Cost of a b18c swap?

Kyle

so you're planning on leaving the engine stock since you're concerned about ecu's? and my car has an immobilizer lol just not a factory one :p
No I won't leave it stock. I plan on getting some 403s, DC 4-2-1 header, PWJDM Whale Penis, Greddy SP2 or Ti-C exhaust, Exedy clutch+ lighter fly wheel (12lbs or a ITR 14lbs one). Sure it won't run great on stock ECU but i want my immboi. A tuned car won't do me much good if it's stolen don't you think? I will explore some options on installing some kinda of kill switch or something if I decide to go OBD1 in the future for tuning. But I will still need to swap my OBD2 ecu back in for emissions. I still need to research and decide which path is best. I'm a fan of doing something different, aka a non-VTEC build.

Death-the-Kid

anta honma ni shinude
No I won't leave it stock. I plan on getting some 403s, DC 4-2-1 header, PWJDM Whale Penis, Greddy SP2 or Ti-C exhaust, Exedy clutch+ lighter fly wheel (12lbs or a ITR 14lbs one). Sure it won't run great on stock ECU but i want my immboi. A tuned car won't do me much good if it's stolen don't you think? I will explore some options on installing some kinda of kill switch or something if I decide to go OBD1 in the future for tuning. But I will still need to swap my OBD2 ecu back in for emissions. I still need to research and decide which path is best. I'm a fan of doing something different, aka a non-VTEC build.
you have a map car. those mods will be a virtual waste without tuning for them. How are you gonna edit ignition timing and injector pulse width? i would recommend to sticking to just basic Boltons if you're not going to tune the ecu. non-vtec is cool i guess if you like wasting money. if the b18b head didn't' flow like garbage then i would say go for it. but you'll waste even more money with it. some cams, upped compression and a vtec head and you're looking at over 200whp. a b18b you're looking at extensive head work to not even let it flow like a stock vtec head and be on the utter verge of not being street able to maybe make 175whp at best and get worse economy and spend more money. i guess it depends on your goals. i personally don't like to waste my money...unless it's on asian girls

p.s. where are you located? and do not get a dc header

Kyle

you have a map car. those mods will be a virtual waste without tuning for them. How are you gonna edit ignition timing and injector pulse width? i would recommend to sticking to just basic Boltons if you're not going to tune the ecu. non-vtec is cool i guess if you like wasting money. if the b18b head didn't' flow like garbage then i would say go for it. but you'll waste even more money with it. some cams, upped compression and a vtec head and you're looking at over 200whp. a b18b you're looking at extensive head work to not even let it flow like a stock vtec head and be on the utter verge of not being street able to maybe make 175whp at best and get worse economy and spend more money. i guess it depends on your goals. i personally don't like to waste my money...unless it's on asian girls

p.s. where are you located? and do not get a dc header
I mean that's fine but to bluntly honest, I don't really feel like jumping on the VTEC bandwagon with all the VTEC fanboys. I think that you are over simplifying LS/VTEC and not understanding some of the non VTEC cams out there. Crower 404 cams are some VERY aggressive cams and can make alot of power. I read about a B20 make 203whp with them, and according to the owner it was still streetable and tam. Sure he spent a good amount of money to achieve it but that is still very impressive. I mean if you want to get down to it, why not just save up a few extra thousand and boost? Way more power than any VTEC engine could ever hope to make. I will agree that the head blocks flow but you can still make decent power with B18Bs which is something that I think people don't understand. VTEC isn't some magical thing, it's amazing but it doesn't correlate to going faster. B16s have "VTEC" and they aren't anything to brag about. I live in MD btw.

