integra difference

Prez

94tegT3 turbo said:
Welcome bro. Yeah the GSR is the way to go if u can't find a Type-R or don't wanna pay all that insurance. Besides, u still have the DOHC VTEC like the Type-R and if u add an intake u'd have the same horsepower or pretty damn close. However, there's no feeling like the Type-R.
thats a load of jackshit seriously. No WAY will an intake add 25hp. Maybe about 1-2hp gains at the max. The engines have different compression ratios, pistons, ect ect ect. Pretty much if yuo want forced induction theres many routes to take.
GSR Engine is a good engine to boost on, can handle 10psi on stock internals.
LS/VTEC - a B16A2 Head on a B18B1 Bottom end is an AWESOME engine to boost on.
Type R - Horrible, if you get one, stay N/A, if you go forced induction on it you'll be dissapointed with the numbers and the low boost you have to stay with.
LS - Straight no VTEC, 1.8 liter engines, very nice to turbo and are BEGGING for it.
Some info...
GSR Engine - B18C1 - Has VTEC
Type R Engine - B18C5 - Has VTEC
the Rest of the models like, SE, LS, Blah - B18B1 - Has NO VTEC

Hope that helps, and good luck on Ci :D

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Hey 94tegT3turbo, I have a question for you. How could someone who owns a boosted Integra that runs 12's possibly think that intakes add 20-25 HP? I would think that just for the simple fact of owning a boosted car, you would posess a vast knowledge of engines and how they produce power, how they respond to certain mods, how to make them run at peak efficiency, and so on. So I'm guessing...
A. You bought the car already boosted.
B. You had it boosted and someone else did all the work, or...
C. You don't own a boosted 94 LS, your full of it, and those of us on this site with half a brain know not to take anything you say seriously.
But no matter what the explaination, I think its best that you no longer respond to questions by other members, and ask some instead. Just a friendly suggestion, please ask away, that's why we're all here...

And my man Prez, an intake will not add 20-25 hp as we all know (well...not everyone :( ) but it'll add a bit more than 1-2. An intake, when added to a stock engine, will provide gains throughout the rpm range, and you could see peak HP increases by as much as 6-8 hp on a VTEC engine, perhaps a bit less on a non-VTEC engine.

DownShift96GSR

TegSox said:
Hey 94tegT3turbo, I have a question for you. How could someone who owns a boosted Integra that runs 12's possibly think that intakes add 20-25 HP? I would think that just for the simple fact of owning a boosted car, you would posess a vast knowledge of engines and how they produce power, how they respond to certain mods, how to make them run at peak efficiency, and so on. So I'm guessing...
A. You bought the car already boosted.
B. You had it boosted and someone else did all the work, or...
C. You don't own a boosted 94 LS, your full of it, and those of us on this site with half a brain know not to take anything you say seriously.
But no matter what the explaination, I think its best that you no longer respond to questions by other members, and ask some instead. Just a friendly suggestion, please ask away, that's why we're all here...

And my man Prez, an intake will not add 20-25 hp as we all know (well...not everyone :( ) but it'll add a bit more than 1-2. An intake, when added to a stock engine, will provide gains throughout the rpm range, and you could see peak HP increases by as much as 6-8 hp on a VTEC engine, perhaps a bit less on a non-VTEC engine.
Homeboy straight called you out kid. Funny stuff. Back to reality, you can actually boost all these engines, BUT boosting the Type R would just be a waste of money. If your boosting a VTEC motor, get the B18C1 instead of the C5, it'll save you time, money and one big f***ing headache.

hadjie85

if there is some air intake you could slap on to gain 25hp, point me to it. in actuality though, i really think youd need an intake, headers, cat-back, high performance plugs and wires, and a high flow cat to get 25hp. that's what i have on my car, and thats what quite a few people have estimated my HP gains as. hehe, i need to find a dyno...

as far as which car to pick, id say it sounds like money knocks a type-r outta the picture. if you are gonna drop about $3000 on a turbo, then get an LS. if you are going to bolt on stuff, get a gsr. i know thats a really basic explanation, but its not anymore complicated than that, really. tegsox explained it really well.

whatever you get, i hope all goes well! :thumbup:

94tegT3 turbo

Hey TegSox u obvioously didnt read my whole reply. I said pretty damn close. A stock GSR has 170 hp and a stock Type-R has 195 hp. If you add and intake which is about a 15 hp increase or at least on mine, you're at 185. A 10 hp difference, let's all make a big deal out of it.

