Ideas for 200whp

BambinoGS

Anti-Ricer
So I've done a fair amount of research but I would like the opinions of people who really know what they're doing. I want to make 200whp on a b18a1 (1990 GS)and so far I am planning on getting BC stage 2 cam shafts, valve springs and retainers, pistons and rods (haven't decided on brand. Ideas?) getting it bored out (ideas on how much?), and possibly a port and polish. I took my car off the road till April and I have until then to try to get it to that point.

Please don't recommend Nitrous, turbo, or supercharger - I'm going N/A.

I've done my fair share of googling and searching and reading people's builds and ROTY/M winners builds for ideas.

phatintegra

Banned
If ur staying N/A. I would get higher compression pistons, Arp rod bolts, 3 angle valve job, etc. Vtec head or u prob can get away decking ur OEM head. The key is higher compression on N/A. you will need a good tune.

Its cheaper way cheaper to go boosted.

Last edited:

BambinoGS

Anti-Ricer
I considered boosting but I decided I wanted to stay N/A but later on if I wanted to boost I would have a reliable engine to do it on.

phatintegra

Banned
If your going to boosted it in the future don't put higher compression. You want to go lower compression in this case you won't make your goal on a N/A motor.

You have to pick one N/A or boosted because there are (2) different routes to build. You can't build a N/A motor then boosted. Your motor will go KABOOM. Then you build a motor for boost then decide to go N/A you just waisted money.

Prozon

Kris
Phatintegra is absolutely right. You need to choose one or the other before you build it. You can't switch it around later without replacing internals.

Integraguy04

CORNER CARVER
i will be very impressed it you make 200whp all motor on a nonvtec setup...there has only been a couple that have and it requires a whole lot of work

mirrorimg

You will not make 200whp on an N/A LS.

Ask me how I know.

Cripton805

With the parts you plan on getting you might be close to 150whp or a little over with i/h/e. You would likely beat GSRs with that setup. Turbo is the only way to go if you want more without much out of the pocket

mirrorimg

I think it's possible, but its very very expensive and requires extremely good tuning and would not be very fun to drive. Imagine the cams
It is possible, but I can assure you that the OP does not have enough money if this will be a daily driver.

For one, the amount of modifications needed to get to 200whp (big unstreetable cams, very high compression via tall pistons and shaving the head, preferable a P8R head for better flow, plus a port and polish, race gas for the high compression ($8+/gallon) as well as the fact that this car would be streetable. This will be a weekend racer, because I highly doubt he can afford to drive on race gas 150+miles per week.

Integraguy04

CORNER CARVER
You will not make 200whp on an N/A LS.

Ask me how I know.
i kno kingmotorsports did...there is a thread in the clubintegra archives and the setup they did...

but they also had about 3K$ worth of port work done to the head (flowed like a vtec head) :suprise:

mirrorimg

i kno kingmotorsports did...there is a thread in the clubintegra archives and the setup they did...

but they also had about 3K$ worth of port work done to the head (flowed like a vtec head) :suprise:
Can probably accomplish that with less money with a P8R head. The money involved makes it no worth it for the typical builder. If you want 200, go VTEC. Building an LS is more for the strong (for a honda) torque curve that a VTEC motor doesnt get until 5000.

BambinoGS

Anti-Ricer
Okay. I guess I'll think on it a bit more as to if I want to go turbo or just do some minor things to the engine. How much does the average turbo build cost? I'm talking turbo and the whole kit.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
i would spend 3k on a turbo build
this would include the piping intercooler etc, But you want to save money for a Hondata s300, and dyno tune.