head gasket!!!

DA9teg1

Okay so i bought this cat last tuesday knew i would run into problems just didnt know how bad.

I know it needs a head gasket. Would it be safe to rebuild the engine?? Sence i dont know exactly what kind of shape its in.

Figured ill have the head off might as well atleast i can get the kit and have extra parts incase i do need it down the road. Should i just go ahead and rebuild it or just get the kit and use what i need for now or just get the head gasket???

Im going to start taking her apart tomorrow to look at the pistons and will post info on how they look.

DA9teg1

Ive talked two three mechanics 2 are very close friends.

All say that its the head gasket pouring white smoke from the exhaust kinda sweet to the smell.
Coolant in the oil and getting in the pistons.

The guy had it boosted before me and no telling what internals look like only cams as i took it off to replace o-rings.

Nick_C78

If I am being honest...you are better off buying a different motor and just swapping it in. God knows what is all wrong with that motor. Obviously a head gasket, but it was likely caused by stretched head bolts because of the boost. Also if it has been ran like this for a while you could have destroyed valves, valve guides, etc.

Dc2hercules

second the swapping, you cannn rebuild it but only a few know how to PROPERLY rebuild a motor, even then the prices are similar, you have a better chance of getting a motor n swapping it in!

DA9teg1

I have some thats guna do it for me or atleast help me.

I can barley afford to buy a rebuild kit and i wont get one out of a junk yard cause i know less bout it
Than i do the engine i have.

As i know of the guy blew the oil seals in the turbo.
And left everything there except the exhaust manifold.

DA9teg1

And no its not been ran very much other than a hours drive down the freeway home. Other than that to the store
For cigs other than that not left the yard dont have plates on it yet.

g6qwerty

If you drop some oil into the spark plug holes it smokes for quite a while.
Recommend Testing it first before you do anything. First Step in fixing anything Verify the source of the problem.

DA9teg1

Well i went ahead and took it apart needed to make sure piston and all was in good shape.

Dumbass before me ran boost on oem internals. But it was the head gasket. Had a spare that came with the car when ibought it.

Nick_C78

The rings could be done as well. Also, if I were you I would buy new head bolts. I am willing to bet those ones are stretched and is likely what caused the head gasket to blow as well.

DA9teg1

i cant afford the 200 bucks for new head bolts. but i talked to a guy he said torque it down another 5 pounds and itll be fine for now untill i get the money. for new ones but by then im rebuilding the motor anyways.

Prozon

Kris
Depending on if it's ever been rebuilt, the head bolts can probably be re-used. Although boost does increase the likelihood of them stretching. If you're going to ever boost it in the future I would recommend upgrading to ARP head studs. ($140-150?)

If you can't afford $200 for a set of head studs I don't suggest you touch the motor at all right now. Cheaping out and doing something shitty is only going to cause more problems.

Think about it this way-
$50-100 headgasket.
$30 intake/exhaust gaskets.
$150 head studs.
$25 fresh oil and filter
$20 new coolant
$50-100 at a machine shop to have your head resurfaced and pressure checked. Don't try to change a head gasket without doing this.
$100 water pump and timing belt. It's not really part of the job- but it would be stupid not to replace these in the process.

As I replied in your other thread.. check out my how-to if you're confused on the situation.
http://www.clubintegra.com/board/showthread.php?t=69825

DA9teg1

Well i already done all that took the bolts to shop and they said they are reusable.

Now im just putting vacum hoses on and bolting small stuff on.