fuel question fuck mid grade

eiznekeM

Emergencies, such as your out in the middle of the desert without gas and all a stranger has is some 87 for you. Thats an emergency, now wanting to save a few pennies, no. There isnt a justifiable reason to ever run anything less then premium. Hell even if you were in the desert call AAA. If you run 87 in a GSR you will knock like mad and drastically reduce the life of the engine. If you cant manage to run premium in your GSR at all times sell it and buy a LS.

Premium or don't drive it, get a mustang if you want to abuse a car, that my only comment on the matter.
+rep.

Cman46290

Premium fuel only. There is a reason it says "PREMIUM FUEL ONLY"... higher compression requires higher octane fuel for compression and detonation...

its your car... mess it up if you want to... but ill be waiting to see your thread "I PUT 87 OCTANE IN MY GSR... WHY IS IT MISFIRING??"

RHDTEG

Think of it this way. What is cheaper buying a new motor or spending the few extra dollars on 93.

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
So many uneducated responses, please just read mine and lock the thread or something. You can put 87 in the car, it was made to handle it. I put 87 in my car for a while and i had a decrease of about 2mpg but no damage or anything. Its better to put 91, it equals out. People just speaking hearsay on here, not actual facts especially when the ENGINEERS FROM JAPAN put in the owners manual the option for 87 octane...
It would make sense if there were no option and the car was made only for 91 octane or higher, but its not

mjones73

Do you know why the computer knows to back the timing off with lower octane gas? It can't tell what octane you put in. It will pick up pre-detonation via the knock sensor because of the lower octane fuel and it backs the timing off to protect the bearings from being beat up even more.

Personally I'd rather not be putting gas in my car on a regular basis that causes knock and timing retardation, that's just me.

speedin

The Transporter
So many uneducated responses, please just read mine and lock the thread or something. You can put 87 in the car, it was made to handle it. I put 87 in my car for a while and i had a decrease of about 2mpg but no damage or anything. Its better to put 91, it equals out. People just speaking hearsay on here, not actual facts especially when the ENGINEERS FROM JAPAN put in the owners manual the option for 87 octane...
It would make sense if there were no option and the car was made only for 91 octane or higher, but its not
How about the Engineers decision to put RIGHT ON THE DASH premium fuel ONLY. Then again in the gas door for the slower people, guess you missed that one too ;). He then went as far as to dictate that the 87 was only to be used if you could not find 91+ (ie if your s.o.l. somewhere and all there is is 87, aka emergencey). By no means was it completely designed to take 87, because it can run on it in an EMERGENCY situation with your timing curve screwed to kingdom come does not mean it should be run on it. If you pussy foot the car around on 87 it wont kill the engine and the timing can compensate. But if you bought a GSR to drive like a grandma and obsess over mpg's then you have made a terrible choice and bought the wrong car. A GSR is meant to be driven, and that means taking up in the rpm's, where 87 octane and a maxed out timing curve are bad bad ju-ju for that poor engine. You may have grannied around on 87, but for the normal person who DRIVES a GSR its a bad decision. That knock sensor that is retarding your timing so you can run 87 doesnt work above 4500 rpms, because the noise from the engine would read a false knock. You see above 4500rpms the engine produces the same amplitude and frequency of knocking. So if you actually DRIVE that GSR on 87 your going to knock up high where your timing isnt properly compensated.

Last edited:

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
I did "granny" it in 87 but an engine, according to Fuel on Modern Marvels on the History Channel, only really needs the higher octane some 5% of the time which would be hard acceleration, towing, things like that. The amount of detonation that occurs is so small that the computer compensates very quickly. But like I said, 91 is the way to go. And there is nothing wrong with driving the car lightly unless you want to wear out the engine fast... I do redline it every once and a while and take corners fast.

eiznekeM

How about the Engineers decision to put RIGHT ON THE DASH premium fuel ONLY. Then again in the gas door for the slower people, guess you missed that one too ;). He then went as far as to dictate that the 87 was only to be used if you could not find 91+ (ie if your s.o.l. somewhere and all there is is 87, aka emergencey). By no means was it completely designed to take 87, because it can run on it in an EMERGENCY situation with your timing curve screwed to kingdom come does not mean it should be run on it. If you pussy foot the car around on 87 it wont kill the engine and the timing can compensate. But if you bought a GSR to drive like a grandma and obsess over mpg's then you have made a terrible choice and bought the wrong car. A GSR is meant to be driven, and that means taking up in the rpm's, where 87 octane and a maxed out timing curve are bad bad ju-ju for that poor engine. You may have grannied around on 87, but for the normal person who DRIVES a GSR its a bad decision. That knock sensor that is retarding your timing so you can run 87 doesnt work above 4500 rpms, because the noise from the engine would read a false knock. You see above 4500rpms the engine produces the same amplitude and frequency of knocking. So if you actually DRIVE that GSR on 87 your going to knock up high where your timing isnt properly compensated.
Rep!

I did "granny" it in 87 but an engine, according to Fuel on Modern Marvels on the History Channel, only really needs the higher octane some 5% of the time which would be hard acceleration, towing, things like that. The amount of detonation that occurs is so small that the computer compensates very quickly. But like I said, 91 is the way to go. And there is nothing wrong with driving the car lightly unless you want to wear out the engine fast... I do redline it every once and a while and take corners fast.
You didn't learn that yourself, in person, so wouldn't that also be hearsay?

Cripton805

Part of what Jackal said was true and part wasn't.
What he said about the timing and knock sensor was true, but he was wrong about using it on a regular basis. I want to see where Honda mentions that anywhere. My booklet says emergencies. Only and last resort.

ONCE AGAIN I REPEAT, JDM B18C HAVE NO KNOCK SENSOR.
If you use low octane gas, you will hear some knocking and you might f*** your s*** up.

The reason might be that even their low octane isnt really that low in Japan.

Last edited:

Kevin A. Parra

Early 90's Honda Guy
I had a gsr in my civic before Never really noticed a difference when I put regular unleaded at all. hit vtec and everything. Unless it's turbo'ed it doesn't "need" to have premium unleaded. I'm sure everyone just felt guilty putting regular unleaded in their car.

Cripton805

I had a gsr in my civic before Never really noticed a difference when I put regular unleaded at all. hit vtec and everything. Unless it's turbo'ed it doesn't "need" to have premium unleaded. I'm sure everyone just felt guilty putting regular unleaded in their car.
Go try putting Low Ocatane on a 00 Celica GTS on a regular basis.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
On many cars, putting 87 in it will cause it to start knocking and throw a code for misfire, CEL comes on and the car goes into limp mode. Design feature by engineers to save some cheap ass who is too hard headed to just pony up the extra $2.

Had this happen in my Eclipse GST and my brothers Prelude VTEC back a few years after a hurricane when 87 was the only thing around and even it was hard to get to.

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
We aint talking about Celica's, we talking about Integras. "you may substitute an unleaded regular gasoline. The engine will compensate for the lower octane, but you may notice a slight decrease in power as a result" -Owners Manual