BEWARE!!! - Skunk2 Bushings Very Brittle - DANGEROUS!!! (Pics + Video)

dlo253

They are the best of the worst brands, to sum it up. Let's just wait and see how they handle it from a customer service perspective.

superhypered

(╯°□°)╯ ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ)
only reason my bushings cracked were because i sprayed PB blaster on them to stop some squeaking i had going on..which didnt help, but i emailed skunk 2 about it and they sent me the replacements for them for free
I guess that was you I was referring to about the drying up and cracking.

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
Mine were fine when I had the rear camber kit on the DB8. How unfortunate.

Sammich

I guess that was you I was referring to about the drying up and cracking.
yep, it was my own fault and i put that in the thread so there wouldnt be confusion...i still have the squeaking though :???: i think the bolts need to be tightened on the camber kit

5ive-0

Freshest
Sorry to hear that OP. Its a good thing u caught it. I had a bad issue a few months ago with there pro series cam gears. On one of the cam gears, the adjustment screws started coming loose and had metal flakes. Took a close look at them and noticed all 6 of them had either broken apart or started cracking around the adjustment screw. And with that alone n issues I've heard from others, I'm done buying junk2! So I replaced them with Spoon cam gears!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

DailyDB8

>>>Honda Enthusiast<<<
some more close up of the damages.

passenger rear:

driver rear:

oh wait... did 1/4 bushing survive? barely a crack developing.

again... even tho the rear camber kit was installed in 2009. i've put on at most 5000 miles on the vehicle... and i rounded up! realistically its around 3000miles

no the car isn't slammed... its low, but i have no camber issues what so ever (i had an allignment before and after)
no i dont daily the car... its been in the garage most of its life.
no i dont track the car... nor do i do canyon runs.
no i didn't apply WD-40... and no i didnt lube them with white grease (isn't required / nor does skunk2 mentions it)

if it were a maintenance was issue... why did only the newest part with the lowest amount miles fail? obvious i already know the old skunk2 bushing are crap... what i'm not satisfied is with the quality and customer service skunk2 provides. like i said before... i've been buying stuff from skunk2 since they were called skunkworks. and it all boils down to quality control and R&D. which i finally realize they dont have any of.

first off, i wasn't being a dick when i emailed them. took them awhile for a response, which i expected. they tried to sell me the replacement, that was expected. they didn't answer the question of why it failed... ok so i tried again... no response eh? i let a week fly by... still no response. the second i send a somewhat unhappy email. i get an immediate response... but yet no clear answer to why your bushing failed. CAUSE YOU KNOW WHAT... SKUNK2 EMOPLYEES DONT KNOW JACK ABOUT THEIR OWN PRODUCTS. I ALSO HAVE EMAILS OF ME POINTTING OUT THEIR ALPHA SERIES TB DOESNT WORK ON GSRS... I HAD TO CORRECT THEM.

with the bounty non-sense, i tried to push it aside but those guys were right. skunk2 is a joke.

ME said:
Sent: Tuesday, January 01, 2013 1:54 PM

Wanted to ask if you guys offer any warranty on the Rear Camber Kit? Appears the bushings were literally broke into pieces on both sides, some with no bushing at all. i have included pictures and curious if you had any input on this? i also have a video. this could have lead to something very serious and dangerous.
Skunk2 said:
Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 2:56 PM

If you have the original receipt and the purchase was made ‘new’ within the last 12 months. We should be able to assist with a warranty claim.

However, if the terms are beyond that – we do offer replacement bushings were are $3 per side + tax/shipping/etc.

Regards,
ME said:
Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 9:39 AM

unfortunately this was purchased in late 2008 @ jhpusa, i have the invoice. could you explain what caused the bushing to fail? your site says " Skunk2’s polyurethane bushings won’t tear or break free. ". I'm just trying to understand what caused it so it doesn't happen again. I'm not too confident on this skunk2 product if it were to fail again.
ME said:
Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Hello can i get a response? If you cant explain to me why your product failed, then why should i continue to use sknuk2 prodcuts? I've been buying products from you guys since you were called skunkworks, and if this is how you respond to your consumers, then i choose not to support skunk2 products no longer.
look at the immediate response i got right after... and he's still trying to sell me the bushing. i didn't tell him i already ordered it. i just wanted to see how far he'll push to sell me the bushing.

