Camshaft damage?

Esesober

I was changing my valve cover gasket today because my engine had a small leak in the engine and noticed that the camshaft had a side that was scratched. Will it be bad to drive my car with them under this condition? If I have to replace them I would want to upgrade them so what would you recommend, please note that my engine is stock. Does anyone know how this damage happened, my engine sounds and feels healthy.
Here's a few pictures of how it looks. Looks like it been scraping on something

OneFastGSR

I'm with muckman, I tried to enlarge the photos and I just couldn't see any damage lol

Esesober

Lol there's like a line that all flat across all the shaft like if it's been rubbing against something but I just wanted to make sure if I had to replace it because I'm a lil short on cash but this is my daily so I don't want anything happening to my car. I also noticed that 3 that hold the shaft down are broken so I'm gonna replace those and have to do a valve adjustment

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Its just tooling marks. It was like that from day 1. Make sure you torque the new bolts to spec.

Nick_C78

How can you guys not see the damage? Isn't it obvious that the middle vtec lobe has worn away completely? In one area it turned in to a hexagon...

Esesober

How can you guys not see the damage? Isn't it obvious that the middle vtec lobe has worn away completely? In one area it turned in to a hexagon...
That's exactly what I'm talking about I'm glad I'm not the only one who see it

DonJulio

Reppin' tha NW
I see the problem.

He didnt use the proper oil. The oil recommended in the USA is 10w30 but that's not enough for jdm power plants. You must use 15w40 diesel motor oil or your engine will prematurely wear like it did in your car. The LS doesn't not have a vtec lobe. Don't listen to these Pollocks. When the LS engine engages lean burn at 2000rpm, regular motor oil is too thin at operating temp and doesn't properly lube the camshafts. That's why you need heavyweight diesel motor oil like japan originally intended.

I highly suggest fixing your regimen.