How hard is it to replace my own engine mounts on my '93 Integra??

annauyt

Hello. I have an Integra that is really loud, and after myself and my mechanic inspected the hell out of my exhaust, the exhaust has no holes. However the car is louder inside than outside, it resonates inside loudly, increasing with engine RPM, and is accompanied by a lot of vibration from the engine. The mechanic inspected the motor mounts and found them to be bad, or "collapsed" as he put it. I never realized old motor mounts can collapse and let that buzzy engine send all it's vibes into the chassis like that. How hard is it to replace them? Is there a cheap fix I can do to eliminate this problem? Can I like, lift up the motor mounts and place a thick piece of rubber between the engine and the mount somewhere to absorb the vibrations?

Sean

What Does it sound like in your car? Raspy? Or shaky. If its raspy its most likely your exhaust, even tho your mechanics said its your motor mounts, i dont see motor mounts making the car loud, But it will shake the crap out of your car. And if your going to replace them id do it the right way and buy new motor mounts.

92gsrboy

The only one that's really difficult is the rear one...

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Really I always thought the front mount under the rad that bolts to the crossmember was a bitch

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
I've had that front one fight me, it never seemed to want to line up.

Prozon

Kris
The rear one is the only one i've had issues with, mainly because of the cramped space behind the motor. The front one can be a bitch to line up.. but I usually manage with the room up front.

A bad front mount shouldn't really effect things too much. My front mount is completely busted up and it's not screwing anything up yet lol.

hidenplanvew

Depending how bad they are I've seen people fill them with silicone.
Not silicone, you want to use poly and cook them in a non food oven or put them out side but that can take a few days for it to set up. it took mine almost 7 days to cure because of cold temps... so I had to bake them on the lowest temp for a few hours twice.

You can get a new mount on ebay and fill them but dont get the cheapest... look for people who have said good things about what the seller has

j13

Keep It Clean
the rear one is hard...just set the whole car on Jack stands and use a floor Jack with a piece of wood under the engine. replace one at a time...maybe a good idea will be not to snugg the new mounts Iin place until they are all mounted..this will give you some slack to play with when mounted up the front and rear mounts

Teggykid952

the rear one is hard...just set the whole car on Jack stands and use a floor Jack with a piece of wood under the engine. replace one at a time...maybe a good idea will be not to snugg the new mounts Iin place until they are all mounted..this will give you some slack to play with when mounted up the front and rear mounts
This^

It helps a lot