Intakes - Name brand vs eBay

lowazzteg

3rd Super Mario Bro
My friend and I are arguing about whether or not name brand matters when buying a cold air intake. He thinks his $40 eBay C/A is just as good as an AEM C/A.

Please enlighten us. lol

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
Ebay is pretty much the same as AEM but 1/4 of the price. Think about it, its just a pipe with a filter. Buy Ebay intake and Name Brand Filter.

LSiNtegraDB7

I enjoy Integras.
They're pretty much the same. People pay big bucks for name brand because they're CARB legal and such. AEM puts time and money into getting their intakes legal so people in Cali don't have to worry about getting in legal issues with an intake. Other than that its just a pipe and a filter.

rockadilla

thats right.
hes right dude, it really makes almost no difference, i mean really how much difference can there be between a pipe and a filter?

XslickwhitetegX

UKDM EXPERT
The filter is the key, filter with ebay is crap, filter with aem is good,that and carb legal sticker makes the price of intake go up.

92gsrboy

^^^^he is right...filter is where its at....so with that being said the ebay intake doesnt compare to an aem unless the filter is changed to a better one

xOriginalNinjax

I'm still running the stock filter on my DA, but that's cuz I haven't done anything to the DA...

that being said, my old 95 Civic had an e-gay intake with a K&N filter on the end (and might I add, it was a MASSIVE K&N filter, around the size of a cantalope) and it worked great (when the filter stayed on...)

sumfilipinodude

I think most people say that brand name intakes are better than eBay intakes because it's ebay.. But as said before, it's all the about the filter and not the pipping. What else can you make pipping out of to make air travel through it more efficient?

jznsn2u

Piping is Piping.

The filter is what matters, and eBay intakes usually have crap filters.
x2. I have a generic cai on my car. The only reason I got is because it came with a carb legal sticker. I'm glad I didn't pay extra $$$ for a "brand name" intake.

lowazzteg

3rd Super Mario Bro
thanks for the input guys... I figured it had to do something with the filter. I guess we learn something new everyday!