dots should be up, and the outside 4 dots should all make a perfect line. That is tdc on cyl 1, end of story.

bvans

DC5-ED9
ya thats what im thinking... i'll just put everything back the best i can.. look at the pictures on my phone n try match how they used to be

bvans

DC5-ED9
whats the proper coolant mixture for the radiator? i have one bottle of rad fluid and a gallon of distilled water

bvans

DC5-ED9
hey guys just replaced the water pump, tensioner, and timing belt...
started her up to make sure everything was running properly, and all of a sudden the timing belt went really loose, so i'm gonna try to fix that..
also, the noise.. why im replacing all of this.. is still there.

r0g3r16

had the exact same problem with my teg, it ended up being a bad bearing even tho you could only heard it every now and then eventually it started doing it non stop at idle but would go away if you gave it a bit of gas.............also you sure the tensioner was on right? the 1st time i did my timing belt the tensioner moved out of place.

bvans

DC5-ED9
bad bearing where?

i loosened the tensioner to try move it and tighten the belt again but it has no effect on the looseness of the belt

r0g3r16

bad rod bearing

you sure the lil spring on the tensioner is on and is on the lil stud on the other side? mine slipped of the lil stud and was causing my belt to be kinda loose

bvans

DC5-ED9
ill check that little stud i know what you're talkin about..

did you repair the bearing or did you just swap the engine?

r0g3r16

a friend had gaven me a b20 block that i was already building so i drove it like that till i finished the other block then swapped it out.... i drove it like that for about a month at first it would only make the noise every now and then during a cold start and after about a month it would do it at idle no matter what.

bvans

DC5-ED9
ya its only at cold starts right now.. well, looks like after i figure out this whole timing belt situation ill be replacing the rod bearings. is it just as simple as pulling the oil pan, and replacing? i know how its gonna look down there.. i have the basic image in my head of what to do

r0g3r16

from what i was told you need to check the clearance on them 1st and if there still what there supposed to you can just replace them with stock bearings and if not youll need oversized bearings..... i took my block to a machine shop for that part they checked it for free but i hadda buy the parts from them, they were real helpfull tho. not sure if you live nearby there in riverside