Skunk2 said:
Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 9:04 AM

I do apologize for the late response. We’ve been playing a bit of catch up since the holidays as we went through them a man short and it appears your 2nd email was over-looked.

I cannot begin to speculate as to why the product failed over the amount of time that you had them on the vehicle. With anything, especially suspension components, there are a number of variables that would hinder & alter the life expectancy of any of the components used.

We certainly appreciate your continued business over the years and we are here to help should any issues arise. We honor the full warranty over a 12-month period covering any manufacturing defects and have constantly reviewed our current products over the years and make any progressive changes and alterations through the line to further benefit the customer along with keeping the costs at an ‘affordable’ rate.

We do have the replacement bushings readily available for shipment at $3 (that covers two halves that make up one complete bushing) + shipping and I can certainly assist you in getting those ASAP if you would like.

Again – I apologize for the delays in getting a response out to you and I am working on getting the response time down significantly for any and all inquiries that come through.

If you have any further questions, comments or concerns. Please let me know personally and I’ll do my best to assist you.
i know i'm sorta digging up a dead horse, but its funny how they have a article that says they introduced a new better bushing that replaces their old ones that failed but wont explain why. hmmmm. btw did i forget to mention they are on back order from skunk2? geez i wonder why....

anyhow, onto the review. so here are the changes they made and failed to mention to the consumers... whats new? we're the idiots that buy it... and do more R&D then their "race" team does. f***ing a. but like i said, i tell you how it is. dont like it? click the back button.

there are less slots inside the bushing from the old vs new. old one had 8 slots while the new one has 5? why less? i dont know... nor does skunk2. they probably stole the design somewhere.

the edges are rounded off now instead of a 90 degree cut.

The steel quality of the camber kit seems to be very strong. even tho i drove around with almost no bushing. there is minimal damage to the arm itself. if anything light scratches. but the question is... do i want to continue to use a product that has no R&D? and lately has moved onto more cosmetics than performance for the past 10 years? a company that constantly has updates to their products? how many versions of crap do you guys gotta make? i should have went with tein suspension... and hardrace for camber. companies that provide good warranty and actually designs and tests their own products. I'm not going to lie... these skunk2 parts wont be going removed anytime soon, i've already invested too much time and money.

seems like skunk2 is more about
PROFIT > Enthusiasts... the sport... the competition.

Last edited:

XjoEnX

Damn sorry man. After that scripted response from skunk2, I would move elsewhere too. The second response from them is just a longer version of their first response. Doesn't sound like they addressed your issue with it and only offered an unneeded solution. That's a damn shame. Skunk2 is really digging their own graves at this point.

DailyDB8

>>>Honda Enthusiast<<<
i mean most companies would try to explain their failures and how they improved it... i think my s***ty home made pictures did a better job than their editors/writers.

superhypered

(╯°□°)╯ ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ)
I, for one, commend you for your efforts, and you should be digging up several dead horses. This was a serious issue and could have led to an accident. Imagine how many people have already have accidents because of it?

Also they need a better warranty. $3 for each bushing? They should have just sent them out for free, they probably make each one of them for literal pennies.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
I thought most of their shit was made in china. They engineer it here and send it to be manufactured overseas for dirt cheap with inconsistent quality control, no different then the majority of other aftermarket companys now.

superhypered

(╯°□°)╯ ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ)
I bet if they boost their customer service, the majority will overlook it. But since their shit sucks and their customer service sucks, now we're gonna pick every piece of them off one by one.

Sammich

i know those more slots = more opportunities for failure and having it rounded off it almost like a stress relief type thing if i'm wording this right. i always got an immediate response when i dealt w/ Skunk 2, and they sent me free bushings at no cost for my coilovers

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
It might have just been a bad batch of urethane/rubber. They're parts perform well from my experience, again it comes down to quality control.