Even trunk floor, warning dial up users!

sylvaner01

G'day guys, about a week ago I wanted to start a project that would modify my trunk (I say trunk for you Americans) so that its even and a little higher.

I went ahead and made a rough build and this is how it turned out.

Wood 2400x600mm MDF $13.40
Screws: $2.00
70x2000 pine plank $2.00
Total cost: $17.40

Trunk before project took place:

As you can see my spare tire is bigger than the average so it sits up making everything uneven.
My sub also has issues staying level and still in its position. I tried making a custom sub box but this turned out to be an extremely hard project due to the place I build it into.. but thats another project, back onto this one!

First I got the old cover and traced around it to get the basic shape of the trunk, any other way seemed to be too hard.

I then cut the top half, then used the remaining wood to make the bottom half of the cover to make this shape:

With the basic shape complete I placed it into the trunk to see how it fits, I decided to extend the sides of the cover to the trunk will be completely level.

This piece needed some fixing up so I filled the bigger gaps with pieces cut out from scraps.

With the main structure complete I proceeded to add the raisers by using 70mm wide pieces of wood and placing them around the trunk so I would get maximum support and grip to the floor.

I then placed the whole structure into my trunk to see it it fits properly.

and then placed the carpet down to see if it covered the whole floor not showing any wood.

I then placed my sub and amp which now screws directly to the floor which allows me to securely place it anywhere in my boot.

I secured the wood together by using longer pieces of wood which the MDF screwed into the bottom off and plenty of wood glue.
This thing is as solid as a whale!!
I also made it grip to the metal surface by using anti slip mats underneath the legs of the wood and building it a tad too large so it fits snug.

And there we have it, not too clean but it does the job!!!!!!! all this for under $20!!!
Cheers =D

Last edited:

jznsn2u

Nice work sylvaner01. I had to construct something similar to this. When I purchased my car, it didn't come with it as well.

DustinXIX

nice write up :thumbs up ill have to give this a try.

JGvtec

Great one man! Glad you used trunk instead of boot thins time :lol: I was so lost the last time :)

Whats your name? I hate calling people by there username.

SnD3

Pretty nice. I too plan something like this, but just to make it raised high enough for it to sit above a full size spare... And make it nicer to lay on... Yes, I said lay on! lol My wife and I like to take the integra to the drive in from time to time, and its cuz with the windows and doors closed, and a huge window to look through! :D

Kiakid

Idk what to put here...
Pretty nice. I too plan something like this, but just to make it raised high enough for it to sit above a full size spare... And make it nicer to lay on... Yes, I said lay on! lol My wife and I like to take the integra to the drive in from time to time, and its cuz with the windows and doors closed, and a huge window to look through! :D
The movies arent the only comfy reason lol

red.line

Haha I use bungee cords to hold my sub in place as well in my winter DA9 (amp is mounted under the floor by the spare tire..actually looks like we have the same amp if yours is the M500 :p )..just wrapped them around the "60" part of the 60/40 split and it does the trick. :lol:

Accel.speed

basically, i like fast!
Totally been thinkin about doing this haha nice.

DriveIn movies FTW! I love my hatch for that reason hahahaha. ;)