Death-the-Kid

anta honma ni shinude
I mean that's fine but to bluntly honest, I don't really feel like jumping on the VTEC bandwagon with all the VTEC fanboys. I think that you are over simplifying LS/VTEC and not understanding some of the non VTEC cams out there. Crower 404 cams are some VERY aggressive cams and can make alot of power. I read about a B20 make 203whp with them, and according to the owner it was still streetable and tam. Sure he spent a good amount of money to achieve it but that is still very impressive. I mean if you want to get down to it, why not just save up a few extra thousand and boost? Way more power than any VTEC engine could ever hope to make. I will agree that the head blocks flow but you can still make decent power with B18Bs which is something that I think people don't understand. VTEC isn't some magical thing, it's amazing but it doesn't correlate to going faster. B16s have "VTEC" and they aren't anything to brag about. I live in MD btw.
lol i'm not on the vtec bandwagon. i'm more about boost myself. You're completely missing my point. it's the head flow i care about not vtec and i've seen first hand how much more expensive it is and to not attain the same power goals and going a harder method just doesn't make sense to me...i don't care about "vtec" i care about head flow. that's why i said if the ls head didn't flow like s*** then sure go for it. but why pay more for less. i look at it form a money standpoint. i'm well aware of nonvtec cams. i care about power and economy. that's why displacement + a well flowing head is ideal. add some fi to that and you're looking at serious power. i could care less about bandwagons or whatever. and please don't ever mention a b16 around me...ever..... i've said time and time again the b18b is superior to the b16. throw some cams at it and a gsr trans and no b16 will compete with you. but i highly doubt there is an all motor 200whp b20b that is "streetable" and if it is then it's also pretty expensive and probably doesn't even idle close to stock or pull decent economy. i may be wrong but i highly doubt it. the only reason i even mentioned lsvtec is because of price and the apparent want for all motor...and yes i have a friend with a 175whp b18b who also owns a 328hp awd infiniti. i know they can make power but it's just not cost effective and i care about money more than "the bandwagon". honestly i think honda parts are overrated and overpriced. there is no reason to justify a 143whp 4cylinder should cost more than a 280-320hp twin turbo 6cylinder

but honestly go the most cost effective logical method. only noobs worry about bandwagons and other people desires of what's cool. Build your car for what you want. if you want a b18b with 200whp all motor running on meth i don't really care it's your money. i was just offering you an alternative to your apparent predicament. but whatever you do don't start adding all the random parts and try to run it off of a stock ecu . if you want to waste your money you can just mail it all to me. i'll find good use for it :p

P.S. what part of MD? I'm about 80 miles from MD. you going to honda day in NJ?

Last edited:

Teggy64

Got vtec?
to be honest i just want something simple to swap in. I have a full time job and school, don't really have the time to messing around with a frankenstein motor. I realize it can be reliable, ive done little research on it but to be honest it just isn't for me. For someone fairly new to cars and the honda game ls vtec is alittle over my head. I want a motor that's actually meant to rev that high from the factory. Their's a reason honda didn't equip the b18b with vtec...

Last edited:

Death-the-Kid

anta honma ni shinude
to be honest i just want something simple to swap in. I have a full time job and school, don't really have the time to messing around with a frankenstein motor. I realize it can be reliable, ive done little research on it but to be honest it just isn't for me. I want a motor that's actually meant to rev that high from the factory. Their's a reason honda didn't equip the b18b with vtec...
not saying you have to lsvtec your car but there is so much wrong with that statement. and i'm not here to turn this into an lsvtec debate but where did you get your info from? the forums/internet or an actual engine builder? just curious.

p.s. good luck with your swap

Teggy64

Got vtec?
not saying you have to lsvtec your car but there is so much wrong with that statement. and i'm not here to turn this into an lsvtec debate but where did you get your info from? the forums/internet or an actual engine builder? just curious.

p.s. good luck with your swap
both actually. I know a guy who owns a local tuner shop. He's built and repaired ls/vtec motors before, he aggrees that if built right they can be great motors, but for a newbie he said it's a lot to handel. Even if i wanted to go ls/vtec,my blocks got 155k on it, id rather put a project like that on a motor with lower miles. So I'd still buy a new motor either way.

Last edited:

Death-the-Kid

anta honma ni shinude
a lot to handle? how so...all motor hondas are not hard to handle unless you have an s2k or nsx. why don't you craigslist a b18c engine and just build it up. you'll probably spend the same money and not be trusting somebody word over the internet about the condition of the motor?

Teggy64

Got vtec?
sorry, he was refering to alot of work being involved building the motor and makin it reliable. The project's still a year away, got plenty of time for more research.

Last edited:

imcnblu

Resident G2 Guru of C-I
I picked up my OBD1 B18C (GS-R spec) from J-Spec Auto in Ashland, VA for $2950, out the door. That was with EVERYTHING needed for the swap, AND with the LSD transmission.

look up J-Spec Auto. They are amazing. I will now deal with them EXCLUSIVELY when it comes to buying motor swaps.