B18C5 2.0L Crank And Rod Help

SOLOITR2001

2001 ITR OWNER
Ok so I am planning to take my motor to a machine shop to get some work done. I was thinking of making it a 2.0L. I hit up Darton Sleeves to get some info on the project and they said I would need to get an LS crank and rods. I was thought I would check with everyone here to see if that is really needed. I do know the differences between the LS and Type R but still not 100% sure why it is needed. Can someone explain.

Thanks for the time and info.

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
84mm bore x89mm crank stroke= 2.0
84mm bore x87mm crank stroke=1.9xx

You will not see that much of a power gain by going to a 2.0 honestly compared to the 1.9. If you must have a 2.0 then yeah you need a 89mm crank in your type r block.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
i would keep the itr crank as its heavier and will be able to keep it going at higher revs. The only reason to make your car a 2.0 would be to use bigger cams imo

SOLOITR2001

2001 ITR OWNER
Yeah I really dont want to use a LS crank. 1.9L doesnt sound bad at all. With going with that setup will I still need to sleeve the block?

SOLOITR2001

2001 ITR OWNER
Number wise IDK just yet. Whatever it makes after I am done is fine with me.

I do drive it often, so reliability and pump gas is a must. I was going to go with some Skunk 2 Tuner Series cams, I am for sure going to do a complete port and polish job by Port Flow. All Supertech drivetrain. I later, much later plan on going with a Jackson Racing Supercharger.

Right now its got (engine wise)
-Mugen intake
-Hytech header
-Hytech twin loop exhaust

And thats about it.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
skunk2 tuner what

because unless you go tuner 3 i dont think you need to bore your block. You will be into the 200whp club on a 1.8 liter with skunk2 tuner 2 cams, 180whp range-190 range with skunk2 tuner 1. I suggest going all skunk2 if you go with a skunk2 cam, if not at the very least a skunk2 cam gear as skunk2 tests their cam with their valve train (ie skunk2 cams are tested with skunk2 springs and cam gears). Supertech is a good company, but if i were spending alot of money on a build, i would go with all one company.

SOLOITR2001

2001 ITR OWNER
True. Ill look into going Skunk2 all the way. I originally wanted to go with Tuner stage 2 or 3s but those are not smog legal. I mean if I could get away with it I would. I live in AZ so its not as nearly as strict as CA but we still got smog to worry about it.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
the Tuner 2 cam you should be able to get away with smog as you are only going to test the primary lobes. or just run another ecu

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
I would personally go supertech on the valves, but I am biased lol. The s2 cams are pretty nice, but alot of the power will come from the intake manifold you select, it will either aid or hinder your numbers. 82mm is prob the biggest I would go on stock sleeves as well.

If you are planning on a supercharger later down the road you gotta watch your compression ratio. 10:1 is about the limit for a tuner to tune a forced induction setup, although some will do it even with higher compression. You don't build a all motor setup with future aspirations of forced induction and vice versa, you either build for 1 or the other.