B18C1 Loud Strange Noise.. Need a Valve Adjustment?

bvans

DC5-ED9
quick update -
this guy owns a shop right next door to the shop i was going to originally take my teg to. hes owed my dad a favor because he pretty much ripped him off a few years back when he said he could fix my dad's electrical problem but ended up not being able to.

SO, i spoke to the guy and he said he'd fix the timing belt & the timing, do a valve adjustment, replace the cam seals and a couple other odd jobs. all for $200. he had it done this morning, he called me up saying hes done, but he promises he knows the problem making the noise in my engine. he said for another 250 he'll drop the oil pan and do everything he can, checking all the bearings.. and if the noise still exists, i dont have to pay him..

this guys quite a character, but hey... if he fixes the noise i'll be more than happy to give him $450 to fix such a shit problem..

i'm gonna go pick my car up tomorrow, lets see what happens!

nwslsquad

any update?
my gsr makes a shutter noise when i first start it for like 3 seconds then goes away. only when i start it at a cold start. someone told me it was the oil pump because thats what i would do lol. but im not shure if its the oil pump or the lifters any advice?

bvans

DC5-ED9
hey guys,
so. my cars home, NO NOISE. heres a copy of the receipt, see everything the guy did.. i'm gonna go back to him n ask what he even did to stop the noise, cuz all he put was "pulled oil pan to fix noise from.."
what the hell did he do? haha.. when I got my car car back, i drove around the parkin lot, and noticed she couldn't idle. took my teg back in and they made a few adjustments by the iacv (some screw?) and now it idles without dropping to a near stall, but now i have that loping idle nonsense.. its not horrible, but it still bugs me.. guess I'll be cleaning the iacv

also, I believe he used synthetic oil.. smells like crap, whats your take on synthetic 10w 40 in a gsr?

k20wagon

Glad its fixed, and I wouldn't recommend running synthetic in a motor that has been ran without it. Only time should really switch from regular to synthetic is when you rebuild the motor and the motor gets worn in a little.

nwslsquad

yeah my tuneer told me to run full synthetic oil 5w30 im ussing royal purple. but my gsr only gots 22,000 miles. it stoped the noise. now i just hear ticking found out my lma was bad time to replace it:)