How to turn brights into lower output DIY

klutchDb7

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Hahaha thanks.. Darn thing won't work -.- if I get pissed enough maybe I'll just have u do it cuz urs work haha

nuenjin

Professional Ametuer
Wouldn't the tape on the bulb be bad idea after a while of using it?
Most vinyl electrical tapes are rated up to 180F, so read the label first. And give it a little stretch when you wrap it, it will return to its previous size and length providing you with a tightly wound product.

And coloring the high beams seems like a good idea except where one has to be wary of rabbits and deer making their way in the night. :shock:

mirrorimg

Interesting concept. You effectively turned your brights into DRL's (Daytime Running Lights). You may have also been able to simply put a few resistors inline of the power wire to the high beams, which would have reduced the amount of power feeding the bulbs, but you wouldn't have had the orange glow.

I would have gone a different route, but its a inexpensive project if you have some spare highbeam (or bad) bulbs.

SnD3

Not to kill your fun, but you can also get a clear enamel at a model, or RC shop, and paint the bulbs, to get something similar. :)

mirrorimg

Not to kill your fun, but you can also get a clear enamel at a model, or RC shop, and paint the bulbs, to get something similar. :)
Not sure how hot the highbeams get, but they probably get too hot for the paint to withstand.

Not to mention the highbeams will still be bright like they are normally, and blind the shit out of oncoming traffic. The OP uses them as driving lights. They are probably on most of the time, and because of that, they need to bee dimmer to not blind other drivers. You must have missed the "lower output" part of the thread title.

Last edited:

DC4twokone

Resident Hoodrat
This worked great!
The solder gave me a shit ton of trouble but i finally got it and it looks quite nice, i'll have to take a pic tomorrow

The Panch

The Homie
i definetly wanna do this!! but ....i cant..and dont trust my self cuting or soddering anything...at least on my own car.

can i come over and try on someone elses first