How-To: Fill Stock motor mounts with Urethane

OneTymeGSR

I plan to do this soon to my 2000 GSR, how hard will it be if i fill it when the mounts are still in the car? I have a 2nd car to drive while this stuff cures.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
I plan to do this soon to my 2000 GSR, how hard will it be if i fill it when the mounts are still in the car? I have a 2nd car to drive while this stuff cures.
its going to be impossible to do it while in the car sorry you need to take them out of the car.

corvette_88

Cheaper still you can use RTV, which I think I got a tube for like $9 at Advance Auto, actually did this on a Saturn that I have and we just use like $4 a tube silicone, which worked great too. I did it with the mounts still on the car (the Saturn), not with my Integra yet, but I might because they looked a little worn.

mirrorimg

Cheaper still you can use RTV, which I think I got a tube for like $9 at Advance Auto, actually did this on a Saturn that I have and we just use like $4 a tube silicone, which worked great too. I did it with the mounts still on the car (the Saturn), not with my Integra yet, but I might because they looked a little worn.
Please do not use RTV or Silicone. It is not hard enough to support the load you put on it. They are so soft they will be of no benefit.

corvette_88

I just replaced the tranny in my 96 and you could deff. caulk up the two outside one without removal, but the pass. side tranny mount you can take out just that without worrying about anything, according to the Acura manual. I did have the wheels off though, up on jack stands.

corvette_88

mirrorimg

I did it and it worked, on the top engine mount for a Saturn, it clunked and rattled before and after I did that and let it set up it worked just fine. It might be better to use the urethane, but I don't see your point because once the stuff I used set up it was just as tough as the normal mount rubber, if you put it in before the original is all gone it should be fine I'm sure.

mirrorimg

I still wouldnt trust it unless I knew the hardness rating of RTV. I know for a fact that normal silicone is much softer than the OEM rubber in the mounts, and more than likely will not last.

Also, this modification with the Window Weld is an upgrade over stock mounts. It has a higher hardness rating over the rubber in the stock mounts, which translates to less engine vibration and more power making it to the wheels. So in that respect, your modification is irrelevant.

User Name:

Shake those Titties!
I'm gonna end up doing this. But instead of going with straight urethane i just purchased some energy suspension mount inserts and i'm gonna fill the mounts with a little urethane then put the inserts in.

guitron88

Thanks for this info, I deff need to do this, I only got my front motor mount working good the other 3 a garbage =\ , and since where talking about motor mounts you think by doing this it will help with my shifting because every time i shift into 3,4 my gears grind.

Haxto

Excellent idea, thanx man. I've replaced lower trans mount twice, real moror once, left lower 3 times! Im gonna go dig that left one outta the trash right now and do this. Wish Id a know this before. I doubt if I'll go junk-yardin for mounts but as they break they'll get this treatment.

'99 Teg Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
Excellent idea, thanx man. I've replaced lower trans mount twice, real moror once, left lower 3 times! Im gonna go dig that left one outta the trash right now and do this. Wish Id a know this before. I doubt if I'll go junk-yardin for mounts but as they break they'll get this treatment.

they become stiff as shit after fyi

cvcrcr99

Hasport driver/trans mount, filled lower torque mounts, stock rear mount here.

Car vibrates a lot when cold. ;) Thinking of filling a stock rear mount, too

Haxto

Thanx, that IS a drawback. Still, I go thru axels/cv's like one every 10-12 months, heard that can be frm bad motor mounts. Seems like at any given time I can do a real close look and find a ripped up motor mount. My car is a salvage titled car and was in a front end colision at some point. The junk yard parts marking in yellow is all over my shit. I've been told this could be a cause of blowing thru motor mounts, frame straightness issues. Visually, it looks fine, alignment is good.