Help With Interior/Audio (I guess this is for you Barry from what i've read)

OlegWasHere

Sorry for the misspell of Barry.

Alright so my project before summer is to install a good system in my car.

A co worker wants to sell me two mtx 12' subs(i think 300 watts) for 75 bucks (he said he paid 300 when he first got them a few years ago)
I could just buy a box for 75 to enclose them he said

now i'm new to this whole audio setup since Ive never really modded since i didn't have a cool teg :)

im not really sure what I need ( I searched around in the diy forum and this audio/interior/electronics and it kind of fits all three topics.

The only thing installed right now are speakers with no deck or anything( Just the harness sticking out)

i did some searching and found out i have a kenwood one din deck. (but it wont fit into my teg according to other sources)

I Have a 1995 Integra GS-R
so here are some parts(site was recommended on this forum) that would be ok price ranged for me.

Deck:(don't really like the look but ill deal since it has a aux port in the front)
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_21635_Sony_WX-GT77UI.aspx

Speakers:
http://onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_11415_JL_Audio_XR650-CW.aspx

Tweeters:
http://onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_11408_JL_Audio_XR100-CT.aspx

I really don't know if i need both or not and im assuming i need an amp to go with all this?

just looking for other advice or suggestions.
any help would be appreciated considering i want my bass boosting music back.

Last edited:

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
Who the fuck is Barry?

Of course a single din will fit your car. You just need a dash kit. Get a Metra brand. Also a harness adapter.

There are lots of stereos with aux inputs. If it's on the back, who cares? Drill a hole in the pocket in the dash kit and run the cable through it. But if you have an ipod, get an ipod deck. Don't use aux, it sucks.

Don't buy separate tweeters. They'll sound awful. Get some components. "Components" is a package of regular speakers and tweeters with a crossover to separate the frequencies properly.

JL Audio is pretty good for speakers. Some people don't like them because they sound so bright. Do yourself a favor and go listen to some speakers on display but keep in mind that they sound different in the car (usually better). For decks, look at Pioneer, Alpine, Eclipse. There are some other good brands also. For speakers look at Alpine, Infinity, Polk. There are higher end brands but it just isn't worth it. Stay away from Sony and Pioneer speakers. Stay away from Walmart. Their speakers aren't the same.

Budget for the install. Please, don't try to save money doing this yourself. You'll hate yourself later. And besides, you usually get a free deck install with deck purchase. Just go to Best Buy, they'll take care of you. They do really well with simple deck installs.

XxCaryxX

Who the fuck is Barry?

Of course a single din will fit your car. You just need a dash kit. Get a Metra brand. Also a harness adapter.

There are lots of stereos with aux inputs. If it's on the back, who cares? Drill a hole in the pocket in the dash kit and run the cable through it. But if you have an ipod, get an ipod deck. Don't use aux, it sucks.

Don't buy separate tweeters. They'll sound awful. Get some components. "Components" is a package of regular speakers and tweeters with a crossover to separate the frequencies properly.

JL Audio is pretty good for speakers. Some people don't like them because they sound so bright. Do yourself a favor and go listen to some speakers on display but keep in mind that they sound different in the car (usually better). For decks, look at Pioneer, Alpine, Eclipse. There are some other good brands also. For speakers look at Alpine, Infinity, Polk. There are higher end brands but it just isn't worth it. Stay away from Sony and Pioneer speakers. Stay away from Walmart. Their speakers aren't the same.

Budget for the install. Please, don't try to save money doing this yourself. You'll hate yourself later. And besides, you usually get a free deck install with deck purchase. Just go to Best Buy, they'll take care of you. They do really well with simple deck installs.
So true, when I got my teg a while back all the speakers were blown, and I was broke from buying the car and got walmart speakers... They are nasty.

OlegWasHere

Who the fuck is Barry?

Thanks for the advice.
the louder the better for me
yeah i didn't plan on doing it myself. more of a computer guy then an audio guy.

so do i need speakers and tweeters or one or the other.
im not saying money isn't a problem.
I only want to spend around 500 (not including an amp)

and that's the thing on my kenwood 1din came out of a galant like 500 years ago so there's no aux or iPod input.

is there a good deck with the ipod interface around at best buy. i looked at the compatibility for a deck and since it was 1din they said it was incompatible... stupid internet lol.

