I Need A Little Bit Of Professional Advice

99Teggy

Rapid Volvo Tuned
Like I Said. Pro Advice. Nothing Stupid Like Hey Ill Buy It From You... Thats Not Advice Its An Offer.

I Talked About This Before About My 92 Gsr. Blew A Rod.
So I Wanted To See If Anyone With Experience Knows How Much Money It Will Cost To Fix This Problem... Dont Worry About Labor.. Just Parts.. We Own A Volvo Mechanic Shop I Dont Get Charged Labor There...but I Want To Know If Anyone Knows How Much Parts Will Cost... Its A B17. And Id Like To Keep It Instead Of Switching A B18 Under It..

Thanks.

heykosal

Angkorian
Definitely rebuild it. It won't cost much more than rebuilding any engine except the fact that it's really rare so the parts may cost more than average.

IMHO definitely worth building.

I know you said not to say this, but if you decide not to..can I please PLEASE buy it from you? I really need something for my engine building class....

It's not going to be cheap for quality parts, but in the end you'll be thankful. You'll have a fresh motor and you'll still maintain the rare nature of the DB2. It's sad to see how many people just throw b20s and LSVtecs in them instead of keeping the B17. Keep it pure man, rebuild the B17.

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
Here's how I see it. If you can rebuild it, then rebuild it. If you can't, then you have no choice but to get another motor.

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
Well, you really have to pull it apart and see what the damage is inside the motor. It may be a few hundred or well over a thousand; it depends on what kind of destruction that rod caused. I'd try to find a new used crank at very least.

99Teggy

Rapid Volvo Tuned
Definitely rebuild it. It won't cost much more than rebuilding any engine except the fact that it's really rare so the parts may cost more than average.

IMHO definitely worth building.

I know you said not to say this, but if you decide not to..can I please PLEASE buy it from you? I really need something for my engine building class....
lol
ok well im thinking i should rebuild it to keep it db2 pure since i love originality.

whats wrong with it?
it blew a rod.
i never race it or push it hard its just an old car i had everything new on the engine except the block so i guess over time it just broke or whatever.
makes a loud pop and ticking noise just sounds like someone threw a piece of metal in a metal cylinder and is shaking it when the engine is on..

o well ill rebuild it if its worth it....

if i just lazy booty it and put a b18 ill sell it to.... YOU mr. can i please PLEASE lol

mirrorimg

lol
ok well im thinking i should rebuild it to keep it db2 pure since i love originality.

whats wrong with it?
it blew a rod.
i never race it or push it hard its just an old car i had everything new on the engine except the block so i guess over time it just broke or whatever.
makes a loud pop and ticking noise just sounds like someone threw a piece of metal in a metal cylinder and is shaking it when the engine is on..

if i just lazy booty it and put a b18 ill sell it to.... YOU mr. can i please PLEASE lol
Unless you have a gaping hole in the block, then you didnt "blow" a rod through the block. You more than likely spun a bearing.

Total cost would be replacing all of the regular maintenance items (oil pump, water pump, tensioner, timing belt, etc), and see what the damage is (Probably a pretty mangled up rod journal on the crank if you have been driving it since). If its just a rod bearing, you may have worn through it and damaged the rod to the extent it needs replacing. Depending on how badly the crank is, you might be able to get it machined and use a thicker bearing, wont know until you bring it to a shop.

IMO, these are the parts you are looking at getting:
Oil pump
water pump
timing belt
TB tensioner
New crank/rod bearings
Machine the crank if salvageable. If it needs to be replaced, good luck finding one.
New gasket kit.

EST. PRICE: 500 in parts and machine work

If you want to go a little further:
Hone the cylinders
Replace the piston rings
Refresh the head (Guides, valve seals, valve job)

EST PRICE: 900 (which includes the above est price)

Last edited:

99Teggy

Rapid Volvo Tuned
Thanks for the info. I don't drive it I don't wana damage it more. Man. What a mess. I'll fix it

heykosal

Angkorian
lol

whats wrong with it?
it blew a rod.

I don't want the car lol I want the B17!!