How do I check my distributor coil?

DCiFound

SEAHAWKS!!
Im wondering if its the timing belt that snapped, and not the ignition coils. Everything sounds similar besides the timing issue. Which could've been that your cam gears were a tooth off, then the belt just finally snapped.

To check the timing belt, remove the valve cover. Its the thing that the spark plugs go into, and plug wires coming out. There should be 4 nuts holding it down. You don't have to remove the plugs to get it off. You will however, need to remove the plug wires for easier removal. I believe the nuts are a 10mm, but I could be wrong.

I am bored on this sunday afternoon doing laundry. Im also the type of person that likes pics with description. So here is a pic I found on google image ;)

This is the valve cover. This is a VTEC motor, so if you have an LS motor. You wont see a spark plug cover and it wont say VTEC ;) Also, in the pic below, you can see the exposed timing belt with cam gears. You wont see yours, cause there is a plastic shield covering it. By removing the cover, you can see the top of the belt and a small portion of the cam gears. The cam gears are the 2 wheels with splines on top of the motor that the timing belt wraps around. 1 is for the intake and the other is for the exhaust. Now, if the timing is off, this could be due to a cam gear is a tooth off.
Heres a link to TDC of where the cams should be
http://www.fixautopartz.com/2009/11/22/acura-integra-timing-belt-tension-adjustment

On another note, your cam gears wont look like these either. This is an aftermarket cam gears and wont look as nice with them fancy allen bolts. It will just be a single nut in the center

Let us know if its your timing belt, if not, then you learned something new and can reference this when you do end up changing your timing belt :p

Last edited:

Muckman

Not a M0derator
A compression test will test for the broken tbelt theory without having to remove the valve cover