first build and i need your opinions!!

Kyle

That is about what Mitch is gunning for and he has like 4-5k in parts. With labor and tuning about probably 6-7k.

pbteg11

pbteg11
ugh damn...well then a lot of people are lying about their numbers lol see that's why i had to break down and ask because you never know

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
ugh damn...well then a lot of people are lying about their numbers lol see that's why i had to break down and ask because you never know
Theres alot of misinformation and BS to sift through in this thread but the general jist of what you need to understand is that its not as simple as just throwing in the rods, crank and pistons. The easiest way should you choose to go that way for LSVTEC is to buy an LS block fully assembled and put a VTEC head on it, the thing you need to understand about the LSVTEC is that the difference in the stroke is what gives the non vtec engines slightly more torque and a lower power band, that being said, LS engines are not designed to rev to 9000 rpms, but thats not saying that they CANT. You can rev a LS reliably to 9k if you wanted to but it will require two basic upgrades, ARP rod bolts to hold the connecting rods together at high load and the girdle that comes with the GSR block, there is many aftermarket options for that but that is to stabilize the crank at high rpm's. Aside from that the LS rods are actually a little stronger then B18C rods.

IMO, if you keen on the high revving motor keep the B18C the way it is intended to be, and upgrade it differently, two really big supporting mods for power are compression ratio, and cylinder head port work. For the amount of money you will spend building an LS vtec you can have H beam rods, high compression pistons, and a fully ported and polished head and valvetrain upgrade that will yield more performance then an LSVTEC ever will. You can respect the creativity of the hybrid designs but sometimes the cost to gain ratio just doesnt add up.

pbteg11

pbteg11
i want a high revving motor 9k+ so your sayin keep the gsr crank and get new rods and pistons then doin headwork the rest of the way??

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
i want a high revving motor 9k+ so your sayin keep the gsr crank and get new rods and pistons then doin headwork the rest of the way??
keep your whole GSR setup, you wanna keep it NA, go high compression, with a built head, and supporting mods.

http://realstreetperformance.com/store/manley-h-beam-rods-honda-acura-gsr-b18-b18c-77.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YCP-Civic-Type-R-Integra-Pistons-Set-B16B-GSR-81-5MM-/170740687782?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item27c0f023a6#ht_3261wt_1396

B16A/B + .029" Head Gasket + YCP Type R Pistons (81mm): 10.80:1
B18A/B + .029" Head Gasket + YCP Type R Pistons (81mm): 11.71:1
B18C1 + .029" Head Gasket + YCP Type R Pistons (81mm): 12.40:1
B18A/B Block + B18C1 Head + 0.029" HG + YCP Type R Pistons (81mm): 12.64:1

and RS machine also makes some nice heat treated cast pistons as well that are much beefier then stock and great for NA setups. Have it all sent to your machine shop, crank, block, all your aftermarket stuff, have the rotating assembly balanced, have the block bored .5 over and honed properly, decked/pressure tested, etc. Get your head ported and polished with a nice valve job, and run some nice mild/medium profile NA cams.

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
thank you so much for actually clearing thinks up man
no problem, remember to do alot of research, honda tech is good for reading about how other people build their motors, but when you don't have a full grasp of what is involved in building some of these more complex hybrid motors, its better to er on the side of safety. Alot of people dive head first into these complex builds and no nothing of how an engine works, they think that they can throw money at the car and buy parts and put them together, and just pay other people to handle it, and then wonder why it blows up a few months later. LSVTEC's and B20VTEC's are some of the most common setups to go boom within the first 6 months due to a general lack of information.

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
In fact id be willing to bet you have no idea how many thousands of dollars your going to have to invest in the upgraded fuel and electronics system for tuning as well. ;) So you need to be ready to spend some cash if your going to do it correctly.

pbteg11

pbteg11
the guy that suggested the original setup has been buildin hondas forever which makes me wonder why he suggested a build that was so frowned upon by you guys

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
the guy that suggested the original setup has been buildin hondas forever which makes me wonder why he suggested a build that was so frowned upon by you guys
Ive seen people pull it off just fine, but for a beginner its not something I would ever recommend. Personally its money that is better spent elsewhere.

Give this a read and if you can make sense of it then you might be well enough off to handle the challenge. However I will remind you they have THOUSANDS into that build.

http://www.theoldone.com/articles/badtothebone/

pbteg11

pbteg11
no i got help with the tuning im family friends with one of the top tuners in arkansas lol its the build im new at...but you gotta start somewhere and i've grown up racing dirtbikes and everything else and i know you gotta pay to play lol

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
no i got help with the tuning im family friends with one of the top tuners in arkansas lol its the build im new at...but you gotta start somewhere and i've grown up racing dirtbikes and everything else and i know you gotta pay to play lol
Well if your up to it by all means look into doing a hybrid of something, B20VTEC's are probably some of the more preferred for power, but they don't rev as high because the B20 monosleeve is much more prone to cracking then the individual liners that the B18's have, but you can make excellent power on your B18C just the same with the right selection of mods. High compression is always the way to go with NA, and alot of guys run high compression with boost now as well, I have 11.5:1 pistons in my B20 im building for 10psi, but you have to know what your doing or the damn thing will explode trying to take it around the corner ;)