94tegT3 turbo

hadjie85 said:
if there is some air intake you could slap on to gain 25hp, point me to it. in actuality though, i really think youd need an intake, headers, cat-back, high performance plugs and wires, and a high flow cat to get 25hp. that's what i have on my car, and thats what quite a few people have estimated my HP gains as. hehe, i need to find a dyno...

as far as which car to pick, id say it sounds like money knocks a type-r outta the picture. if you are gonna drop about $3000 on a turbo, then get an LS. if you are going to bolt on stuff, get a gsr. i know thats a really basic explanation, but its not anymore complicated than that, really. tegsox explained it really well.

whatever you get, i hope all goes well! :thumbup:
Are you retarded?!? Just an intake and headers would get you over 25 hp. You obviously need to find that dyno cuz you're car is around 215-225 hp, not 195. LOL

misplacedcivic

94tegT3 turbo said:
Are you retarded?!? Just an intake and headers would get you over 25 hp. You obviously need to find that dyno cuz you're car is around 215-225 hp, not 195. LOL
i think teg sox was right about this kid in his #3 speculation. lemme explain something to you real quick. i've never heard of a manufacturer boasting bigger HP gains than DC sports (12-14 increase) from bolt-on exhaust headers. maybe Mugen, but i don't know. if someone else has, i havn't heard of them. add an intake too (once again never heard of an intake boasting more than 10) and you have at MOST 24hp, but not likely. don't overestimate bolt-ons. they better the performance in a noticable way, but not by outrageous numbers. hadjie's car is not NEAR 215-225 hp
to prove my point: i know a guy who put a B18C1 in his 95 civic coupe. he added dc sports headers, air intake, and apexi catback exhaust. he dynoed it and it had 166 wheel hp. it was a 5 speed by the way.
don't make outrageous claims. and don't talk trash to other people who've seen and done this stuff. they know. so don't quote what people tell you their air intake is giving them for a HP increase

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
You said it, misplacedcivic. I'll build on what you said.
94tegT3turbo is locked in the "Lego building" mentality of modding cars. In his world...
Intake = 10-15 HP
Header = 15-20
High flow cat = 5-10
Exhaust = 10-15
Please correct me if I'm wrong on the numbers, because I don't live i your world.
Sooooo, of course, put all these parts onto your car and your at approximatley 50 HP, right? He's been had by the advertisers into believing their ads, they did their job well. From an I/H/C/E on my GSR, I was at 230 HP. Wow, I never would have guessed. But now, I've add cams, good for another 20-30. So now I can hang with boosted Integras with my 255 HP NA beast. This world is great, all laws of physics are out the window, not to mention common sense, who needs that? The advertisers told me this is what my car is producing, so it must be true. And best of all, my butt dyno creates more power than an actual dyno, and its free! I'm never leaving. La La La La Laaaaa La La La La Laaaaaa.....
OK, back to reality, not as fun as 94tegT3turbo's world, but notheless we're stuck here. Dude, if you want to believe your intake gave you +15 HP, you go right ahead. But please, don't infect these boards with your condition. We need our fellow Integra drivers to stay here with us and learn how these aforementioned parts affect an engines output, how they interact with one another and work TOGETHER as a SYSTEM to make power.

Last edited:

V-TEGkickINGin

whatsupp

type r cost more than 10 thousand and is rare, hard to get for cheap, way faster than gsr. quarter mile is around 14.2 to 14.5, fast. if u can try to look for type r and if u find one thats cheap check if its a b18c5. OK LATE

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Stock Type R's run a quarter mile in the high 14's.
Stock GSR's, high 15's.
Stock LS, RS, GS, SE, low 16's.

Last edited:

Prez

i say fuck the B18C1 and C5, get a B20/VTEC with a Type R Tranny and im a happy camper.

Dc2 Powered

if thats so why would people pay a extra 10 thousnd for a type ri nstead of a gsr?

the type r is basicaly a streetlegal race machine. the breaks the suspension etc it could outhandle most cars when it was at its peek, a gsr and a type r have diff horsepower yes but no intake will make a gsr a type r.

Team-Integra.net said:
Easily one of the biggest and most influential sport compact automobiles to date, the 3rd generation took the Integra to new heights. The dramatic change in body style was not accepted immediately by Integra loyalists from the 2nd generation. To some, actually, it still hasn't. However there is no arguing that in 1994, the Integra was to become a different car. The 1.8L 142HP, 127 ft-lbs. torque engine from the previous year's GS model found it's way into the 1994 RS and LS models. The highly praised GS-R model was given a new, more powerful 1.8L DOHC VTEC engine outputting 170HP and 128 ft-lbs. of torque.

