Clutch replacement and flywheel questions.

XjoEnX

I replaced my old clutch with an Exedy OE replacement in my old teg. I loved it. Sorry Pattycakes. But I've seen the way you drive. You got a heavy foot.

2kdb7

I just did this get a exedy OEM replacement on amazon I think its like 130 shipped resurface your flywheel if it has hot spots or cracks get a new one again amazon has some sweet deals. I also replaced my axles while I was there super easy(I've done it a few times) hardest part is removing the tranny. On yours make sure you unplug your speedo cable! I forgot it on my 90 and on the one I just did. There is a metal clip that holds it on.

Ps. Don't be like me and drop your clutch

Last edited:

Jesse_Heck

So exedy stage 1 clutch, tourque wrench to properly install it and resurface the flywheel? Im on a highschool budget here haha im not going for a new flywheel. Any tips on breaking in a clutch properly? I want to do this right.

Jesse_Heck

Am i shifting wrong or somthing? When im actually driving fast i usually drop the clutch when im trying to find the next gear quickly, i go a little more gentle when lanching. This of course being when im going fast i usually drive it all gentle and baby it most of the time.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Am i shifting wrong or somthing? When im actually driving fast i usually drop the clutch when im trying to find the next gear quickly, i go a little more gentle when lanching. This of course being when im going fast i usually drive it all gentle and baby it most of the time.
For breaking in the stage 1 just drive normally for the first 500 miles. ( Normally as in do not drop clutch, power shift, race, etc)

Your driving, yes it sounds like you are doing it wrong. You should never drop the clutch, it sounds like you need to practice moving your feet quickly, but not harshly.

A common misconception is people think that by slamming though the gears you will produce faster results, however by being rough you are usually rewarded with slower results because the initial shock you have caused must first be dissipated through the damper, clutch facing, and then the driveline resulting in loss of energy and time. Where if you were smooth the shock will be less, making less wasted energy and less time disipating and slipping, this will increase speed, performance, and produce less wear.

Slow is fast, focus on being consistent, at first it will seem like your driving is rougher but eventually you will adjust and get better, but be consistent. Focus on how you shift smoothly when you drive normally, when you drive fast you want to do it the same way, but quicker. Not harsher, just quicker, got it?

olakm91790

whats the best quality to price clutch kit/lightflywheel for 93 ls

I have a 1993 ls stock motor and tranny. It has 250000 miles but has been serviced regularly and still runs like a champ. My clutch is starting to get real bad and starting to slip. Im guessing this is the second clutch its had. I eant to get a full clutch kit and a lightweight flywheel but am not sure what brand and site to order from. Im thinking the excedy stage 1 kit sounds good but im still looking for a good lightweight flywheel at the right price. Does anyone know of any good deals? I want a snappier more responsive feel and be able to be fairly rough on the clutch without worrying. Any help would be appreciated!

Sammich

i havent ran exedy or competition clutch for over 50k miles...i think i got more out of my comp clutch before i sold the car, it was a stage 1..ran great in the max

the exedy i had in my GSR was good, didnt have any issues until the car got stolen..

right now i have an exedy OE replacement in my DB1 w/ a comp clutch LWFW...running great for me..stock setup pretty much...so...until it fails i have nothing bad to say about it

olakm91790

I found a kit with excedy stage 1 organic clutch kit and a 9 lb xtd flywheel for 236$. Is that 9 lb flywheel gonna be any good? Also should i worry about replacing the master and slave cylinder? Right now with the bad clutch the clutch doesnt engage until the very top of the pedal. Also if its in gear and i suddenly press the gas pedal kinda hard it will slip and rev up a little before it feels like its really in gear. Any help would be amazing! I dont have money for labor twice so i need to make sure i get it all done at once.