Buying a RSX Type-S

rnhib25

ricer all day
why is the steering wheel a different color than the interior. To the best of my knowledge the steering wheel should be black to match the interior; not a greyish tan color.

red98teg

Keep on Truckin
Problems with the RSX's... well the list is actually a lot longer than you think...

The trans problems are real. every single one will have problems eventually.
Axles go bad at about 100K mi if not less. (mine went at about 88K)
They burn oil pretty bad if the car isnt driven like a grand ma
o2 sensors go out at about 100k mi
I busted an engine mount when that never should have happened
The master or slave cylinders always go out around 90K mi (have seen this happen at as little as 50K mi)

the list of reasons NOT to buy this car goes on and on... but i will say that i still loved driving the RSX and that when it wasnt messed up (pretty often) it was an awesome car. imo get a subie

DC_Five_Earl

Problems with the RSX's... well the list is actually a lot longer than you think...

The master or slave cylinders always go out around 90K mi (have seen this happen at as little as 50K mi)

the list of reasons NOT to buy this car goes on and on... but i will say that i still loved driving the RSX and that when it wasnt messed up (pretty often) it was an awesome car. imo get a subie
Well put Adel. :thumbs up pretty much a bittersweet car. But I love it anyways :oops:

red98teg

Keep on Truckin
Well put Adel. :thumbs up pretty much a bittersweet car. But I love it anyways :oops:
i know i come off as a hater... but for the money you can get a lot more car our of a subie (not that they are all trouble free too). but i STILL love driving that car. i get to drive it about every 3 weeks or so and it ALWAYS puts a smile on my face

DC_Five_Earl

i know i come off as a hater... but for the money you can get a lot more car our of a subie (not that they are all trouble free too). but i STILL love driving that car. i get to drive it about every 3 weeks or so and it ALWAYS puts a smile on my face
Yeah the subbie realization came late to me too.. haha. I feel you though, they couldv'e done soo much better with this car.

RedBullTEG

why is the steering wheel a different color than the interior. To the best of my knowledge the steering wheel should be black to match the interior; not a greyish tan color.
I have no idea. It's actually dark grey. it seems like it should be black tough. Basically i have decided to buy this one. Test drove it and it is so quick. I had to be so gentle with the gas pedal. The car came from florida this summer. never seen winter or been in any accidents. This car is a steal. I love the 6 speed transmission. so so nice to get back to manual. my dads civic is too boring

kleenkreativ

So how bad is the grinding in 2nd and or 3rd gear? i mean if it does it very often then could the tranny start to go bad or 2nd gear grind until something bad happens??? just wondering. it sounds annoying and not fun to hear a gear grind. i know
Mine isn't really that bad. It only seems to happen occasionally and it's very minor – just not as smooth as the other gears. As for my 3rd gear, it just seems to come out easier than it should, even without the clutch all the way in. I just try and remember to put it to the floor before taking it out of third.

kleenkreativ

While I do have very slight tranny issues, I'm sitting at 120k and don't have any problems with my axles/CV joints. It's not burning much oil, I don't think, but I need to double check that today, after a long weekend trip on the road. I do tend to get into that V-Tech pretty often...lol.
My O2 sensor does need to be replaced, but I have no issues with my master or slave cyliinders (yet.)
I think I lucked out that the one previous owner was a girl who took great care of it (and probably drove it like a grandma...hehe.)

RedBullTEG

While I do have very slight tranny issues, I'm sitting at 120k and don't have any problems with my axles/CV joints. It's not burning much oil, I don't think, but I need to double check that today, after a long weekend trip on the road. I do tend to get into that V-Tech pretty often...lol.
My O2 sensor does need to be replaced, but I have no issues with my master or slave cyliinders (yet.)
I think I lucked out that the one previous owner was a girl who took great care of it (and probably drove it like a grandma...hehe.)
Nicee. Yea I bought her. picking her up tomoro. I am so happy. I have a very sharp, fast and comfortable car. Very unique around here. Driving to class and work is gonna b fun.

kleenkreativ

Nicee. Yea I bought her. picking her up tomoro. I am so happy. I have a very sharp, fast and comfortable car. Very unique around here. Driving to class and work is gonna b fun.
Nice! Did you buy that white one you posted?
I love having a unique car around here, too. So glad I didn't go with the Mini Cooper, as there are no RSX's around my town and several Minis (seems like half the town drives new Camaros, though.)

I saw a buddy of mine (from my hometown, when I was visiting) this past weekend who drives an '02...pretty sure he was jealous of mine when they were parked next to each other. ;)

RedBullTEG

yep its the one i posted. Mint condition. Came from being in Florida. Im picking it up tomoro. I g=had class and work all day today. More photos to come i promise

kleenkreativ

yep its the one i posted. Mint condition. Came from being in Florida. Im picking it up tomoro. I g=had class and work all day today. More photos to come i promise
Awesome, congrats!
I'll have to come back and check the pics – images are blocked here at work.

DropThatHammer

They will do this kind of thing on purpose. They reset the ECU and stick it straight on the lot instead of investing money into it. That way it is perfectly fine when you test drive it. Then after you buy it and put 1 or 2 hundred miles on it, it comes back.
That is not possible. It may seem to make sense, and locical that an Acura delear ship would be able to do something like that but that just isn't reality. Sensors that are triggered will always give you a CEL ERROR code. Simplily resetting the ecu will not get rid of this. I know because i've tried it. My friend is also a honda express mechanic. The only way to get rid of a CEL is to find, and fix the problem and then reset the ecu. After 5 minutes of letting the car idle, the CEl will pop up again unless the problem has been corrected.
People make the RSX tranny sound like shit. It all depends on how many miles are on the car, how the driver drives the car, and what kind of mods the car has. 200hp to the flywheel stock is alreayd a good load, adding an intake/header/exhaust makes the car run lean without a Hondata ECU upgrade and not to mention a little bit harder on the OEM clutch. I blew my clutch out at 60k becuase the previous owner abused it. I replaced my clutch with my a buddy of mine and the tranny feels great. I've never had any grinding problem or poping problem, even beofe my clutch went out. If you have that problem try to bleed the CMC and get a tranny fluid swap, that should help. I can speak from experience on this, I know this is my first post but I barely joined this site, coming from CRSX.
If you want to see my clutch install pics or just want to see my 2006 type-s, heres my link:

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=737835&page=1

And good luck with your new RSX man, take care of it and it will take care of you I promise. People can really abuse their cars without knowing it.:D