In 1995, the Integra Special Edition was added to the line-up and was praised to be the most luxurious Integra and more closely resembled the image Acura had been wanting to portray. It was the first Integra to offer leather seats as a standard feature. The Special Edition was originally going to be offered for only a limited time however Acura chose otherwise.

OBD-II (On Board Diagnostics II) was implemented into the computer system of the 1996 model Integras. The new computer system now added more sensors as well as changing the chip's programming to meet stricter emissions guidelines and to better diagnose engine problems. While the introduction of the new system sounds good to most practical people (obviously not the type of people we are), this change was extremely looked down upon by the performance enthusiasts as the ECM (Engine Control Module, also referred to as ECU) would no longer accept reprogramming. If anyone wanted to modify their engine computer they would have to buy an entirely new aftermarket unit which can only be programmed once. This added a large expense and hassle to those who wanted to keep their engine computer system running at optimum performance with whatever modifications they might have done to their Integra. However companies like A'PEXi and Fields have come to the rescue and offered ECM "piggy-back" systems that do give a slight amount of reprogramability however still nothing can beat a fully aftermarket customized ECM. There is speculation concerning the performance of OBD-II. Alot of Integra owners will testify that OBD-I Integras perform better because of less restrictive emissions equipment. This has not been thoroughly tested nor has it been done in an equal and fair manner so there's really no telling which is better.

It's pretty fair to say that in 1997, the largest and most notable point in Integra history took place. It was the year the Integra would truly make it's mark in automotive history for years to come. The 1997 model year Integras had already arrived at the dealerships, however in July, Acura received Integras in a new never before seen trim level. After nearly two years of rumors and speculation, the highly talked about limited edition Integra Type R showed that it was, in fact, a reality. The Type R was an instant hit and sent car enthusiasts scrambling for the dealers hoping to find one of these rare items. The Type R uses a refined version of the GS-R's DOHC VTEC engine, and is able to crank out an astonishing 195HP and 130 ft-lbs. torque. The new engine could safely rev up to a heavenly 8400 RPMs, pushing piston speeds past that of any production car as well as most Formula 1 race engines. The suspension and unibody have also been upgraded and a torque-sensitive (Torsen) Limited Slip Differential had been added to the transmission to create what alot of experts have called the "best handling FWD car in the world". Only 750 Type R's were imported to North America (U.S. and Canada) that year and the number has slowly increased to 1500 for the final 2001 model year. That year Honda showed the automotive industry what engineering was all about, as the engine in the Type R had the highest specific output of any naturally aspirated, consumer available engine in the world. Currently, it stands 2nd place to the Honda S2000 in specific engine output. The Integra Type R has since become the standard in how all new sport compacts are judged. Even cars ranked in a higher class have been pitted against the Type R and they have often found themselves having their egos cut in half after the $25,000 Honda carrying the little 1.8L naturally aspirated engine just gave them a lesson in Ass-Kicking 101 at the track. There is no doubt that the Type R's home is at the race track, most of the street-minded luxury power cruisers have tried and failed when competing with the R on it's home turf. No joke, this car can run the 100ft slalom in the same time as a Ferrari. Of course I have only begun to scratch the surface of what has been put into this car. Check out our Type R special for the real deal.

As if there wasn't enough to do with the Type R hype flying about, Acura decided to make some other changes to their lineup by changing the name of the Special Edition (SE) to a the more permanent and traditional name of the GS. They had decided the SE would be a permanent part of the Integra line-up to show that the Integra was indeed an Acura sophisticated luxury car that belonged in Acura's line-up. Cassette players were upgraded to CD players on all model Integras. Also in 1997, the horsepower ratings for the RS, LS, and GS went down to 140HP and torque lowered to 124 ft-lbs caused by stricter emissions guidelines

Rumors and fake computer images were flying around for the 1998 model year as an exterior change was announced. However just about all of them turned out to be nothing more than false ways to get attention and money to the information hungry car magazines (as are most car rumors). The change in styling was only slight, as you can see from the pictures above however the change did help keep the current model Integra running stronger than it would have if there were no changes for the entire 94-2001 run. The front bumper changed to a slightly more angled shape and the painted bar across the mouth of the bumper was removed. The headlights were angled more inward in order to fit the new bumper. The rear bumper stayed basically the same shape however a lower bar-like shape was added to the bottom. The tail lights were also altered and the orange-colored turn signal reflector was replaced with a red reflector. This blended the turn signal in with the brake light and gave a higher quality "one piece" look. Alloy wheels were also added to the LS model.

