Bolts tightened to torque specification question

Da90Teg

Sorry for the question, Im going to be replacing my trans fluid and it says in the repair manual Ive bought to tighten the drain and filler plugs up to a torque specification.

I dont have any way to tell how tight things are, is it really important or can I just tighten them up good and tight and be good to go?

Again, sorry for the noob questin.

96LSteg

Jemel
I recommend torquing to spec simply because its easy to break them and because its the only RIGHT way. Don't cut corners

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Da90Teg

I dont have a way to check the torque of them though, so what would be the best way to do it

96LSteg

Jemel
^this wouldn't be torquing to spec tho

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

dlo253

Just be smart about it. Don't over tighten it and crack the tranny case... don't have it too loose so it pisses fluid all over. U will be fine.

Nick_C78

Lol at the impact gun comment.

I torque everything to spec personally. It is just good practice. If you don't have a torque wrench, buy one. It is a good investment, especially if you plan on doing more work to your car. If it is just something you need to do asap, then just do what Samurai said and use a 3/8 ratchet and snug them up pretty good and you'll be fine. You would really have to put some serious pressure on it to break those bolts with a standard size 3/8 ratchet.

However, I still recommend buying a torque wrench and getting in the habit of torquing everything to spec. Less chance of having problems when things are done to spec.