Driving in the snow

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Sorry Hgocasca I missed that :/. I just don't see it working better.

I know how we can solve this, let's get some wheel dollies and put them under your front tires, and I'll put them under my rears, then we can have a race and see what the outcome is. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

hgocasca

level 77 troll
As soon as I go awd, sure lol. That's different. We can have an ice race. My bald front vs your bald rear. Money says you spin out

DustinXIX

I'm pretty sure you're supposed to have the "better" tires out of the four on your "driven" wheels. Like me, I have both fwd and rwd vehicles, and I drive them YEAR round.the way I've always been taught was to put the better tires on the back for rwd and best on front for fwd and it's always worked good for me.but that's just my personal experience, although I've only been driving for 5 almost 6 years now.

XJEEP99

For a fwd vehicle you can step on the gas and recover your ass end if you can get traction. I don't need to ask a "real racer" (whatever that means) where they want their good tires. We're not racing, we're driving on the street, totally different. People will do what they want but I do not agree with this one bit.

XJeep99: I'm not going to drive my car in a reckless way because I think I'll be safer hitting something from the front than the rear, that's retarded. And if you think your not going to spin because you have better tires in the rear you have some lessons to learn. I'm not going to say anyone is a bad driver, but I question the level of skill from people when I hear things like this.
What about black ice when you lose ALL traction and have NO control ?? Would you rather go spinning out of control or go straight ? I know having better tires on the rear sounds idiosyncratic but that is a downside of fwd, it is only used because it's more economical and cheaper, not better..... RWD with weight in the back is better than fwd anyday(but fwd vs rwd with no weight, fwd would be better), if you understeer then you can counter with the gas and it's better when trying to get up steep inclines... For example, when there is freezing rain outside and you are taking a curve at a conservative speed(say 20 mph) but hit a patch of black ice.... then your back ass end would lose all traction and you would slide out of control versus going ina straight line where your airbags and seatbels can protect you the most and help ensure your survival. When my transfer case went out and it snowed I put 300 pounds of sandbags in back and went out(I have Bridgestone A/T 235 Revo's) and it did just fine in 5 inches of snow and was very fun and safe at the same time. I have open rear too, which makes it less prone to going sideways but hurts getting off the line.

Last edited:

BeatBox

Real Good!
we can go all day back and forth....

OP read thru the post and do what you think would be better for you....

mario_da9

Tex - Mex
save money, get all seasons.
also, someone had said to run ur tires at 22-24 instead of 32. well you might not want to do that since every 10 degrees you tires looses 1psi from lets say a 70 degrees stand point and ur tires when snowed out will be at 17-18 and will be too low imo. ive always ran 32 and never changed them too much

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
save money, get all seasons.
also, someone had said to run ur tires at 22-24 instead of 32. well you might not want to do that since every 10 degrees you tires looses 1psi from lets say a 70 degrees stand point and ur tires when snowed out will be at 17-18 and will be too low imo. ive always ran 32 and never changed them too much
That's why you measure your temperatures tire pressure at the ambient temperature you'll be driving in. This is only for extra traction in deep snow, not for daily driving.