Driving Styles

wite2nr

I was just wondering, when approaching a stop sign / traffic light, do most people downshift / heel toe and keep the car in gear, or push in the clutch / put the car in neutral / let off clutch and coast to a stop? I usually do the later but lately have been practicing my heel toe. Also, for normal city driving, when you you usually shift? I usually shift between 2 - 3.5k

Ericb

DRIFTERRRRRRRRRRR
<<<<<<<< :drive:

i took a guy for a ride one time, wasnt driving like an idiot or anything...we get back and i go in the house, i over here him tell my bro im a crazy driver and take it to 7K+ every gear...

when i got a passenger i drive easy, by myself i drive like im at the track, but while just driving i try not to take it over 4K around other cars. getting on the highway is a diff story.

while slowing down i usually just pop it in neutral and use the brakes. for needing to stop quickly i heel-toe and down shift as im slowing down.

heykosal

Angkorian
I heel/toe when I need to slow quickly so I can take advantage of the engine braking. Normally I just drop into neutral and brake.

But otherwise its nothing but a waste of gas and unnecessary wear on the clutch. Id rather replace brake pads than my clutch!

Oh and I barely touch 4k in normal driving. Save gas FTW..

Last edited:

IntegraTuner

when its a nice day n i wanna hear my exhaust and rev match, i downshift goin into lights... if goin to work or juss cruisin, neutral is where im at

heykosal

Angkorian
i usually put it in 3rd and when the rpms are around 1500-2000 push the clutch in.
yeah actually sometimes i do that too.

but on the flip side how do you guys accelerate? i mean, sometimes ill try 1-3-5 but if i dont rev it in 1st gear ill almost bog in 3rd. so a lot of times ill do 1-2-4-5 just in the name of fuel economy!!

XeroGlowGs

DA:my work in progress
I heel/toe when I need to slow quickly so I can take advantage of the engine braking. Normally I just drop into neutral and brake.

But otherwise its nothing but a waste of gas and unnecessary wear on the clutch. Id rather replace brake pads than my clutch!

Oh and I barely touch 4k in normal driving. Save gas FTW..
x2

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
On a level road, I shift around 3K. Accelerating up an incline I'll take it to 3.5ish, though my car has more low end TQ than the average Teg due to the 12:1 compression.
I usually put the car in neutral when pulling up to a stop sign/light. Like said before, rather have the wear on my brake pads than the clutch/tranny. Sometimes I'll downshift to 3rd, let the revs drop to 1.5K-ish then throw it in neutral, but rarely to second then neutral.

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
i always downshift when coming to a light/stopsign.. heel-toe doesnt really help slow down to a dead stop

when im approaching a turn or a green arrow (left or right) i heel toe to keep the rpm's up and no jerking of the car when slowing down..

when going from a stop light/sign, always shift at 4 or higher

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
When coming to a stop, I go to neutral. When coming into a corner with no stop sign or a green light, I heel-and-toe downshift usually to 2nd, then get through the corner.

Accelerating from a stop, I usually shift between 3K and 4K.

Racing, it's 8100 or higher. Haha!