DB2 I/H/E help

red.line

Alright, just looking to see if you guys can clear some things up for me, I've been researching all day and can't seem to find a definite answer..I know this issue has been beaten to death but please bear with me.
I have a '92 GS-R and I'm looking to do some minor mods to it in the future, just your basic I/H/E for now, as this is my daily driver.
Now, being that the car has the B17A1 makes things a little confusing for me.

My main issue is finding a header. Will any B16/B18 header work? If not, what exactly should I look for?
Some sites will list "92-93 LS/GS 4-2-1 header" with no mention of any parts for the GS-R anywhere, whereas other sites will list a header as a "B16/B18 header" so it would make sense to think it would work for all B16/18 variants which would lead me to believe all headers to be of the same nature.
But does it vary from manufacturer to manufacturer?

Other than that, I'm just debating between the AEM SRI and CAI..this car is going to be daily driven all year round and living where I do, we have winter for 7 months out of the year.
The way I see it the CAI frees up more power, is more expensive and you have the risk of hydrolock whereas the SRI is cheaper, doesn't free up as much power and suffers from heatsoak.
Should I just grab the CAI and slap on the stock intake come winter? Or go with the SRI and keep it on all year round?
Any other intakes worth looking at? I saw the Weapon*R Secret Weapon SRI but at twice the price (MSRP) of the AEM, does it make any (noticeable/worthwhile) difference whatsoever?

Lastly, exhaust. I have what I believe is just an aftermarket ebay special catback and wouldn't mind switching it out to something of higher quality (I have friends who have run ebay exhausts and had welds crack/hangers break off, etc).
So mainly just looking for recommendations as well as recommendations for either a test pipe/high flow cat..might as well go with a test pipe though seeing as how we don't have emissions restrictions here.

Sorry for the long-winded post, just trying to wrap my head around this Honda stuff again and get some answers from the more experienced.
Thanks in advance for your insight and opinions and Happy Father's Day to all the dads in here. :thumbs up

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
Well as far as header, the b17 has a b16 head so any b16 or b18 header will work, but I'd stick to ones made for vtec heads. Intake wise, check out the Password JDM or Yowai SS carbon fiber "whale penis" intakes. They supposedly make as much power as a CAI but are short like and SRI so you don't need to worry about hydrolocking. Exhaust wise check out the GReddy TiC, I think they make one for the b17. Blox or Skunk2 tespipe.

red.line

Yeah, skunk2's header was listed as vtec only on weksos' site, but OBX also has a vtec specific b-series header..any idea if they're any good? Seems pretty cheap compared to other headers I've seen.
And the skunk2 is a little pricey for me..I guess I'd be looking for a more mid-range header..not something like megan which I've heard is prone to cracking (buddy had his crack on his SR20) but nothing overly expensive like the skunk2.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Password JDM makes a power chamber for the DA's..otherwise I'd be looking at that, or the AEM V2 intake but again, no dice for my car.

I saw the Ti-C, it actually looks like a very good option.
I'd probably go with the 60 mm (2.35"), so I'm guessing I'd want to get a header with a 2.25" collector and a test pipe of the same diameter to avoid bottlenecking the exhaust, correct?

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
I've never used OBX parts but I've heard they're not that great. Their turbo manifolds are supposed to suck so their headers probably aren't that much better.

You can always get a bypass valve for the CAI. And as long as you don't totally submerge the intake in a puddle it won't hydrolock.

The Ti-C seems nice. It made over (if I remember correctly) over 2 whp on a b18a1 in the latest issue of import tuner.

red.line

Bypass valve for the CAI? Could you explain, first time I've heard of that.

And yeah, that's what I was afraid of (with regards to OBX), kind of a "you get what you pay for" thing.

red.line

Thanks a lot, cold air and bypass valve it is! Haha.

Just looking around still and the RS*R ExMag GT2 looks like another good option at around $200 less than the GReddy system.

Still trying to decide on a header though..

red.line

Alright, so I think I've finally got the header narrowed down..

Now Greddy's header has a 2.165" collector and 99% of others have a 2.5".
So would it be better to go with Greddy's if I'm going to be running a 2.35" exhaust to avoid bottlenecking exhaust gasses?
And should I go with the header listed for the 92-93 LS/RS or for the 99-00 Si? I've read the B18 headers hang lower which causes a ground clearance issue and the last thing I want is to crush a pipe on our shitty roads here.

heykosal

Angkorian
You're on the right track staying away from cheap parts. OBX parts are some shit. Also, good call on comparing the collector size of any potential headers against piping size of any potential exhausts..bolltlenecking is no good.

I like the RSR exhaust, what's the piping diameter on that?

red.line

Thanks man..I mean I don't want to spend the money on the most expensive shit out there but I definitely don't want to cheap out on low quality parts and then end up regretting it later.

The ExMag GT2 has a diameter of 60 mm (2.35").

xusake

Thanks man..I mean I don't want to spend the money on the most expensive shit out there but I definitely don't want to cheap out on low quality parts and then end up regretting it later.

The ExMag GT2 has a diameter of 60 mm (2.35").

Post me the site where your buying ur RS*R ExMag im looking for one too.

red.line

I haven't even looked at where I'll be buying it from, only checked out their website.
I won't be ordering anything yet..need to sell my 240SX before I can even drive my Integra.

red.line

So I emailed GReddy about the fitment of the header for the 99-00 Civic Si on my GS-R they said they only test the products on the vehicle it's listed for AKA not much help at all haha.
So would anyone know if I'd be better off going with the header for the 99-00 Civic Si as opposed to the one for the 92-93 Integra LS/RS?

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
In terms of the head flange it will bolt up. The area you'll run into issues with is bolting it to the cat. The first thing that comes to my mind is length issues (too long or short). Also See what size the collector is and look at the design of it to make sure you'll have clearance under the car.