engine goes boom.

72Spitfire

I was driving to work this morning, running about 25 MPH and was thinking "this motor sounds horrible and i'm surprised it has not blown up yet" when, right on cue, it immediately went BANG....knock....knock....knock and died. I pulled it in a parking lot and grabbed my work stuff and simply walked the rest of the way (6 blocks maybe). I only had time to pop the hood and feel the timing belt was loose so i thought maybe the tensioner had failed. I had it towed home and was eager to be finished working to look at the engine.
I got home...popped the hood and see this......OUCH!

It was on borrowed time. Only had 11K miles on it but it was cursed from the beginning. It got tremendous gas mileage (38 city) and made good power for so sounding so awful. I knew it was going to go. Just hoped it might run 50K miles or so. It never had great oil pressure and there was a weird knock in the head i had been meaning to investigate haha. No need now. Just sad my cam gear died.

Grabbed the truck and purchased another B20. Will begin install in the morning. Oh joy. :what:

Ill post internal pics when i get it apart. Priority is getting the new one installed. I have two days before work thursday. Wish me luck!

OLDSKOOLACURA

Holy shit!! That's a new one for me :eek:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

00DC2TW

not an odd failure considering they are aftermarket cam gears... if they were OEM I would say it would be odd...

Nick_C78

Damn that sucks man... Goodluck with the swap/build and what ever else you plan on doing with this car.