Acura had some intense competition from the other luxury "names" such as Lexus (Toyota), Infinity (Nissan), and Audi (Volkswagon), as well as the European tried and true companies like BMW and Mercedes. To better compete, Acura had decided they wanted to go more upscale and hit a more mature demographic and they felt the Integra was bringing them down. In 1999, Acura killed the RS from the Integra line-up and put standard leather seats into the GS-R. The Type R was also not offered in the U.S. for 1999 because Acura felt it's lack of luxury features was not helping the upscale image standard that had been set. This caused a tremendous outcry as enthusiasts thought Acura was not going to allow Type R's to ever see U.S. shores again. However the death threats...uh, I mean voices, from automotive enthusiasts all over the country were heard and the Type R was brought back for the 2000 model year. Oh did I say death threats? I wouldn't know anything about that of course because that would be, well, bad. You believe me right? Of course you do ;-)

After the world-wide display of Y2K stupidity, the world realized it was still alive, computers were still working, and Acura was still selling Integras, hooray! OBD-II Ver.2 was introduced for the 2000 models and more closely resembled the OBD-I system in sensor placement however the ECM was still as un programmable as ever. The GS-R's exhaust manifold was shortened, causing 2000 GS-R owners to be out of luck if they had their eye an a special cat-back exhaust system made for up to the '99 models because now it wouldn't fit, doh!

Nothing known changed in 2001, except now all Acuras get floormats as a standard feature. This year signifies the final run of the 3rd generation Integra. For Acura, the Integra dies this year and will be replaced by what they have called the RS-X. In order to look more upscale, Acura wanted to incorporate the luxury-car requirement of random patterns of alphanumeric symbols in place of a name for Integra replacement. Whatever happens with the RS-X, the Integra will always have a place in Honda enthusiasts' hearts and will undoubtedly hold it's ground for years to come as being one of Honda's most desired sports coupes. We'll miss you Integra!

Dc2 Powered

Team-Integra.net said:
Trim Levels

RS: Regular Series. Available in both coupe and sedan. No sedan available in 1998. Model dropped in 1999. Equipped with the B18B1 DOHC engine putting out 142 HP and 127 ft-lbs. of torque. In 1997, power ratings dropped to 140HP and 124 ft-lbs. of torque. As always, the stripped down model. Standard features were a cassette player, rear window defroster, and tilt steering wheel. Cassette player replaced with CD player in 1997.

LS: Luxury Series. Available in both coupe and sedan. From the RS, the LS adds air conditioning, power windows and door locks, cruise control, and a moonroof. In 1998, the LS became equipped with alloy wheels and in 2000 was given a leather wrapped steering wheel and shift knob. The LS is most popular non-VTEC model Integra and arguably best value.

SE: Special Edition. Available in both coupe and sedan starting from 1995. SE's are only found in 1995 and 1996 model years until they were changed to be named the GS in 1997. From the LS, it added leather seats, alloy wheels on all years, and a rear wing spoiler.

GS: Grand Series. Available in both coupe and sedan starting from 1997. Same standard features as the SE.

GS-R: Grand Series Racing. Available in both coupe and sedan. Equipped with the B18C1 DOHC VTEC engine outputting 170HP and 128 ft-lbs. of torque. Same standard features as the GS minus the leather seats. However, leather seats ended up becoming a standard feature on the GS-R starting in 1999. Again, no auto transmission available for this car.

Type R: Type Racing. Available in coupe only starting from 1997. Not available in the U.S. in 1999. Equipped with fully tuned B18C5 DOHC VTEC engine outputting 195HP and 130 ft-lbs. of torque. Check the Type R Special for the technical differences on this car. Standard features were exclusive of the rest of the models and in 1997, included black mesh/suede bolstered seats with red stitching, mid-height rear wing, front lip spoiler, body colored side rocker panels, shaved door moldings, leather wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, power windows and door locks, and exclusive white powder-coated light-weight alloy wheels with 5-lug configuration. In 2000, added standard features were an aluminum shift knob, gunmetal lightweight alloy wheels, and air conditioning. As with the GS-R, no automatic transmission was available for the Type R. But if you were thinking about getting this car with an automatic transmission you shouldn't be thinking about this car at all.
i had to make 2 post because it wouldnt fit in 1