Ill post some pics up after i get my car back from the shop =(
stupid drivers....

Last edited:

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
MTX makes good subs. Is their power handling 300 watts RMS or 300 watts peak? Find that out, it should say on the sub's magnet if the owner doesn't know. Get the subs model # too.

$75 seems like a decent price for a box, just make sure it is made of MDF (not particle board) and the walls are 3/4 inch think, not 5/8 thick.

You can put a single DIN stereo in your integra, you just need to buy a dash kit for it. Like THIS Metra kit. Metra also make a kit with a pocket instead of a half DIN slot.
I have a 1995 GSR too. I installed my deck with the half DIN slot dash kit. I'll post a pic of it when fucking Photobucket starts working right again.

Don't buy midrange speakers and tweeters separatley, buy a component set. You'll get 2 mids, 2 tweeters and crossovers all together. Like THESE.

You spelled Barry right. I don't grow off a vine.:p
Don't send me PM's, just ask your Q's in this thread. Then everyone can read the answers and learn stuff too.

Last edited:

OlegWasHere

MTX makes good subs. Is their power handling 300 watts RMS or 300 watts peak? Find that out, it should say on the sub's magnet if the owner doesn't know. Get the subs model # too.

$75 seems like a decent price for a box, just make sure it is made of MDF (not particle board) and the walls are 3/4 inch think, not 5/8 thick.

You can put a single DIN stereo in your integra, you just need to buy a dash kit for it. Like THIS Metra kit. Metra also make a kit with a pocket instead of a half DIN slot.
I have a 1995 GSR too. I installed my deck with the half DIN slot dash kit. I'll post a pic of it when fucking Photobucket starts working right again.

Don't buy midrange speakers and tweeters separatley, buy a component set. You'll get 2 mids, 2 tweeters and crossovers all together. Like THESE.

You spelled Barry right. I don't grow off a vine.:p
Don't send me PM's, just ask your Q's in this thread. Then everyone can read the answers and learn stuff too.

the box i have to buy separate from the 75 but ill def look into that.
apparently now i wont get my car until Monday but im looking into the mtx's tomorrow ill take pics and everything. and post them up.

so with the component set would i need another set for the back or the front (whatever i don't put in)

and someone else posted your name and ive had a blackberry for 4 years so i was just in a bind haha but im glad i got it right barry

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
I thought you already had a set of speakers installed, in the back I assumed since your looking into buying tweets and mids. You don't have to put a component set in the back just because you have one in the front, if that's what your asking.

Here's my radio install, with the Metra kit I linked you to earlier:

HERE'S the Metra kit with a pocket instead of a slot for an EQ.

OlegWasHere

I thought you already had a set of speakers installed, in the back I assumed since your looking into buying tweets and mids. You don't have to put a component set in the back just because you have one in the front, if that's what your asking.

Here's my radio install, with the Metra kit I linked you to earlier:

HERE'S the Metra kit with a pocket instead of a slot for an EQ.

i bought the car stock for 1k
so whatever came (the original speakers) is what i have.
there's no deck in the car right now

i meant if i buy the component set i would have to buy a regular set(just two speakers) for the back.

i guess i don't really know the difference between tweets and speakers :???:

idk if i need an equalizer. couldn't i just use the one off my iPhone or it wouldn't matter since its hooked through the car?

so pretty much i have a stock setup with a kenwood 1din deck (not installed yet) and im trying to have a good crisp sounding car with a lot of bump(but not enough to break my windows though)

OlegWasHere

got the metra kit today for 12 bucks at advance auto.

so i went to the guy for the subs.
they are 2 12' mtx thunder subs in a custom made box.
now my concern is that the subs wont fit or the box will shit my car to the ground and it will be half slammed :shock:

Here are some pics

the inside of the box

one of the subs(he only unscrewed one so i can see it)

the beasts together

should i get it?
he says 75 is a steal
probably cause he paid 80 9 years ago...

will the whole box even fit?
could i get another box and set it up to fit...
the possibilities