Help! Car starts then stops!!!

So my check engine light came on on my way to work. Then after work I waited to see if it went on and nothing. I'm going home and decided to stop at the store and its raining like hell out here. I get back on my car and go and i went threw a puddle. Few seconds later my check engine light comes and car shuts down and all the lights go on. I start it again and it goes fine and does it again. I call my friend and he says it might be cause under my car it has no protector for the engine so it might be some stuff that are wet that are making my car do that. He tells me start the car and see how long it stay on but don't drive and it stays on. Then he tells me to put it on OD2 and drive car is running I get home theres a loud noise coming from the muffler. I then look underhood and theres smoke coming out!!! Help I need my teggy running! Whats wrong with it?! Did i blow up the head gasket did I f*** up the engine?! so sad right now thats my baby plz help!:(

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
Do you have a cold-air intake? If you ran over a puddle and it then had these issues, you may have hydrolocked your engine... When you say you start it and it goes fine then turns off again, what does that mean? Does it idle normally then start to shake and turn off? Open your distributor cap and dry the inside of it, may have water in there and causing misfires. Need more info.
- Aaron

Do you have a cold-air intake? If you ran over a puddle and it then had these issues, you may have hydrolocked your engine... When you say you start it and it goes fine then turns off again, what does that mean? Does it idle normally then start to shake and turn off? Open your distributor cap and dry the inside of it, may have water in there and causing misfires. Need more info.
- Aaron
My car is stock 92 Acura Integra, so I'm not sure what intake is it. I read that is hot air. When I started my car it starts normal once i go the engine light goes on then everything stays on but the car stops running. If i start the car back it goes on fine, if i sit there with the car on its like normal no noise nothing but once i go it dies but all the lights on and the dash and stereo is on. On Friday I did a donut on the freeway thanks to an asswhole that tried to cut me off, I hit the breaks or else he would of ended up hitting me throwing me off the freeway edge, i ended hitting the whole left side of my car but i hit a thing of dirt under the freeway bridge, car was find didn't sound different or anything just chipped my paint on the front bumper and scrapped my back rim. You think this had anything to do with this? cuz the day after on Saturday my car was driving fine no problems. Then Sunday ( Yesterday) is when all this happened. I was driving fine then stopped at the store there was a big puddle and drove threw it didn't really see if cuz its night and foggy. I then proceeded to drive and after a few seconds the car just kind of shaked a little and stopped running but everything else was on. Kept doing this till i put it on 2 and drove it all the way home. Once I got home opened the hood it was smoke coming out. I know i properly f***ed it up by driving it like that but I needed to get home asap. Anything else you might need to know to help me plz let me know. Im not a pro at cars but know a lil bit on how to try to get it going

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
Hmm. To further clarify, the car dies once it starts to move but if you just turn the car on and leave it idling, it runs fine correct? Does the car drive okay when you put it in D2, D1? Are you getting any money from the guy who made you crash as it sounds like it was his fault?

Hmm. To further clarify, the car dies once it starts to move but if you just turn the car on and leave it idling, it runs fine correct? Does the car drive okay when you put it in D2, D1? Are you getting any money from the guy who made you crash as it sounds like it was his fault?
Yes Correct! it dies once it moves. and if idling it fine. If i push to give it a little gas it turns off again. When I drive in D2 it drives but it sounds loud it takes a while to take off. The noise is coming loud from the muffler and it stinks. When I got home after driving it D2 i opened the hood there was smoking coming out. Yeah it was the guys fault but he kept going. Didn't stop or anything. I was going to chase him down but with this crazy rain we had here I didn't want to cause any car accidents.

i would see what code it is
I'm trying to find a place that can do that but most charge over 100$ and want me to go there I dont want to drive the car on OD the whole time. And Auto-zone doesn't do it anymore. :(

TheCrimsonStar

I'm trying to find a place that can do that but most charge over 100$ and want me to go there I dont want to drive the car on OD the whole time. And Auto-zone doesn't do it anymore. :(
Umm..if they're telling you that they're full of BS. Autozone and advance auto do free check engine diagnostics. I point people there all the time and know quite a few of the employees from the stores around here. I don't know why they are telling you they don't do them anymore.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

emd513

Autozone does do it but not your year. Has to be a 96 or newer. You can check your codes your self. You might have ruined a sensor when you went threw the puddle or your getting water in your system from all the rain.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Umm..if they're telling you that they're full of BS. Autozone and advance auto do free check engine diagnostics. I point people there all the time and know quite a few of the employees from the stores around here. I don't know why they are telling you they don't do them anymore.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Yeah I even called a few other auto places like o'reilly auto parts and they said that in the state of California you have to be certified idk I think it's bull! They said only thing they can do is tell you what a code means. Or I can buy the machine myself but the shit is over a bill too!

emd513

Just pull your carpet back and look at the blinking light and count how many times it blinks and the look up coses for acura integra on Google. Done

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
You have a '92, an OBDII scanner will not work on it so DO NOT buy one. Look up how to check the code online and come back once you come to a conclusion. Did you say the car starts to die if you give it gas in Neutral? Is your water and oil level correct? Does the idle sound perfect or is it off?

You have a '92, an OBDII scanner will not work on it so DO NOT buy one. Look up how to check the code online and come back once you come to a conclusion. Did you say the car starts to die if you give it gas in Neutral? Is your water and oil level correct? Does the idle sound perfect or is it off?
Yes, I know only the OBDI will do it but I dont want to buy. I did search online and I found this website HONDA & ACURA ENGINE LIGHT and I did exactly what it said only this time when I turned the key the Engine light goes off. If I take the wire off and comes back on. Yes the car dies if i give it gas when its on park. I started the car up today seems fine but idk I wouldn't trust it to take it out for a spin.

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
Any update? Did you get a code from the computer? Did you try driving the car around? Check the fluid levels?